You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho exclusion difficult to understand (ESPN article)

tlw content

Wasn't the Barrett article last week saying that Sakho and a few others would be frozen out and sold? No surprise for me and I agree with what others have posted but will take it further. I have no faith in Rodgers after the collapse last season and the chronic shit defensive standards we have. He's going to leave us with another rebuilding job at the end of this season. I doubt FSG will get rid during the season but I just don't see him succeeding.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/20/mamadou-sakho-new-deal-liverpool?CMP=share_btn_tw

Liverpool have offered Mamadou Sakho a new long-term contract despite the France international being omitted from Brendan Rodgers’ plans for the first two games of the Premier League season.

The 25-year-old has been the subject of interest from Roma and Bayer Leverkusen after he was left out of the match-day squads for Liverpool’s wins over Stoke City and Bournemouth. Rodgers has preferred to start Dejan Lovren alongside Martin Skrtel so far, having informed the Croatia international he would be first choice before the start of the campaign, and selected the veteran Kolo Touré ahead of Sakho on the substitutes’ bench.

Sakho left Paris Saint-Germain for Anfield in 2013 following concern at a lack of playing time with his boyhood club and is anxious for regular first-team football before next summer’s European Championship in France.

Yet despite interest in the £18m defender and his current predicament at Anfield, Liverpool have informed potential suitors they have no plans to sell Sakho this summer and have underlined their confidence in the former PSG captain by offering him an extended contract. It is believed the new deal would increase his wage from around £75,000 a week to nearer £100,000 a week. Negotiations are only at a preliminary stage, however, and Sakho is likely to see whether his first-team prospects improve before responding.

Lucas Leiva is another player with an uncertain Liverpool future having fallen out with Rodgers on the eve of the new campaign and Besiktas have registered an interest in the 28-year-old. Juventus have considered the Brazil international as they seek midfield cover for Sami Khedira, who has been ruled out for two months with a thigh injury, but the Turkish club have made an offer of a season-long loan. The Besiktas director, Erol Kaynar, said: “A loan deal is likely. It could go ahead within the next two days.”

I hope it is true that the club is offering him a new contract, but I doubt it is.

Difficult to understand his exclusion? It is evident that there are people in the club who rip the club off through dodgy sales and signings along their football agent friends.

So rumours circulate about us wanting to get rid, he's not even in the first 2 match squads and then all of a sudden he is being offered a pay rise?

Something smells fishy Watson!

They call it changing the narrative I think.

At the moment people are writing about Rodgers freezing Sakho out, all of a sudden they will be writing about a new contract being offered.

Oh and if he tells Rodgers to stick the contract up his arse as the manager has rarely trusted him he will get the Sterling treatment in the press.

It also makes it easier for the club to justify if they move him on in late August saying he did not sign a new contract.

Cunt club tactics or maybe just modern business i dunno.

At the moment people are writing about Rodgers freezing Sakho out, all of a sudden they will be writing about a new contract being offered.

Oh and if he tells Rodgers to stick the contract up his arse as the manager has rarely trusted him he will get the Sterling treatment in the press.

It also makes it easier for the club to justify if they move him on in late August saying he did not sign a new contract.

I highly doubted we were trying to force him out as it would very difficult to get a replacement at this stage, we have seen manu and Chelsea struggle to find a good cb.The club clearly wants to keep him and it looks like if anyone has been looking for a move it's Sakho, Barrett mentioned how he is concerned about a lack of game time before the World Cup.

I don't have a problem with whatever happens now, I would be happy if Sakho stayed and fought for his place but I can understand if he wants to go somewhere where he will be a starter.

I highly doubted we were trying to force him out as it would very difficult to get a replacement at this stage, we have seen manu and Chelsea struggle to find a good cb.The club clearly wants to keep him and it looks like if anyone has been looking for a move it's Sakho, Barrett mentioned how he is concerned about a lack of game time before the World Cup.

I don't have a problem with whatever happens now, I would be happy if Sakho stayed and fought for his place but I can understand if he wants to go somewhere where he will be a starter.

His replacement was / is Lovren, in the same way Agger's replacement was Sakho, bought a year before the outgoing player was likely to leave due to lack of playing time. It's how we operate these days, hence why Lucas is probably going and Can will simply be used more this season.

Or they've just offered him a new contract and it's cunt supporter speculation.

