You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

Has to carry the weight for today.

Made the exact same mistakes as we did in the FA Cup, were worse after his half-time team talk and then he goes and takes Nunez off. 

8 points in 8 games against the top 6 also tells its own story.

He can't put the ball in the net for them though. Everything perfect until the final ball. We looked a bit of the pace defensively too, just 2nd to most loose balls, not quite aggressive enough in the challenge. 

The finishing is unacceptable. We are niave as hell with game management and have flaws that can be exposed by even the dumbest managers with mediocre players but we play this risk reward play for a reason its not like Klopp is blind to the constant gifts we dole out,  its how Klopp wants to play its a way were we can create tonnes of opportunities even if it exposes us in the process but its an absolute stress heart buster if your players couldn't hit a cow on the arse with a banjo. Our forwards in terms of striking a ball with the aim of scoring are worse than 10 hours of Dick and Dom. Its not a new thing they're shit at it. Even Mo needs quarter of a billion chances but he's far more likely than the rest combined. If Klopp didn't play this way imagine how few we would actually of scored. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This wasn't in Klopp

Poor finishing and a braindead lazy error from Quansah today

But parts of this team are at a very crucial point. 

Salah 

Is it worth missing out on a big fee we could still gey and paying him around 25ml a year 

Virg

I would keep on a new deal

Trent

His talent you build a team around. His attitude to defending and playing his best position is a issue. 

Nunez

Love lots of things about him but he isn't a reliable striker. Especially in the biggest games. 

It's obviously far to early but overall I've been disappointed with Szoboszlai. 

Injuries haven't helped but everytime he turns for Hungary games magic happens. He's been more like a work horse for us, 

Lots for the new manager to work on in the summer. We are far far to wasteful with chances. That's why you see teams give up on games vs City and now Arsenal. They don't with us anymore as they know we will waste chances and they will get 1 or 2 really good clear cut chances against us. Think they said last game we haven't has a home clean sheet in 19. We have kept 5 clean sheets in 16 home games. 

As much as we can look at the refs in the Spurs,Arsenal and City games. In the later 2 the refs shouldn't have mattered Diaz missing a hatrick of glorious chances against City, Trent vs Arsenal. Everyone in both games vs the mancs. 4pts dropped in the manc games alone. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stringvest said:

It was painful to watch the same scenario as the FA cup play out here, with the same culprits playing the same way.  Maybe they’re not listening to Klopp any more

Maybe klopps not telling them 

3 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Made the exact same mistakes as we did in the FA Cup, were worse after his half-time team talk and then he goes and takes Nunez off. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

I was pleased he took Nunez off - he was awful that second half today. Mo no better like, but if you need a goal you keep him on I suppose?

Klopp did absolutely nothing wrong today. In fact, his plan was one of the best in his reign, until Quansah threw it into his own goal. Also, Nunez was shite.

That said, the results against the top 6 have not been good enough.

I think his tactics are more than good enough.

I am more worried about the way he uses the squad. Starting with a lot of key players in a game of no importance three days before we met United in the FA-cup, using Konate last thursday instead of today,  etc. It is hard to understand.

• Upvote 1

If there's one thing to blame Klopp for it's not the tactics but it's the fact he bought that attack to replace Firmino and Mane.

Hes tried to coach them into better footballers but they don't have the composure or brains when it really matters. They don't see the right pass, make the right touch, correct runs or finish in the crucial moments. It's got nothing to do with tactics, it comes down to ability.

1 minute ago, Mil-ing Around said:

If there's one thing to blame Klopp for it's not the tactics but it's the fact he bought that attack to replace Firmino and Mane.

Hes tried to coach them into better footballers but they don't have the composure or brains when it really matters. They don't see the right pass, make the right touch, correct runs or finish in the crucial moments. It's got nothing to do with tactics, it comes down to ability.

Nunez and Diaz are unbelievably brainless. It's a testament to their physical ability and desire that they've gotten to where they've gotten. 

Incredible shit on this forum since half five yesterday. We drew away against our biggest historical rivals and are still joint top of the League yet from a manager who has won everything under circumstances nobody else has had to deal with in the modern game (blatant cheating and a lower transfer) budget) to and a bunch of kids and replacements have kept us at the top,still,and it's an apocalypse! Social Media and a lot of modern 'fans' are pathetic fannies.

