You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho exclusion difficult to understand (ESPN article)

tlw content

I wasn't talking solely of the CBs already at the club, but including Sakho and Lovren in there as well in comparison to their time under other managers. Regarding the club comment, I was alluding to the manager and the committee, obviously.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree though, as I think our CBs - Skrtel included - barring one purple patch, have consistently looked shakier under Rodgers. I initially put it down to playing a more attacking style too, but I'm no longer convinced that's the root of it.

Playing three at the back gave me hope that as Rodgers grows it's an issue he'll get to grips with. Assuming the last couple of results were a horrific anomaly, then this next run of games - and the clean sheets we've kept in these first couple of games - should go a long way to showing whether that's still the case. Fingers crossed we keep Sakho and manage to continue to see Lovren improve.

Regardless of whether or not it was solely centre backs already at the club I still don't think it's comparing like with like.  You may as well compare pears with broccoli.  I appreciate that you were referring to Rodgers and the committee.

For my money our defending under Kenny and the Hodge was equally as grim at times.  X-rated stuff, some of it belonged on the "Bleakest Movie" thread.

Regardless of whether or not it was solely centre backs already at the club I still don't think it's comparing like with like.  You may as well compare pears with broccoli.  I appreciate that you were referring to Rodgers and the committee.

For my money our defending under Kenny and the Hodge was equally as grim at times.  X-rated stuff, some of it belonged on the "Bleakest Movie" thread.

Do you think it's not possible to compare players under different managers then?

Spot on mate about everything except the bit about us always having a slow start, we won 6 games in a row at the start of the season we finished second.

I didn't mean in terms of results JP I meant performances. We were lucky to get away with that stoke win with that pen at the end and the Villa win with Mignolet pulling off another few good saves. We were really dreadful in those first few games and we were quite open still. If this was a few years ago I think Rodgers would have stuck Ings and Benteke up front and tried to steamroll them and really risking a west bromesque start from his very first league game.

He's learned to be pragmatic though I think. I was really against the old "keep it tight and hope for a goal" style tactics we seen from Rafa because in the long run it got us nowhere and I just hated seeing us have so many quality players being restricted all the time and it costing us titles. We really needed what Rodgers gave us for those first 2 years more than most people bother to even recognise. Now he appears to have added the keep it tight and restrict the chances to his bow albeit for these first 2 games. He just wouldn't have entertained it a few years ago and that's what I loved about him. In the cold light of day though we need that side to our game. I just don't want to see it as our plan A and I don't think it will be over the course of a season.

Do you think it's not possible to compare players under different managers then?

Of course, taking into account context and other variables (injuries etc.).  

My answer is that Skrtel has been better under Rodgers than he was during the Hodge/Kenny period.  Although I've always rated him.

After all the money that's been spent can someone explain to me why we are playing a right footed CB at left back? Could we not get one who can play with both feet and actually defend? 

Because we're mixing it up a bit more and Sakho's instep passes to Coutinho are no longer the plan.

You would have a point if we hadn't won both games 1 nil and had the best defensive record so far in the premier league. He's signed a young lad with potential for a small sum so he could spend money elsewhere. The lad impresses that much he gets a game and does well. What do you want to do? Moan about it. Fucking knobhead.

Skrtel is the best centre back in the league.

• 4 weeks later...

He's the best CB we have. Rodgers for some reason doesn't want to play him.  We'll find out why one day.  In the meantime he continues to pick dross.  We'll find out why one day.  A game within a game.

A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma

• Upvote 1

who will he drop to bring him back in or will he try and play 3 again?

5 at the back, at home, against norwich would be a negatory good buddy.

I'd bring back moreno for this, not that I think he's any better than gomez but we need to attack the shit out of teams at home.

who will he drop to bring him back in or will he try and play 3 again?

5 at the back, at home, against norwich would be a negatory good buddy.

I'd bring back moreno for this, not that I think he's any better than gomez but we need to attack the shit out of teams at home.

3, 4 and 5 have all been tested and don't seem to work for us. Expect us now to try out 2 or 6 at the back.

He was "immense" according to the manager and had "put himself into contention for the weekend". He will be back in the starting line up Sunday as Rodgers knows if he does not and we lose he will get lynched before facing the firing squad. Yet again a decision made based on self preservation and keeping the masses at bay.

He was "immense" according to the manager and had "put himself into contention for the weekend". He will be back in the starting line up Sunday as Rodgers knows if he does not and we lose he will get lynched before facing the firing squad. Yet again a decision made based on self preservation and keeping the masses at bay.

So he's getting stick now -preemptively- for doing something we all near universally agree should happen?

What a time to be alive.

• Upvote 1