You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

39 minutes ago, an tha said:

So when it affects the media darlings the bbc go with it is 'out of control' headline...a comment made by nomark Owen Hargreaves....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67360088

For once the HYS comments are reasonably well balanced.   
Has the beeb always had a love in with the Mancs or is it just snce they moved BBC Sport to Salford? 

The United game last night was another example of VAR ruining matches. The referee and lino let the 3 big decisions go. Then VAR got involved and started making the decisions for them. The referee and his assistants are useless at this point because VAR man is now demanding a red card and penalties. I thought all 3 decisions were stupid. Rashford is a clown but that's not a red card. The two penalties for handball were absurd. None of these incidents would have happened if it wasn't for VAR getting involved.

Win, lose or draw, it has completely sucked the life out of the game.

It was always going to ruin our enjoyment of Football but it is getting continually worse now to the point where some sort of protest needs to take place. People need to vote with their feet.

• Upvote 1

Mac Allister's 'handball' and the move that followed was cleared by the Toulouse defence so it started another phase of play, and I think another after that, which is when we scored. So for them to go back as far as they did means the dickhead in the VAR doesn't understand the rules of the game, and the ref completely forgot what had happened on the pitch in front of his very eyes.

I keep saying it but the technology, while not flawless, is not the problem. It's the people in charge of using it that are making a right Zlatan of things and ruining games.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

Mac Allister's 'handball' and the move that followed was cleared by the Toulouse defence so it started another phase of play, and I think another after that, which is when we scored. So for them to go back as far as they did means the dickhead in the VAR doesn't understand the rules of the game, and the ref completely forgot what had happened on the pitch in front of his very eyes.

I keep saying it but the technology, while not flawless, is not the problem. It's the people in charge of using it that are making a right Zlatan of things and ruining games.

Until we have AI/robot referees, we will always have humans in charge of VAR & humans make mistakes.

Let's go back to one line of mistakes as opposed to the two or three lines we currently have.

Fuck it off.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Agree with all that, especially the last paragraph, but I’m beginning to doubt whether there will ever be those competent or unbiased enough to make it work properly. If that’s the case it needs fucking off.

8 minutes ago, Trumo said:

It was handball under the current standard. No argument from me. It has made things a lot easier to decide and this was never going to be given,in fact it was poor refereeing to play on even.

33 minutes ago, an tha said:

They are re-refereeing games with it now - and that is a recipe for disaster and the sort of shite we are seeing game after game after game now.

More inconsistency and more subjectivity is being created and the game is suffering badly as a result.

VAR is the underlying problem. Just let the refs ref and accept their decisions. Shit decisions have been happening for decades and VAR is not doing anything to change that,so why the fuck bother? Follow the money is my suggestion. That is who is benefiting from it.

48 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It was handball under the current standard. No argument from me. It has made things a lot easier to decide and this was never going to be given,in fact it was poor refereeing to play on even.

Didn't it hit his chest first though then onto his arm? I thought that meant it wasn't a foul 

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

VAR is the underlying problem. Just let the refs ref and accept their decisions. Shit decisions have been happening for decades and VAR is not doing anything to change that,so why the fuck bother? Follow the money is my suggestion. That is who is benefiting from it.

The problem IMO is not the tool, it is the tools using it.

So what you have now is more people taking a view of things and as i said earlier that means more subjectivity and as a result more inconsistency is being created. The more cooks situation, and worse still the extra cooks have a tool they are using eratically...

VAR IMO should not be being used for subjective decisions like fouls or frankly even handball - it should be for objective decisions only. That would be a good start.

Although frankly I have so little faith in the idiots using it that i feel now even that is beyond them and we should just go back to onfield only - people can accept wrong decisions will happen with just a ref onfield - what drives people insane is when we still got wrong decisions or even worse a decision becomes even worse after VAR intervention or of course when there is a failure to intervene.

Just bin bag it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Didn't it hit his chest first though then onto his arm? I thought that meant it wasn't a foul 

Yeah,but because he gained an advantage and a goal was scored,I imagine that is the reason they will give. It should have been given at the point of the handball but they have little idea what the fuck they are doing and are leaving it all up to fuckin VAR.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, an tha said:

The problem IMO is not the tool, it is the tools using it.

So what you have now is more people taking a view of things and as i said earlier that means more subjectivity and as a result more inconsistency is being created. The more cooks situation, and worse still the extra cooks have a tool they are using eratically...

VAR IMO should not be being used for subjective decisions like fouls or frankly even handball - it should be for objective decisions only. That would be a good start.

Although frankly I have so little faith in the idiots using it that i feel now even that is beyond them and we should just go back to onfield only - people can accept wrong decisions will happen with just a ref onfield - what drives people insane is when we still got wrong decisions or even worse a decision becomes even worse after VAR intervention or of course when there is a failure to intervene.

Just bin bag it.

Is the right answer.