• Upvote 3

At 2-1 yesterday he’s on the sideline tearing into players for numerous reasons, he should be doing that at 0-1 when we’re throwing away chance after gilt edged chance. 
We’re not ruthless enough at the club, from top to bottom. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Incredible shit on this forum since half five yesterday. We drew away against our biggest historical rivals and are still joint top of the League yet from a manager who has won everything under circumstances nobody else has had to deal with in the modern game (blatant cheating and a lower transfer) budget) to and a bunch of kids and replacements have kept us at the top,still,and it's an apocalypse! Social Media and a lot of modern 'fans' are pathetic fannies.

Don't disagree with much of this, but we're not joint top of the League. 

14 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Let's be clear here: Nunez' wastefulness has cost us more points than anything Klopp has done "wrong". I'm not fucking having it that taking Nunez off was a bad move. Yes he's scored a couple of crucial goals this season but his profligacy has cost us dearly. *Some* people were bold enough to predict a hat trick from him yesterday; a laughable concept really. I really like the fella but he's utterly unreliable in front of goal and has stunk the place out more often than he's excelled. 

Klopp deserves great credit for having us in this position. The way he's rotated the squad this season as been first class. Even more so with the injuries to key men. The way he's backed and given chances to younger lads is special and that takes balls.

In the cold light of day most people will see this. Yes he's not perfect, no one is. Let's keep going, not exactly a terminal result is it.

• Upvote 1

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, apparently, so here goes.

Given the history of encounters with United, maybe it would have been more pragmatic to have started a more experienced centre back than Quansah. If Konate wasn’t able to do that then Joe Gomez could (should?) have been in alongside Virgil.

United had their own kid starting at centre back, only his second game, and he was fine for them, but perhaps the belief in playing the kids has backfired on this occasion.

Mind you, had the forwards been at the party, it wouldn’t have mattered.

I get we're all pissed off from yesterday, but the usual blame game is tiring. We're 2nd on goal difference after having one of the worst runs of injuries I can recall. For so much to be against us with that and crucial refereeing calls, or lack of, I'd say Klopp and the players have done an amazing job to be in the hunt for the title against the oil cheats and a team that has barely seen the medical room. 

Some people need to get a grip.

• Upvote 2

Yep.

If we would have scored 10 more goals over the last 31 games, we'd be top. 1 more goal every three games... and we've had the opportunities.

Drawing at Old Trafford is nothing new.

I'm hoping that the foursome of Macca, Trent, Jota and Salah can get us past the deficit and beyond.

2 hours ago, Freddo said:

Klopp deserves great credit for having us in this position. The way he's rotated the squad this season as been first class. Even more so with the injuries to key men. The way he's backed and given chances to younger lads is special and that takes balls.

In the cold light of day most people will see this. Yes he's not perfect, no one is. Let's keep going, not exactly a terminal result is it.

Klopp's squad management through the season has been great and he's been widely applauded for it. But he does get things wrong and I think ending up with quansah in for such a crucial game, at a place we always fail to get what we deserve, one of those moments. I think he's actually getting to a point where he wants quansah to be the first choice partner for vvd. I can understand why, because konates body can't be trusted. But quansah has struggled a bit in recent games, it was a massive risk to stick with quansah and it hasn't paid off. 

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp's squad management through the season has been great and he's been widely applauded for it. But he does get things wrong and I think ending up with quansah in for such a crucial game, at a place we always fail to get what we deserve, one of those moments. I think he's actually getting to a point where he wants quansah to be the first choice partner for vvd. I can understand why, because konates body can't be trusted. But quansah has struggled a bit in recent games, it was a massive risk to stick with quansah and it hasn't paid off. 

I think Quansah recovered well and it would have been easy to sub him and destroy his confidence. Klopp didn't and you'd hardly know he made such a giant fuck up afterwards.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Quansah recovered well and it would have been easy to sub him and destroy his confidence. Klopp didn't and you'd hardly know he made such a giant fuck up afterwards.

But it's too late by then anyway, the mistake is made. And I'm not blaming quansah, he's a 21 year old centre back in his 1st year of PL football. He will make mistakes. But they call this the business end of the season for a reason. It's not school. Quansah has struggled, he struggled with his passing last week against Brighton. I just feel it is time to say, well done lad, you're in reserve now, but the senior players have to see the season out, because winning the league is the most important thing.