You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge-2015

LFC 6 Times

I've discussed this many times on here, it is a fact that Sturridge delivered in the big games more then Suarez especially the 13/14 season.When Sturridge played most times he performed and scored, when he didn't Suarez was not scoring most times and we lost most of the big games without Sturridge.

I've always said Sturridge was the key player that season and not Suarez, I've just seen a stat that backs that up. In the 13/14 season Sturridges goals won us more points then any other player, that means not only was Sturridge the one consistently performing in the big games he was also the one making the difference in the tight close games.

Suarez was banned for the first 5 league games of the season so that's a stupid comparison. Sturridge scored the only goal of the game in the first three fixtures so he had a 9 point head start on Suarez, if not more. 

What does that stat even mean if you think about it? Suarez scores twice in the 5-0 win against Spurs, but there were 3 other scorers so who won us the points? was it Suarez, Flanagan, Sterling or Henderson?

Then you could say something like "Well Sturridge was most responsible for turning 0-0 score lines into 1-0 wins which gave us the most points" but Suarez was most responsible for scoring two or three goals a game which turned games into a riot and gave the whole club massive confidence and made the whole league fear us. So what's more important?

I've discussed this many times on here, it is a fact that Sturridge delivered in the big games more then Suarez especially the 13/14 season.When Sturridge played most times he performed and scored, when he didn't Suarez was not scoring most times and we lost most of the big games without Sturridge.

I've always said Sturridge was the key player that season and not Suarez, I've just seen a stat that backs that up.In the 13/14 season Sturridges goals won us more points then any other player, that means not only was Sturridge the one consistently performing in the big games he was also the one making the difference in the tight close games.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 8

I've always said Sturridge was the key player that season and not Suarez, I've just seen a stat that backs that up.In the 13/14 season Sturridges goals won us more points then any other player, that means not only was Sturridge the one consistently performing in the big games he was also the one making the difference in the tight close games.

All joking from me aside JP, as good as Sturridge undoubtedly was that season to suggest that he was more pivotal than Suarez in our charge for the title is way off.  Suarez gave one of the greatest seasons ever witnessed in the English league that year and was probably the best player in the world at the time.

• Upvote 1

Suarez was banned for the first 5 league games of the season so that's a stupid comparison. Sturridge scored the only goal of the game in the first three fixtures so he had a 9 point head start on Suarez, if not more.

What does that stat even mean if you think about it? Suarez scores twice in the 5-0 win against Spurs, but there were 3 other scorers so who won us the points? was it Suarez, Flanagan, Sterling or Henderson?

Then you could say something like "Well Sturridge was most responsible for turning 0-0 score lines into 1-0 wins which gave us the most points" but Suarez was most responsible for scoring two or three goals a game which turned games into a riot and gave the whole club massive confidence and made the whole league fear us. So what's more important?

Sturridge was out for a couple of months before January and got injured at the end of the season so Suarez had plenty of time to get match winning goals.

I don't know how that stat is worked out when there are games that were 4-0 etc but it shows Sturridge was scoring the decisive goals in close matches, he was also scoring in a lot of the big wins we had that season aswell.

It's more important getting the goal that gets the points over getting a couple in a big win, Suarez was good when we were dominating games, having plenty of possession out side the oppositions box and having lots of chances.In the tight games where there are not a lot of chances he doesn't have the killer instinct like Sturridge and will fluff chances,Sturridge needs only half a chance and shows no signs of fear when he gets one no matter who the opponent is.

The biggest example is Chelsea at home where Suarez and Sterling bottled it playing against their reserves, if Sturridge had been fit we would have been champions.

• Downvote 1

Sturridge was out for a couple of months before January and got injured at the end of the season so Suarez had plenty of time to get match winning goals.

I don't know how that stat is worked out when there are games that were 4-0 etc but it shows Sturridge was scoring the decisive goals in close matches, he was also scoring in a lot of the big wins we had that season aswell.

It's more important getting the goal that gets the points over getting a couple in a big win, Suarez was good when we were dominating games, having plenty of possession out side the oppositions box and having lots of chances.In the tight games where there are not a lot of chances he doesn't have the killer instinct like Sturridge and will fluff chances,Sturridge needs only half a chance and shows no signs of fear when he gets one no matter who the opponent is.

