You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing day left hook v Those welsh wankers Swansea.

Guest Pistonbroke

Gomez should be in the middle now. With Klavan, and then with VVD If that ever happens.

Looking at TAA and Roberson i find it hard to fathom how they have not nailed down the spots.

Clearly Gomez' forte is at CB so even more baffling that hes being compared, negatively, by some, to TAA at RB.

Klopp seeems to prefer Gomez at RB and personally I think he is wrong - I can understand him wanting to protect TAA and ease him in but for my money the old adage of if you are good enough you are old enough......Owen, Rooney et al spring to mind.

TAA is a better RB than Gomez (that isn't a knock on Gomez by way) and especially so in our system. IMO

Winning in 2nd/3rd gear is exactly how we should be playing against the bottom teams at times, it keeps us fresher for the bigger games. You’ll always get idiots moaning at it, it’s normally the same idiots who moan at rotation and then moaned last January when we run out of steam and scraped 1-0s (in 3rd gear) some people aren’t ever happy.

People complaining about Oxlade-Chamberlain today are thick as shit, he won the ball back a few times, kept the ball moving, moved the ball up the pitch quickly and scored a goal but that wasn’t good enough? Fuck me what more do people want? Henderson, Can or Wijnaldum rarely make the runs beyond the striker that AOC did today, he created so much space for Firmino and Coutinho by dragging their midfield and Fullbacks all over the place, he’s improving very quickly.

Bang on.

Exactly what we needed to do with the way other results had panned out today. We weren't in top form but we never needed to be. It made for a stress-free afternoon and we even managed to score after the 74th minute! Swansea had largely given up by then and we could have got a few more if we really wanted.

Solanke did everything to try and score, and had 3 opportunities. The one from Milner's deflected cut-back was difficult, the one where he slid in and was inches away from connecting is the sort of chance that a striker in a rich vein of form would bury, and the volley that flew just wide would have been the goal of the game had it gone in. Big Bad Dom needs a goal.

Swansea only mustered a few chances, the best of which was a Jordan Ayew headed that Mingolet saved comfortably. Perhaps their only other real moment was the Abraham header right on the final whistle that Mignolet's wrists were strong enough to tip over. Other than that, Swansea were relatively need and tidy, far from alehouse and not exactly parking the bus.

Coutinho's opener was a trademark belter and Fabianski never read it. In the first half, we were getting into some great positions and the openings were there but the final ball was hurried too often.

Firmino should have scored before half time after we won the ball back well, but he chose to cut onto his right foot when the defender was not even close to being dragged out of position, and it left him with only Fabianski's right to aim at. He put the shot wide. He did much better in the second half when finishing off Coutinho's pinpoint free kick into the box. He got a second and the game's 4th goal after Swansea lost the ball in midfield and Salah played it square.

There was a minute when the two full backs each played fantastic long diagonal passes. Both looked like Gerrard in his pomp. Trent A-A's pass was an absolute beauty from which Firmino outpaced Olsson and won us a free kick. I think it was a minute later and he'd scored after intercepting a clearance and clattering the ball into the roof of the net. Robertson's pass nearly put Salah in - the Egyptian managing to reach the ball but with no room to get a shot past Fabianski. It was a great bit of play though.

AOC got reward for some persistence in and around the box, and that was a deft little volley into the far top corner. He and Wijnaldum had looked sharp all afternoon even if it didn't result in too much productive forward play (Coutinho was bossing things in the creative third), and that's much better than the sluggishness served up in the West Brom game.

Swansea were well beaten already, but it was nice to see our subs making an impact on a game that had long since become a training exercise. We might not have filled our boots in that period but Lallana, Solanke and Milner all played with the hunger that I want to see from all our players.

• Upvote 1

Neither TAA or Gomez will be playing full back within the next couple of years. Gomez Will start next season as one of our first choice centre backs. TAA is far too talented to be wasted At right back. He has too much to offer. He will be a box to box midfielder in the future.

• Upvote 1

I've just noticed that we're only a single point behind where we were after 20 matches during the 2013-14 season. Crazy.

Now if only we could go on a springtime run like we did that season!

We'd still be about 15pts off City!

But yeah 2nd would be great.

I've just noticed that we're only a single point behind where we were after 20 matches during the 2013-14 season. Crazy.

Now if only we could go on a springtime run like we did that season!

We could do with one of those seasons where we look back in May and say we’d have won the league if it would have started in January

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp to BBC MOTD on Trent Alexander-Arnold: “It’s fantastic. His mother told me last week that on Boxing Day the whole part of the family from America would be there. I asked 'is that an order for him to be in the line-up?' *Klopp shrugs his shoulders and laughs*

"First half, like the whole team he could have done better but he was fantastic and scored a good goal. Good news for the family Alexander-Arnold."

• Upvote 1

Winning in 2nd/3rd gear is exactly how we should be playing against the bottom teams at times, it keeps us fresher for the bigger games. You’ll always get idiots moaning at it, it’s normally the same idiots who moan at rotation and then moaned last January when we run out of steam and scraped 1-0s (in 3rd gear) some people aren’t ever happy.

People complaining about Oxlade-Chamberlain today are thick as shit, he won the ball back a few times, kept the ball moving, moved the ball up the pitch quickly and scored a goal but that wasn’t good enough? Fuck me what more do people want? Henderson, Can or Wijnaldum rarely make the runs beyond the striker that AOC did today, he created so much space for Firmino and Coutinho by dragging their midfield and Fullbacks all over the place, he’s improving very quickly.

So much right in this. So, so much.