You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Going to the pub on Christmas day.

Paulie Dangerously

Do you go to the pub on Christmas Day?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go to the pub on Christmas day?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is it acceptable to go to the pub on Christmas day?

• Yes
    • No

There is a strong tradition in the Dangerously household of the men going to the pub at about 12 and returning for their Christmas dinner whenever it's ready.  We have never been late for this most sacred of dinners.

Lady D and I have a yearly argument which usually starts in November, but due to her near-death-appendix drama only reared it's ugly head yesterday.  Due to going to the pub on Christmas for as long as I can remember with my Dad, and the fact that it's always chocker I always considered this the norm.

Lady D disagrees and thinks it's not acceptable in 2017 for this "sexist" tradition to go ahead.

What say you GF?  Do you go to the pub and do you think it's acceptable behaviour? 

I will not be showing Lady D the results of this poll. 

I used to love going to the pub on Christmas Day, I wouldn't do it now that I have a wife & kid although if the boozer is nearby & you're going for a pint or two with your Dad or brother or whatever, I really don't see the issue.

Having said that, I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to sexism so possibly not the best person to comment.

Used to when I was in England and at the folks every year. Initially we all used to go after church then my mum would nick off after one to get the dinner ready and me my dad and my sisters would stay for another one (or two).

When I became a more lazy atheist I would prep the dinner a bit while the others were at church and meet them there at the pub. My mum would still scarper after one even though she didn’t need to.

Don’t do the pub these days down here. My lad is only 7 so can’t institute the misogynistic drinking ritual just yet. Don’t go to church either so just start boozing at breakfast.

I used to do it before I settled down and had the kids. Don’t think I would now. Most of my Christmas Day is spent putting batteries in toys, assembling them and then depriving the kids of them because I want to try them out myself first. I reckon it would be acceptable if all the kids were older, say 13+.

We’re going down to the local gastropub for dinner this year but that’s obviously not the same. It’s gonna be the first year I’ve eaten out on Christmas Day and also the first time I won’t be eating any turkey. I’m really looking forward to it and there’s also the added bonus of not having to clean up the enormous mess Mrs Turdseye makes every time she does a roast dinner.

I don't do it myself as busy visiting different family members etc. Plus, in the past when I have pubbed it on Crimbo day, it seemed to be full of the once a year mob in their Crimbo clobber. Not for me.

Is it hell as like sexist though. If blokes did stay back home and helped with the lunch, the women would probably moan about that too, that the blokes were getting in the way or not being trusting of the women's ability to cook the Christmas dinner on their own.

When I’m at my Mum and Dads for Christmas, we always go the pub and will be this year. My mum basically throws us out as she has OCD when in the kitchen and won’t let you touch anything. My sisters, their husbands and my bird will also be going the pub. We only go for one or two though.

We always invite my mum but she says no and tells us to piss off out. She cooks an unbelievable Christmas dinner.

There is a strong tradition in the Dangerously household of the men going to the pub at about 12 and returning for their Christmas dinner whenever it's ready.  We have never been late for this most sacred of dinners.

Lady D and I have a yearly argument which usually starts in November, but due to her near-death-appendix drama only reared it's ugly head yesterday.  Due to going to the pub on Christmas for as long as I can remember with my Dad, and the fact that it's always chocker I always considered this the norm.

Lady D disagrees and thinks it's not acceptable in 2017 for this "sexist" tradition to go ahead.

What say you GF?  Do you go to the pub and do you think it's acceptable behaviour? 

I will not be showing Lady D the results of this poll. 

It's not worth upsetting Lady D, in my opinion. Just have a drink at home.

The general theme seems to be "I don't but it's ok if you do"

For clarity it'd be Myself, Pony Princess, Old Man Dangerously, Uncle Dangerously and ToddleD as showing off your child not looking like a straight-from-school-meff is a must once a year 

Sounds fine to me, especially if you're taking Toddler D... hardly seems like a recipe for 15 pints and a darts Calcutta.

Tell Lady D to come down for a couple of hot whiskies.  

Break with tradition.  The men will understand, especially with Toddler there.