The biggest example is Chelsea at home where Suarez and Sterling bottled it playing against their reserves, if Sturridge had been fit we would have been champions.

Funny last paragraph!

The real question you should ask yourself is if Sturridge went up for sale do you think we could get £75m for him?

If Sturridge can keep fit he has every chance of surpassing Suarez but right now there is no way Sturridge is/was a better player than Luis and that's not taking anything away from Sturridge, to even be mentioned in the same breath as Suarez and Torres is a massive achievement. I think we'd all like to be here in a couple of years saying that Sturrige is a better player than Suarez and Torres, that would mean he's stayed fit and has won us titles.

The same man who went on to score what was the decisive goal in the CL final a year later?

Righto

It's more important getting the goal that gets the points over getting a couple in a big win, Suarez was good when we were dominating games, having plenty of possession out side the oppositions box and having lots of chances.In the tight games where there are not a lot of chances he doesn't have the killer instinct like Sturridge and will fluff chances, Sturridge needs only half a chance and shows no signs of fear when he gets one no matter who the opponent is.

You keep saying he scored in a lot of the big wins but here's the big wins that season

Tottenham 5-0

Arsenal 5-1

Manchester United 0-3

Tottenham 4-0

Everton 4-0

Man City 3-2

Suarez scored 5 goals in those matches and Sturridge scored 2. I don't think 1-0 wins against Stoke and Villa constitute as big wins either. Your point about Sturridge being fit for Chelsea stands though, we would have had a better chance but we'll never know how that would of played out.

You keep saying he scored in a lot of the big wins but here's the big wins that season

Tottenham 5-0

Arsenal 5-1

Manchester United 0-3

Tottenham 4-0

Everton 4-0

Man City 3-2

Suarez scored 5 goals in those matches and Sturridge scored 2. I don't think 1-0 wins against Stoke and Villa constitute as big wins either. Your point about Sturridge being fit for Chelsea stands though, we would have had a better chance but we'll never know how that would of played out.

Suarez's Contribution to those games:

Tottenham 5-0- Assisted the other three goals.

Arsenal 5-1- A few assists and nearly scored one of the greatest ever Anfield goals, that post is still probably shaking.

Manchester United 0-3- Sturridge and Suarez were actually a bit off colour that day. If they were on form, we would have won about 12-0 we were that dominant. Suarez wore ridiculous wool boots and still scored and was denied a brilliant goal by De Gea after flicking a ball over Phil Jone' gormless head.

Tottenham 4-0- Scored an early goal out of nothing and set the tone for another thrashing.

Everton 4-0- Robbed Jagielka from the halfway line and ran half the field to score, also assisted Gerrard from a corner.

Man City 3-2- Set up the first goal by hustling a player off the ball and sliding a lovely pass through to Sterling.

Conclusions: Luis Suarez was just ace and I spend more time pining over him than I do my ex, and JP should really quit drinking Toilet Duck.

• Upvote 4

Torres, Suarez and Rodgers all long gone and the season we nearly won the title is a distant memory..

There comes a point where you just have to let go and get over it or you're sat on a football at forum at half 4 on a Friday going round in circles arguing about stuff that happened yonks ago.

• Upvote 3

My favourite Torres goal is still his first against Chelsea... Thing of beauty that was.

Same with Suarez, God, it was beautiful, just came on the pitch and scores... It almost instantly erased the pain of losing Torres.

Sturridge scored some beauties as well, but my favourite would be his coming off the bench against Chelsea and scoring the equaliser in the draw in his first season.

Fuck, we've been spoilt for choice with some first rate players in recent memory.

Some...

Spoiled for strikers over the last decade or two, certainly.

Longer than that

We have pretty much gone from great to great since the 60s barring the odd couple of years

St John - Hunt

Keegan - Toshack

Kenny - Rush

Aldridge

Rush - Fowler

Fowler - Owen

Torres

Suarez - Sturridge

My favourite Torres goal is still his first against Chelsea... Thing of beauty that was.

Same with Suarez, God, it was beautiful, just came on the pitch and scores... It almost instantly erased the pain of losing Torres.

Sturridge scored some beauties as well, but my favourite would be his coming off the bench against Chelsea and scoring the equaliser in the draw in his first season.

Fuck, we've been spoilt for choice with some first rate players in recent memory.

Some...

Marseille away is mine.