You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bordeaux away

mouse1989

I'd say more chance of winning the EL, but it's a slim and none kind of comparison.

I'm thinking a Greece winning the Euros type of freak occurence, where all the team's luck comes in one run. Sooner or later even average managers get a decent cup run amid otherwise poor form that no one can explain. Exhibit A: Hodgson.

They weren't really like a well oiled machine though, were they? Victory at a tournament heightens their status. They put eleven men behind the ball, tried not to concede, and somehow found a run of just enough goals. In a way, they were the inverse of our defensively stout period before Rodgers' tongue-in-cheek "must be the new defensive coach" line, though at a higher level, obviously.

I have more faith in us finding such a lottery ticket of a brief run of luck, than I do of form that betters one of the top four over a season. Our competition in the league is Spurs.

We have no attacking play, and are not able to really outplay any professional team with a basic level of fitness and organisation. This has been the case for the last couple of years, both in Europe and domestic cups. Also we are not very good at sneaking a win in a tough away against really good teams, one of the reasons being that we never counter attack. In modern football hitting teams fast when they are not settled in defence is vital, not least away in Europe, and it is something we never do.

Main reason for all of the above is our lack of pace, mobility and creativity. We do not have players willing (or told) to make off the ball runs into space, all of the seem to stroll around wanting the ball to feet. Failing to build a balanced squad/playing far too many players out of their best position is also a part of this picture.

Expect Bordeaux to be a fairly good team, and don't see ut getting anything there.

• Upvote 1

Yes.

Furthermore, if Juve and Roma do well in the CL, and the PL top four don't, the PL UEFA coefficient could easily drop to reduce the PL to three CL teams as soon as next season.

What are you basing this on?

The manager has been a complete embarrassment in every European campaign he's had.

Benteke & Milner staying home, cos' it's been a long season for them with it being September and all that.

It's a good job we're a club without a European pedigree, imagine hiring a manager at a club with a European pedigree who detests playing in Europe.

Everyone would think you were stupid incompetent cunts.

• Upvote 5

I hate the attitude towards the Europa League, I think it's bang out of order.

These are professional sportsmen, I don't see why we can't win BOTH the premier league games and the Europa League games. Is football the only sport where games are sometimes played 3 days apart?

I think going to Bordeaux to play a game of footy, and then flying back on Thursday night a couple of hours later, isn't exactly the most taxing of fucking affairs. Fuck it, stay a couple of nights in the South of France after the game, and fly back on Saturday night, it'd be like a mini holiday.

But no, obviously it's impossible to expect players and managers to take any enjoyment from the modern game, and to give their all on a rectangle of grass.

Bordeaux away, followed by Norwich at home. I'm supposed to believe this is a tricky set of fixtures....why?

• Upvote 7

I hate the attitude towards the Europa League, I think it's bang out of order.

These are professional sportsmen, I don't see why we can't win BOTH the premier league games and the Europa League games. Is football the only sport where games are sometimes played 3 days apart?

I think going to Bordeaux to play a game of footy, and then flying back on Thursday night a couple of hours later, isn't exactly the most taxing of fucking affairs. Fuck it, stay a couple of nights in the South of France after the game, and fly back on Saturday night, it'd be like a mini holiday.

But no, obviously it's impossible to expect players and managers to take any enjoyment from the modern game, and to give their all on a rectangle of grass.

Bordeaux away, followed by Norwich at home. I'm supposed to believe this is a tricky set of fixtures....why?

For the most part I agree. If and when we start getting into the possibilities of extra time and penalties etc, it could leave the players fatigued. Even then though, we have a huge and expensively assembled squad. Time to prove their worth. And we all know how that's going to go.

No Benteke, Skrtel, Milner, Lucas and Clyne or Lovren going to France.

On one hand, I want to be angry over the obvious lack of intent with the Europa League indicated by leaving our stars at home.....but on the other, I'm too dispirited by the fact that the list of players above apparently constitute our "stars."

Jesus.

• Upvote 3

Just have no interest in this game, at all.

I think the Europa League is a shit tournament, not a patch on either the UEFA Cup or the Cup Winners, so that is part of it.

But we'll be awful in it this term even when putting out our best side, and sending the youth over just inspires no interest at all.

Perhaps it's age as well, but football is part habit and part chore just now.

Surprised at no Lucas. Surely he isn't going to play at home to Norwich?

Who is going to play in the centre of midfield? Can and...er...

Come on, you should know by now anyone can play anywhere in a Rodgers team out of position and underperform.

A real test to see if Firmino is a committee man, is if he plays him as a defensive mid.

• Upvote 1