You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Positively Atheist Thread

Bjornebye

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Because you seem to have missed a running theme of people antagonising atheists. Gleefully so.

What are you talking about? I was referring to a post. I didn't say they're the only antagonistic people and I'm not commenting on this thread, but the wider world. The one that has shaped my experience, not this thread. 

Some people do seem so occupied with their 'lack of belief', though. I have no issue with a lack of belief, which some aggressive, condescending, insulting people claim that is simply all their views amount to. It's so clear to see that for those people it isn't all it amounts to.

I'd imagine that's the sort of thing they meant. I think antitheists should call themselves that rather than just atheists. Being atheists doesn't mean you have to be an aggressive, antagonistic, condescending arsehole. It's just that quite a few seem to bask in it due to their hellbent hatred of it.

Bang on the money.

Go back through the thread and look where most of the antagonism comes from.

Oh, aye, and what are YOU going to do about it?

Course I am, it kills millions of people.

Lazy, shallow and childish sloganeering, that is.

Religion does not kill people (or "start wars" as the other puerile canard has it). People choose to do bad (or good) things for their own reasons, then use religion as a justification.

• Upvote 2

Disliking religion for killing people.

Atheists Pol Pot,Joesph Stalin and Chairman Mao. How many deaths on them 120 million or so isnt it.

The same can be said the other way. Oh the Crusades killed how many in the name of God.

Well the Crusades were not a religious war. The Pope started it as a mixture of a land grab snd as a way of stopping the Catholic European royal houses from fighting each other and the Pope being forced to excommunicate them

Both sides can be antagonist as each other and like putting all the worlds issue on each other

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lazy, shallow and childish sloganeering, that is.

Religion does not kill people (or "start wars" as the other puerile canard has it). People choose to do bad (or good) things for their own reasons, then use religion as a justification.

AIDS, Africa, condoms. That's because I can't be bothered with the rest.

Disliking religion for killing people. Atheists Pol Pot,Joesph Stalin and Chairman Mao. How many deaths on them 120 million or so isnt it. The same can be said the other way. Oh the Crusades killed how many in the name of God. Well the Crusades were not a religious war. The Pope started it as a mixture of a land grab snd as a way of stopping the Catholic European royal houses from fighting each other and the Pope being forced to excommunicate themBoth sides can be antagonist as each other and like putting all the worlds issue on each other

None of the people you mentioned killed in the name of atheism - read the thread.

If a Christian kills because he's a cunt religion plays no part in it and only an idiot would blame the religion. If a person who doesn't believe in God kills because he's a cunt...

Course I am, it kills millions of people.

Wound up by that post? Come on, I'm a Tory murdering racist cunt (I think that's everything but Hades will confirm) it barely registered.

Religion doesnt kill people,people kill people.

The reasons for it are plentiful,including a belief in fairy stories too.

It will never cease to be and will continue to be done on a grand scale by people of all beliefs. I'd say the most murderous people are motivated by power and money and put on whichever jacket disguises this.

AIDS, Africa, condoms. That's because I can't be bothered with the rest.

Matthias Rath, Anthony Brink, Thabo Mbeki.

I could go on, too, but you're right - it'd be pointless to throw references, anecdotes and speculation back and forth because we're not going to persuade each other of anything.

Isnt that what im getting at?Both sides through names into the argument. No wars or deaths are really on the religious or non religious there is always a political issue behind it

AIDS, Africa, condoms.

A man living in a palace in Italy has the power to save the lives of millions poor Africans and chooses not to because of a book cobbled together a few hundred years ago. Mental.