You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Haha yeah, can you imagine for example Paul Tierney siding with a Liverpool challenge to a decision Anthony Taylor had made?

”Yes, he’s pulled out a gun and murdered Salah in the six yard box, happy to stick with your original decision, no penalty”.

If teams are only given a small amount of challenges, say 3 or 5 per season then we don't need VAR guys. If Taylor screws us and we feel its worth challenging then he goes to the screen. Oli will still be doing his thing bringing up the pictures. If Taylor still screws us then he can't hide behind anyone but himself.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, No2 said:

If teams are only given a small amount of challenges, say 3 or 5 per season then we don't need VAR guys. If Taylor screws us and we feel its worth challenging then he goes to the screen. Oli will still be doing his thing bringing up the pictures. If Taylor still screws us then he can't hide behind anyone but himself.

The way we are reffed, we'd need to use them all up before the run-in just to stay in contention. Then PGMOL's finest can really fuck us up knowing we have used up all our lifelines. Shit idea, and I'm someone who once wrote at length on this forum about using video technology, and even suggested that coaches have maybe 2 challenges per half. With the way PGMOL do things, they would almost certainly do something truly calamitous AFTER there are no challenges left.

2 hours ago, Code said:

Is it possible to find offside stats from different seasons?

I have a feeling players are more aware of offside these days, and there should be a drop in offsides over a season compared to before VAR got introduced. 

Those stats would also be hugely impacted by not flagging for offside when offside half the time.

if someone is offside but the flag doesn’t go up until the ball is in the keepers hands and the ref allows play on cause the keeper has it, that’s still offside but wouldn’t show in the stats, hence skewing the comparison.

https://x.com/SkySportsPL/status/1724502463393259573?s=20

This is great, gives a view inside the mind of how the reffing cabal works. It's all about process and getting the tiny details correct. Fuck the blindingly obvious cluster fucks that just required 1 look for any functioning adult. We have 6 minutes of the lads going through the routine and Webb praising the process. We will ignore the fact the VAR describes 2 hands into his back as not a foul. Then he finishes it all by casually mentioning with the cold light of day 2 red cards should have been awarded. No worries though because these lads know every inch of the rule book and after 4 minutes reached the correct decision (in their opinion) on the goal.

As an aside why no retrospective punishment for the Saudi cunt? Havertz is fine, playing him is punishment enough. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Code said:

Is it possible to find offside stats from different seasons?

I have a feeling players are more aware of offside these days, and there should be a drop in offsides over a season compared to before VAR got introduced. 

Filippo Inzaghi had also retired by then, so there's that.

On 13/11/2023 at 18:17, Trumo said:

The way we are reffed, we'd need to use them all up before the run-in just to stay in contention. Then PGMOL's finest can really fuck us up knowing we have used up all our lifelines. Shit idea, and I'm someone who once wrote at length on this forum about using video technology, and even suggested that coaches have maybe 2 challenges per half. With the way PGMOL do things, they would almost certainly do something truly calamitous AFTER there are no challenges left.

We were always promised that VAR was for the biggest decisions. Surely at 5 a year that covers it. And if we're right, we keep our appeal. I've no issue with a day where the Diaz goal that caused so much controversy, was just offside as per the lino, unless we think it's so bad we appeal. That has to be better than what we see today. 

8 hours ago, Barnesey said:

We’ve also binned the concept of “level”.

Well I think we did previously, but they moved the margins in favour of the forwards.  It means the very close ones are now one, but I think that now works both ways. I think all offside VAR is against the spirit of the law, but at least that marging they introduced last year or the year before makes it more in favour of forwards.

I think VAR for offside has reinvented the rule though, so I'd agree with that. And it's not for the better. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Video assistant referees have been asked to be more proactive in challenging officials following a series of controversial decisions.

"We are asking VARs to have a look and if they don't like the decision, ask the referee what they saw," said Webb.

Useless, clueless twats just keep on making it worse....another shite idea that will lead to more red cards as refs look at stills that make things look worse and of course it is re-reffing of game which can only be a bad thing 

Time and time again they have chances to make it better and they haven't got the brains or the will to do so.

Cunts.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Video assistant referees have been asked to be more proactive in challenging officials following a series of controversial decisions.

"We are asking VARs to have a look and if they don't like the decision, ask the referee what they saw," said Webb.

which is pretty much the exact opposite of what he said when he took the job on when he said he was making the bar higher for interference involvement from the VAR. he hasn't got a clue what he is doing. he needs to be fired. 

• Upvote 1

We’re stuck with it so just use it for offside and otherwise go with the ref’s decision except where he is so wrong he couldn’t have had a proper view. Basically stop questioning judgement calls except in extreme cases. At the moment they’re using it like some Court of Appeal where every major decision has to be pored over. 

12 minutes ago, aws said:

We’re stuck with it so just use it for offside and otherwise go with the ref’s decision except where he is so wrong he couldn’t have had a proper view. Basically stop questioning judgement calls except in extreme cases. At the moment they’re using it like some Court of Appeal where every major decision has to be pored over. 

i think this is what annoys me with it most. it was supposed to stop the howlers. the ones where even when most of it is subjective, they outcome is so clear, that it just must be over turned. instead, all they do is just keep fucking about, changing the threshold, trying to make themselves the centre of every single game. it's got to a point now since webb has been running the show, where barely a weekend round of matches passes where the biggest talking point is someone who works for him. i would really like it if we could get back to football. 

i have just popped in to see a customer this afternoon - we always have a football chat and it was only about VAR. it's so shit and it feels like everyone feels like that now. the number of supporters it has are getting fewer and fewer. 

The madness to me is the referee can't just say on mic "that looked heavy but I couldn't see can you please check". Sure you put protocols in for that, but why force the ref onto an island when you've put a system in place that can help them.

Also having it mainly managed by referees undermines the potential for governance, which would appease fans far more than actual on field impacts.