You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Moreno, markovic, can all first team regulars now.

Lallana competing with gerrard and coutinho plus probably sterling now for behind the striker positions.

lovren might get another chance now sakho is injured.

Lambert always going to be 3rd or 4th choice

Balotelli gamble looks to have completely backfired

manquillo squad player

origi still out on loan

have I missed someone?

No but its still unforgivable that after losing Suarez the key gap that needed filling was plugged with a 32 year old journeyman who had spent most of his career in the lower leagues and certifiable loon who had been deemed unmanageable by a previous employer. Is it any wonder our season has gone pear shaped through lack of goals

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

£107m combined.

How many would you be happy signing for the same transfer fees and wages? I can't think of any.

Can, Manquillo and Lambert (as a 4th choice striker), to be honest I'm not arsed about Lambert either way but as a cheapo 4th choice striker who's proved he can score goals in the PL I have no problem with that.

Balotelli, Moreno and Lovren are terrible signings, everything has been said about Lovren and Balotelli but Moreno, he's a liability, what were the scouts thinking signing such a one footed player? it's not like he has anything expceptional about to to make up for that massive fault, a bit of pace? whoopy shit! his awareness and positioning is just as bad as Lovren.

Him and Lovren on one side of our defence is a calamity, Lovren is bad but Moreno got away from a lot of criticism because of how bad Lovren was next to him, Moreno certainly didn't do Lovren any favours that's for sure.

Not excusing Lovren at all but notice how he looks a bit better on the right side away from Moreno, it's true.

I'm not really all that arsed about how one footed a full back is. As long as he's capable of playing a simple ten yard pass with his right foot (which he is, just) then I don't think it's a big issue.

His main problem, by a country mile, is being out of position...by a country mile, time after time. I'd imagine that part of the problem is the difficulty of playing as wing back. It's quite a unique role, one that you'd think he'd be suited to, but perhaps he isn't. I have a fear, as do others that have mooted a move back to a back four, that our fullbacks (bar possibly Flanagan) would be exposed even more than our wing backs are being now. Possibly though, a slightly more restricted role would demand that Moreno focuses on this side of the game, along with obviously a midfield shape that may offer him more protection.

I think that if we had some solid fullbacks available at the moment we may have already made the switch back. I believe Skrtel/Sakho would be an excellent centreback partnership. I also think having two number 10s neither suits them, or Sturridge.

It's hard to escape the difference in results since the switch to three at the back but I don't think it was the only reason for the improvement. Personnel changes, and also players simply playing at something approaching their actual ability (as they have done previously in a side with a back four) has contributed. I'm also not convinced that this formation is sustainable long term, we've been poor in several games in the last month or so. I think it's too simplistic to say we've been "found out" as such, but possibly the novelty factor has slightly worn off. 

Are we far enough through the season now to safely conclude that our summer signings have by and large been utter shite? I don't just mean on an individual basis, but as a collective unit, they have failed miserably to add anything to the squad, and as a result, here we are, having embarrassed ourselves in Europe, and staring down the barrel of finishing outside the Top 4. (Yes, we have a good shot at the FA Cup; but let's not count those chickens yet, given the season so far)

Of our signings, only Can can safely be called a success, and even that is qualified by the fact he apparently is only useful to the team as a defender. Manquillo hasn't had a look in, but he didn't cost much beyond what his wage is, so we'll be nice to him and give him a pat on the head. The rest.....fucking hell.

Lallana

Lovren

Markovic

Moreno

Balotelli

Can

Lambert

Manquillo

Always remember the shouts of 'we need to be in the CL otherwise we won't attract quality players'. Then it quickly became apparent after our 'summer signings' that it was a load of shit. Now it's 'we need to be in the CL regularly and Rodgers stock needs to rise'.

Always remember the shouts of 'we need to be in the CL otherwise we won't attract quality players'. Then it quickly became apparent after our 'summer signings' that it was a load of shit. Now it's 'we need to be in the CL regularly and Rodgers stock needs to rise'.

I think you do need to qualify for the CL regularly to fill your team with quality players, and also good scouts/management with the concept of value.

I think you do need to qualify for the CL regularly to fill your team with quality players, and also good scouts/management with the concept of value.

Agreed. But having a good scouting and management system should be the priority. We get that right then the CL will fall into place right?

Agreed. But having a good scouting and management system should be the priority. We get that right then the CL will fall into place right?

Yes potentially, but if we're not buying peak-aged players and prepared to pay going rates on wages for that bracket of player, then you're going to have to rely on a lot of 'hits' with the youngsters. Even then we might sell them off before we get the best years from them, and trophies. See Arsenal.

I think you have to be willing to spend big when the big players come along and be willing to spend big to keep your best players, if they're worth it. Suarez was always going but there's nobody we currently have who can't spend their peak years with us. Arsenal have progressed now to funding big outlays when the chance arises and I reckon this will pay dividends if on top of that they also instill the kind of leadership they've been missing over recent years.

What we need is a big bastard of a DM like Carvalho or Kondogbia and an experienced left back like Fabio Coentrao. Bring Arbeloa back on a free and sign a top quality striker. No more punts like Ings.

Get both and get rid of Allen and Lucas.  Lallana out for peanuts with Firmino replacing him get Vietto as well.  Jobs a good-un.  Arbeloa would be good.  The only two quality fullbacks I can think of at this time are the two at Porto alas we wouldn't be able to afford them as well.

• Upvote 2

Get both and get rid of Allen and Lucas. Lallana out for peanuts with Firmino replacing him get Vietto as well. Jobs a good-un. Arbeloa would be good. The only two quality fullbacks I can think of at this time are the two at Porto alas we wouldn't be able to afford them as well.

Ings, Clyne and Milner. That's who we're signing mate, deal with it.

What we need is a big bastard of a DM like Carvalho or Kondogbia and an experienced left back like Fabio Coentrao. Bring Arbeloa back on a free and sign a top quality striker. No more punts like Ings.

spot on about the DM.....we get bullied sometimes and need a couple of cynical powerful dirty bastards who can win the battle before we win the war

tbh tho,i cant think of many...........it now makes me think letting jonjo go was a bit of a fuck up because atleast he got stuck in