You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Vandals have cut off the nose of a statue of Zlatan Ibrahimovic outside Malmo's stadium in Sweden.

It is the latest act of vandalism directed at the statue since it was announced that Ibrahimovic had invested in a rival club last month.

d497d1ee-4f85-449d-803a-57182d5b9189.jpg

Look at all that beak!!

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Vandals have cut off the nose of a statue of Zlatan Ibrahimovic outside Malmo's stadium in Sweden.

It is the latest act of vandalism directed at the statue since it was announced that Ibrahimovic had invested in a rival club last month.

Good luck to them trying to hide 40 tonnes of concrete 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Spurs have appealed Son's red card.. Mourinho cliams its to avoid punishing Son 5 times. 1st time for rudiger fouling him and getting away with it, second time for the actual incident and each time for Son missing spur's matches. What a cunt!

The cunt must have cried all night

Guest Pistonbroke
34 minutes ago, aws said:

If he loses his appeal he might miss our game. 

Indeed, will be interesting to see if they extend his ban to 4 games as any appeal will surely be thrown out. Mind you, we are talking about the incompetent F.A here. 

Guest Pistonbroke
12 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I'm surprised they're appealing particularly when running the risk of the additional game ban against ourselves. 

All part of the current plan to make us champions ahead of City. 

1 hour ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Spurs have appealed Son's red card.. Mourinho cliams its to avoid punishing Son 5 times. 1st time for rudiger fouling him and getting away with it, second time for the actual incident and each time for Son missing spur's matches. What a cunt!

Just watched this.

What a deluded cunt he fucking is.

They should ban Son for 5 games to shut him the fuck up.

Also moaning about VAR and saying it's killing the game.

Not going to argue with him on that point in essence, but both decisions yesterday were spot on.

The issue with VAR is the clueless cunts making the decisions, not the technology. The Mane incident sums this point up.

It’s a dangerous precedent to set if they overturn the Red Card. Bearing in mind that it wasn’t given by Taylor at the time but given by VAR.

Regardless of opinions of the current state, if the overturn, then what the FA are saying is that the technology (and those running it) isn’t fit for purpose. As they don’t limit the time to review a decision 

It should either stand, or extend the ban for appealing 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, skaro said:

Didn't know where to post this (already posted it on the MF), so thought maybe here (apologies for length and self-indulgence)...

It was my son's 12th birthday yesterday.

While we were celebrating, I got news that my friend Gary Talbot has passed away in Chester, aged 82.

It was because of my son that Gary and I knew each other.  Gary's daughter, Annabel, and my wife met at mother's group here in Melbourne and, so our families got to know one another from there.

Some years back when Gary was on a visit to Australia, we spent a lot of time together over the Christmas holiday period - it was just one of those things where the two of us clicked, and became instant mates.

Gary, Blackburn-born, was a press photographer in the north-west - and it was playing in a charity football match involving local journalists that he caught the eye of Chester City's manager in the mid-1960s. Gary was 25 at the time, but the Chester manager invited him to play for the club.

He scored in his first game against Newport County and went on to become Chester's highest-ever goalscorer by the time he retired.

Bill Shankly watched him play once and was very impressed, saying that it was a pity Gary was "too old" for a possible move to Liverpool at the time.

Gary still holds the record for the fastest-ever hat-trick in the FA Cup - against Crewe.

As a photo journalist, he was a match-day photographer at Goodison and did stints at Anfield too.

Gary and his camera were on the pitch in our 1965 FA Cup triumph - he was there at the invitation of Don Revie, whom he knew.

Gary was the photographer at Ian Rush's first wedding (the perm days!), and was good mates with Michael Owen's Dad.

One day in his billiard room, Gary showed my his photographic portfolio - it has shots of all kinds of luminaries in it: Princess Di, Bobby Charlton, Tom Jones, and countless eclectic mixtures of other people, including Presidents and Prime Ministers.

Most recently, he was honorary life President of Chester FC and was chiefly behind Liverpool playing there in a fundraiser a year or two ago.

Gary was a Bluenose, but an old-fashioned one without a chip on his shoulder - as an ex-footballer he was just affable and fair-minded about the game.

He and his wife lived in Eccleston, Cheshire - somehow when they were young, they managed to secure a lifetime lease on the village manor house, which is owned by the Duke of Westminster.

I stayed there when I took my boy to Anfield for the first time in 2017 against Crystal Palace - we haven't lost in the League at Anfield since that day (that's my son with Gary in the picture below, watching the 2017 FA Cup semi-final at his local in Chester).

I was hoping to see Gary one more time as I knew his days were numbered - a heart condition and most recently, lung cancer.

Tragically, he died yesterday while his daughter was en route from Melbourne to Manchester - she wanted to see him for Christmas and perhaps be at his deathbed. 

Private tributes have already begun to flow in for him - one already from his friend, Micheal Parkinson.

Gary was, simply, a terrific bloke.

He was my personal connection with that part of the world, the city of Liverpool and the club.

20170423_023149.jpg

GARY.jpg

I met him in the 80’s when he was a photographer in Chester.  I was bored out of my mind whilst my Aunty chose some pictures and he told me the story of his hat trick in the FA Cup.  

• Upvote 1