You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho

Pureblood

Selling Sakho  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be a mistake to sell him?

Pretty sick of how much we're spending on players that the manager barely needs 10 or so games for him not to rate. It's bizarre when you consider all the costs we've been trying to scrimp on such as the going rate of wages for peak-age players.

Was gonna post something similar, same with pointless loan signings, our transfer policy seems to be throw everything at it and see what sticks and when it doesn't just bin it, rather than having a plan and scouting and buying the right players to fit the system, these are huge amounts of money too. Be interesting to see what happens in January, Rodgers will probably want more money to spend but you can imagine FSG questioning why, and rightly so, Lovren and Sakho cost more than 40 mil between them yet neither are as goof as Matt Elliot.

• Upvote 2

Transfers by committee. Bad times.

If that is the case then Rodgers can't be the fall guy, which makes the situation even more complex.

I reckon if this season goes tits up FSG'll bail, they probably figured spending big money should get you better players than Andy Carroll and Joe Allen.

They should put up 60m and let the supporters decide who we want to sign by vote. I bet we'd get better value than they would. It would pay for itself in hype and advertising too. I'm wasted here. No, literally, I'm still wasted from last night. It's a sound idea though, and there's no chance we'd be signing the kind of second rate crap that they've been guilty of down the years.

I reckon if this season goes tits up FSG'll bail, they probably figured spending big money should get you better players than Andy Carroll and Joe Allen.

I'm not so sure, I get the impression that this squad has been put together and costed on the basis of not qualifying for the champions league next season both in terms of most of the player profiles and their wage costs. I'd suggest it's affordable without CL revenue and likely to stick together.

• Upvote 1

If that is the case then Rodgers can't be the fall guy, which makes the situation even more complex.

It will be interesting to see what approach they take if we finish outside the top 4.  I think they would stand by Rodgers, but maybe get rid of the committee.  Couldn't see them backing a new manager with substantial funds so maybe you're right and they'll sell.  

Out of order to lump Joe Allen in with Carroll

Fair point, but I mean the sheer amount of money we've spent on players who don't even get in the side and don't even make a significant difference to our hopes of winning trophies. We spent £10 mil on Xabi Alonso and, what, £6 mil on Hamann? Both were undropable mainstays of our midfield for years.

These days we just seem to throw big money at anyone in this kind of comme ci comme ca fashion, so much so that I can't remember the last time I looked forward to a transfer window, and even if we break our transfer record it's usually met with some trepidation. We're just really,really shit at buying players, we have been since Rafa's golden years.

• Upvote 4

We are definitely shit at buying players but I don't think its fair to make a comparison to our transfer dealings 10-15 years ago. The market has changed so much that someone like Ander Herrera, who is not in the same class as Alonso when we signed him, can cost 30 million.

We've wasted fuck loads of money over the last few years but so has every single decent side. It's not a problem specific to us.

When someone like Borini is getting 14m bids its no surprise you can't pick up the next Didi Hamann for fuck all.

I know you weren't being literal with those examples, section, but the market is fucking sickening.

didi cost 8m or something in 1999 and I remember it being a lot of money at the time. obviously he ended up being well worth it but initially 8m seemed like an awful lot for a dm.

heskey cost 11m and that also seemed like a lot of money but was deemed to be worth it as he was the 2nd hottest young talent around after owen.

• Upvote 1

I assume Brendan thought that Skrtel was likelier than Lovren to break down after his recent injury & with Lovren looking better to the left, thought Kolo was a better cover for the right.

As to the ' Brendan will get shut ' we are stuck with few options until January so pragmatically he can't really ostracise him completely.

If you read the likes of TK in this thread, you wonder if they are watching some parallell universe where we're winning games and keeping clean sheets when Sakho isn't playing.

You either see it or you don't.  The problem is that some people have built up Sakho so much that they will make any excuse for him. turn a blind eye to his flaws and mumble something about how great he was for PSG.