What is the point of loaning Lucas out - he is 28 has been here years, he is either good enough and of use to us and stays or it is decided he isn't and he is sold and we upgrade on him...frigging loaning him out makes no sense

Football is switching more and more towards loans with future sale clauses. Loan seems seem to be going up as well.

Or they've just offered him a new contract and it's cunt supporter speculation.

I had a real lol when I first read Denny's post, some of these conspiracy theories are getting ridiculous.

As for BBN saying Lovren is his replacement we need atleast 4 cbs and if Sakho did go the backup to Lovren and Skrtel is not good enough, we wouldn't be selling him without a replacement lined up and the new contract offer shows we are not trying to do that.

I had a real lol when I first read Denny's post, some of these conspiracy theories are getting ridiculous.

As for BBN saying Lovren is his replacement we need atleast 4 cbs and if Sakho did go the backup to Lovren and Skrtel is not good enough, we wouldn't be selling him without a replacement lined up and the new contract offer shows we are not trying to do that.

Fair enough, that's your interpretation.

Putting my cynical hat on, mine would be that Sakho's never been favoured and having touted him all summer we're now looking to protect his value for fear he'll run his contract down and leave for buttons. The fact that all the rumours are of loan deals or low offers speaks volumes.

The fact that the back ups aren't good enough is not proof of anything, let alone that we've been looking to keep him; Lovren isn't good enough and he's currently first choice so there's more than enough evidence that we have trouble rating CBs properly.

We have six CBs. We haven't shifted Ilori and there's no news of a loan in the offing, we gave Toure a new contract and bought Gomez. Playing with two CBs, there's no way to give Toure enough game time to make his contract worth it, or avoid Gomez being used out of position all season. Like when we overstocked at AM, having six CBs will only lead to the better one/s leaving if they're shifted to accommodate the likes of Lovren.

The new contract is protecting his value as no one will meet our price and he's heading into the last eighteen months of his current deal. 

• Upvote 1

I can't be arsed with the conspiracy theory stuff although it does look like they're protecting his value ahead of a potential sale.

Having Lovren in the team ahead of him is like Having Noel Gallagher playing guitar in your band when you know Jimmy Page wants the gig.

It's a fucking farce.

And if anyone doesn't agree, watch the first 10 minutes of the Bournemouth game again.

• Upvote 1

What is the point of loaning Lucas out - he is 28 has been here years, he is either good enough and of use to us and stays or it is decided he isn't and he is sold and we upgrade on him...frigging loaning him out makes no sense

no-one wants to buy him.  If they did, he would be sold.  

The new contract is protecting his value as no one will meet our price and he's heading into the last eighteen months of his current deal.

Seems a schizophrenic way of doing business. If the manager doesn't rate him and no one is sniffing around at our presumed asking price, if at all, then offering him a new contract now seems like throwing good money after bad.

Unless it's a massive new contract with a guarantee to be played out of position. That would be more consistent with club policy.

Fair enough, that's your interpretation.

Putting my cynical hat on, mine would be that Sakho's never been favoured and having touted him all summer we're now looking to protect his value for fear he'll run his contract down and leave for buttons. The fact that all the rumours are of loan deals or low offers speaks volumes.

The fact that the back ups aren't good enough is not proof of anything, let alone that we've been looking to keep him; Lovren isn't good enough and he's currently first choice so there's more than enough evidence that we have trouble rating CBs properly.

We have six CBs. We haven't shifted Ilori and there's no news of a loan in the offing, we gave Toure a new contract and bought Gomez. Playing with two CBs, there's no way to give Toure enough game time to make his contract worth it, or avoid Gomez being used out of position all season. Like when we overstocked at AM, having six CBs will only lead to the better one/s leaving if they're shifted to accommodate the likes of Lovren.

Toure is a glorified coach here and I'm not disrespecting him as I like him as a person and as a player, he knew that himself and looked like he was off last season, he stayed for family reasons.

It doesn't look like Illori is rated and I don't see Gomez getting thrown in at the deep end, he didn't even play cb at championship level regularly. Id be absolutely amazed if BR was prepared to go in to the season with Lovren and Skrtel as our only senior cbs, even if they were great which is not the case an injury to one of them would leave us fucked.

If Sakho was moaning and wanted to go the club probably wouldn't stand in his way but I don't believe they would be looking to sell without a replacement lined up.

• Downvote 1