You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

It is quite annoying that a succession of our managers have eschewed the use of midfielders who can actually tackle. They seem to patronise a lot of fans' views that defensive midfielders would be an aid to the team & seem happy to sit on their hands as world-class attacking forces like Wolves run at our central defenders without challenge.

Chelsea have a champions league built and ready squad. How much money has abramovich spent on that club?

We clearly disagree on this but I consider Klopp has made improvements to the defence. He needs to find another better partner for Matip. Hopefully, he'll find a dedicated left back but even then, people will expect the LB to be bombing down the wing to help the attack rather than concentrating on defence first. Funny game, eh?

If we had a back 4 of Moses Matip Luiz Alonso with Henderson or can in front of them and even with courtois in goal how do you think that would be working out for us?

Abramovich has spent billions but look at those 3 defenders. Luiz is a terrible defender and the other 2 are journeymen yet they're all getting league winners medals this year because their manager knows how to put a balanced team together.

For me if you are gonna play 4-3-3 then you need two full backs who are equally good at bombing on and contributing well in attack and getting back quickly and defending and an anchorman in the middle 3....we haven't really got any of those things - not absolutely dead right anyway...

so attacks fizzle out due to poor delivery/quality in attack from the full backs and we get caught high up park and don't get bodies back....and our midfield hasn't got the anchorman putting out fires so teams run through us.

Did klopp look at us in 2014 and think I've still got a lot of those players, I want us to play like that only better?

That's the only reason I can think of for why we're still playing this way. From what I gather klopp was always a 4231 man at Dortmund.

If we had a back 4 of Moses Matip Luiz Alonso with Henderson or can in front of them and even with courtois in goal how do you think that would be working out for us?

Abramovich has spent billions but look at those 3 defenders. Luiz is a terrible defender and the other 2 are journeymen yet they're all getting league winners medals this year because their manager knows how to put a balanced team together.

Well you say Luiz is a terrible defender but he's swapped clubs for a huge amount of money not to mention won things.

Look, we even had one of chelsea's best defensive coach Steve Clarke here with the King and we still leaked goals.

Saying this or that player is shit is subjective especially when said players play in a team that's been built on the back of CL money.

Chelsea are doing exactly that. Playing with a back 7 or 6 if fabregas comes in for matic occasionally and letting the front 3 of hazard Costa willian or Pedro run amok.

Klopp has had about 60 premier league games and seems no closer to finding a balance. Not having a defender in midfield continues to be the most baffling of all his decisions so far.

Edit: and that's a defence with Marcos Alonso from Sunderland and Victor fucking Moses.

Sorry, but that's not what Chelsea are doing. Their wing backs are as much attackers as they are defenders. As stated by others, it obviously is a trade off defence and attack. Chelsea are very balanced, well organised and have adapted their formation to the personnel available. To say that they're playing 6-7 at the back leaving the attacking to the remaining 3 is simply wrong.

Sorry, but that's not what Chelsea are doing. Their wing backs are as much attackers as they are defenders. As stated by others, it obviously is a trade off defence and attack. Chelsea are very balanced, well organised and have adapted their formation to the personnel available. To say that they're playing 6-7 at the back leaving the attacking to the remaining 3 is simply wrong.

That's what they did against us.

Well you say Luiz is a terrible defender but he's swapped clubs for a huge amount of money not to mention won things.

Look, we even had one of chelsea's best defensive coach Steve Clarke here with the King and we still leaked goals.

Saying this or that player is shit is subjective especially when said players play in a team that's been built on the back of CL money.

2011/12 season we let in 40 in league...3rd best record in league

We let in 50 last year and have already let in 36 this - so there is no question we were more solid when Clarke was here and we weren't 'leaking goals'....

That said we scored a lot less

Get a partner for Matip and it will go a long way to shoring up the defence. Add a midfielder to play in front of them in a triangle, someone who covers the ground and gets in tackles to stop anything that comes at us, and then gives it simple to get the attack going, and we are in business. 

Van Dijk and Keita would fit the bill fantastically well, but if it turns out Van Dijk is out of reach, there are others - Keane, Tah for example. Zouma isn't a terrible shout either. He seems to have lost his way a little, but when he was coming through he was displacing Terry in the side sometimes and he looked like he had the lot. Arguably he could come here and be a smashing player, although chances are, we would want someone a bit older. 

We need to add pace going forward. Werner might be a German Harry Kane equivalent, only a year further back in his development. Buy him now before he's out of reach. Then get some pace on the flank, opposite Mane. Inaki Williams, or Ousmane Dembele would be ace. Sessegnon to give Milner a break and take over at left back in time. 

Big window needed. I reckon we're going to have one too, and the prices will be ridiculous. The slight sting in the tail might be Coutinho, but we will see what happens. 

For some reason I'm not altogether convinced by James Rodriguez. He had a good World Cup a while ago, scored that goal and got a move to Real Madrid, but then sort of faded away. 

If we sign him obviously I'll be fully on board and hoping he makes a big contribution, but I'm not fully sure about that one. Pace seems to be the name of the game, and he seems like he can get a bit heavy and he isn't that fast. He would come to us on the way down from Madrid, not on the way up, which might add some risk. Will he have a point to prove? Or will he arrive and think he is someone in the game? If the former, could be very good. If the latter...

• Upvote 1

But what you're not accepting is the smoggies are one of the lowest goal scoring teams in the PL (if not the lowest?).

They've probably got 3 or 4 midfield players more concerned about protecting the back 4 rather than trying to make goals for the forwards. It's not usually co incidence that low scoring teams also dont score many either.

We've also had the issues that when Matip first joined, he didnt play in the league for upto 7 games I think. Then he had to get acustomed to the physicallity and speed of the PL. Then he was playing with Lovren, then Klavan then Lucas.

In other words, we havent had a settled centre back pairing to date. i really dont think its as easy as saying a top coach like klopp should have sorted it. In any event how many games have we conceeded 3 or more goals?

Overall, I think the defence has got better when Matip and Lovren have played consistently together. Unfortunately though, that hasnt been all season.

No team goes through the season having their first choice pairing all season, that's why it's a squad game. We're on course to concede around the 50 Mark again this season, that's unacceptable and that's what is harming our chances. Exactly the same as it was when Rodgers was here.

• Upvote 1