You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I hate the phrase, but it always smacks to me of virtue signalling. 

I disagree with the death penalty yet I've holidayed in Nevada. 

I bet if a lot of people dug into their pensions schemes they're funding all manner of heinous shit.

"They don't like homosexuality in Muslim countries!"

That's because it's their religious beliefs, should we hate Muslims now?

No that's bigoted! 

So what next?

I don't know.

Exactly. How can things change that quickly in those countries with centuries of religious beliefs, just because the west has decided to make it a big thing in the last 5 years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

He's a high-profile supporter of the LBGT community. He's happy to forget his morals for a pay day. Doesn't matter that he's an employee, he's still accepting money from a country with bad practices against a movement that he's meant to be all for.

What do LGBT groups want from Saudi though? For them to renounce their millenia old religion? It's not a golf club. 

It's just bonkers banter. 

How many people go on holiday to Turkey? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Section_31 said:

What do LGBT groups want from Saudi though? For them to renounce their millenia old religion? It's not a golf club. 

For me it's not about LGBT or Saudi, it's about a person with a set of beliefs, that has openly expressed them and become a bit of a footballing figurehead only to go to a country that totally opposes those beliefs for a quick buck.

You can't say you support 'Rabbit Rights' only to go and get a job working for Elmer Fudd. It's very hypocritical behaviour.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

He's a high-profile supporter of the LBGT community. He's happy to forget his morals for a pay day. Doesn't matter that he's an employee, he's still accepting money from a country with bad practices against a movement that he's meant to be all for.

He is high profile which is why he is dividing options. 

If we go down the route of morality etc then there is no end to it. Canary Wharf that plays a huge part in the country's economy is owned by Qatar and employs 1000s of people. 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Maybe not. But if you are a high profile sportsman and you state your express belief that everyone has a right to express their sexuality without fear of death or violence, and you advocate that, and say you stand shoulder to shoulder with victims, then if you go to work for people who cut off people’s heads for being gay then you’re a hypocrite and you can expect to be called out for it.

Plenty of cricketers were able to boycott South Africa, despite being offered lucrative sums to play there. 

• Upvote 4

Good points being made, I've never followed Henderson's involvement in this debate but am thinking more broadly about how we talk about the likes of Qatar etc, it's almost imperialist in a sense  - we've got more evolved sensibilities than you etc.

People have to accept different cultures do different shit. A Mormon might think it's shit he can't bring his 15 wives over here.

The shit we got for the Chelsea rent boys thing ( rightly so ) a thing all other premier league clubs sung  and then the Saudis rock up at Newcastle and newcastles LGBTQ+ fans are like "it's okay yeah we are hoping we can change them wahey we're gonna buy everyone". Theres fuck all morality when money is involved, greed is humanity's defining trait, its the vehicle for civilisations entropy. Theres literally no point in being arsed anymore because it's a ship that isn't going to turn, it's an individual choice to decide how much you want to put into it anymore or if you just want to get off at the next port and be done with the cruise. 

Personally I think football will get lost amongst disinterest eventually.

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Personally I think football will get lost amongst disinterest eventually.

I think it's already there to a small extent. If we didn't get Jurgen I think I would have completely lost interest by now, he is keeping it alive for me....just about.

I said this in a different thread, I think Saudi will kill it off for me.

43 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It would seem the Western trend that it’s their way or the highway- rightly or wrongly.

Mo Salah (among many others) is employed and paid by clubs/owners who’s beliefs and way of life are at odds with his own beliefs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

That creates a big problem then IMO. 

It does. I think the thing here is the Saudi club want Henderson as he's who Gerrard wants. They won't be wanting to look like they can't get him out. And Henderson needs to feel there's no way back. So maybe for us to get what we want, Henderson will need to tell them to find the fee, even if it means reducing his wages. He's in this position because he pushed for the long contract. He wants his big pay day, he has to be the one who gets this deal done from here, he's not a passenger in all this. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Steven Gerrard pushed for this. If he was not there no chance it happens.

Sure, but Gerrard is nothing to do with us. He's probably nothing to do with his club commercially. This is a 3 way discussion between Liverpool, Henderson and the buying club. We are not willing sellers (or at least we would appear we don't wish to be), henderson and the Saudi club want the deal to happen, so it's between those two to work out how to make it work with the budget they have. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What are you suggesting? 

I am suggesting this started with Gerrard contacting Henderson directly.

How do you think it happened?

It is impossible to believe Gerrard was not directly involved from the off and knew exactly what the parameters were.

Hillal thought he would be available for no fee - why?

• dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)