You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Although I do see the need for improvements at fullback in the squad, it would be well down my list of priorities. I think both TAA and Robbo have performed very well and I would suggest will only get better after building on this season. Outside of that, backup from Clyne, Gomez, and Moreno. Not ideal, but I'd be addressing several areas of the squad before even thinking about that. RCB, GK, CM/DM, and at least two attackers would come before the fullbacks.

As for Sessegnon... no thanks.

Why no on Sessegnon? He’s quality for his age and the fact he stayed put last year instead of chasing money and PL football shows he’s pretty mature and realistic. He looks a level above any 17 year olds I can remember seeing, barring a man child Wayne Rooney at 17.

I haven’t seen us linked with full backs anywhere and Klopp seems amazingly ambivalent about them in light of their importance to our tactical set up. He’s been more than happy to go with an idiot, a child, an unheralded lad from a relegated club, a centre half and a midfielder there over the last two seasons and, despite the brilliance of three of those decisions, I still think we look very light there.

In my view, if we don’t have at least one more player with pace and crossing ability for the full back positions (right back is probably most pressing in my view), we’ll come unstuck in a genuine title challenge. We will have to use full backs very high up the pitch to give us the width to unlock parked bus defences next season and right now we only have Trent and Robbo who can do that consistently and securely.

I suspect Klopp will either not bother or else he’ll sign Sessegnon and ask him to play at both left back and left forward at various times. However, out of interest, which young full backs do any of you hipsters/nerds think would be a good fit for us?

We’ve got Trent plus two England internationals at right back. Robbo and Moreno (point taken) at left back, plus Milner who’s shown he can be good on both sides.

I would say full back is the position we’ve got more depth of quality in than any other.

What makes people so confident on Pulisic yet so down on Sessegnon. Both will cost a fortune. One has scored more goals in his breakthrough season than the other has in his career with a couple of years to spare and starting from a defensive position much of the time. You can make the point that Pulisic is playing at a higher level but I'd hazard a guess that a lot of lower half sides in the bundesliga wouldn't look out of place in the championship and vice versa.

What's more is the fact one is British so actually gives us a faint hope of keeping him from Barca and Madrid when he becomes world class where as Pulisic would be gone within 3 seasons.

Don't get me wrong I think they're both class and would be thrilled with either, I just don't see the overwhelming case for one and not the other.

Why no on Sessegnon? He’s quality for his age and the fact he stayed put last year instead of chasing money and PL football shows he’s pretty mature and realistic. He looks a level above any 17 year olds I can remember seeing, barring a man child Wayne Rooney at 17.

Massive amount of money required for unproven talent, in my opinion. The £100m asking price is way over what I'd want to pay for such unproven, untested talent.

Massive amount of money required for unproven talent, in my opinion. The £100m asking price is way over what I'd want to pay for such unproven, untested talent.

They’ll never get £100m for him whilst he’s playing Championship football, if they go up and he stays and does similar in the PL next year then the figure would start to creep towards £100m. He could score 50 goals next season in the Championship and still wouldn’t command that sort of fee.

Surely no one will pay 100m for Sessegnon. Market is crazy yeah, but that would be ridiculous piss taking. As you say he is unproven. Cant see anyone forking up that amount.