You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

I really like Ings.  I don't care that he's not fashionable name or big signing.  He would fit right in here because he's got pace and a work ethic and most importantly he's got goals in him.  He's a much more suitable back up to Sturridge than anything we've got and would cost next to nothing.  If we can offload some of the other strikers I'd want to see another come in as well though.

I think Moreno is getting a bit of a bad rep at the moment.  He had a fucking stinker on Sunday and I don't think he was fully prepared or aware of the enormity of the game until it begun and it hit him like a train.  He's had a good season considering the side hasn't played particularly well for large parts of it, he's young and it's his first season at this level in this country.  He's been an important part of the unbeaten run we were on and I wouldn't be out looking for a replacement or spending lots of money on competition there this.  I'd heard rumours of us signing Garbutt from Everton on a free at the end of the season.  I'd take that.

I honestly don't think we need to buy a lot of players this summer.  Two forwards, a right (wing) back and a centre mid or two would cover it for me.  It's keeping the rest of the team and the manager together that I think may be the problem especially if we don't get the champions league place.

Ings to replace Lambert's place in the squad, Origi to replace Borini's and a proper first-team striker of sexy Latin American origins to replace Balotelli, giving Rodgers the option of another top-class partnership up front. 

Factor in Sinclair probably out on loan with a January recall option similar to Ibe's at worst, and potentially Sterling to drop into that position in times of necessity, we would be in decent shape for striking options suitable for the way Brendan wants to play, should we manage to do the above.

Provided we have 2 quality first choice players up front and the option of Sterling in reserve, which we know has worked in terms of us at least looking like ourselves and being able to put together a competitive run of results, I don't see anything to worry about with Ings and Origi then providing some depth (and by the sounds of it versatility, in the case of the latter).  They at least look like they would suit the way we play, unlike the 3 alternatives to Sturridge among our current strikers, who are all as we know unfit for purpose in their own way.   

Don't see that problem with Ings, even if he proved to not score often enough or be of the right quality to hold down a first-team position, he should be able to provide the option Lambert has been unable to due to the latter's lack of mobility and apparent need to play every week to be match fit.  At a development fee he just looks smart business, provided we do what we failed to do last summer and buy a player in his position worthy of starting every week.

Obviously United might offer him twelvty million pounds a year and shit us for breakfast on that one, but that's a different story.

• Upvote 1

Stop signing cheapish squad players that aren't good enough to be relied on if needed, I'm looking at the likes of Aspas, Ings etc

Stop paying inflated prices for average players from the premiership, I'm looking at Lallana and Lovren.

Quality over quantity like it should have been last summer from a position if strength. Things will be much harder now the Suarez money is blown on squad players and off the back of a shit season.

Lizzie has this pretty well summed up for our attack. But I see an issue here.

As others have also said a couple of cms (although I'd take one at the least) with a top right full back would vastly improve us. Not to mention a left back as Enrique looks gone. Add an experienced keeper to provide cover for mig too and we require the below;

Gk

Rb / rwb

Lb / lwb

Cm

Ings

Fwd

Origi

Selling the likes of borini, lambert, balotelli, Coates, illori and jones. Not to mention taking offers on Lallana (doesn't have the pace we need), lovren, Enrique and maybe even Lucas (if we got 2 cms in) if the bids were acceptable.

With Johnson, toure and gerrard going too that's potentially 11/12 out v 6/7 in which is a massive overhaul. We would have integration issues again and would require a massive investment to pay those off and buy others in.

In this case it's vital we keep Henderson and sterling as we're looking to replace them too.

If money wasn't object id do the above ins and outs and expect little for the season but as we're going to be limited we may as well focus on core positions

Rb

Cm

Fwd

What ever happens the key thing I want is players with the right mentality. No more shrinking violets we need aggression and desire to get us back in to the top 4.

• Downvote 1

Fuck Balotelli, Lambert and Borini off. Sign Vietto or Icardi and a more experienced striker with some history of actually scoring goals.

I bet we will fail to offload at least one of those Turkeys hopefully it won't be Balotelli . Be gutted if he's still stinking the place out next season  

I bet we will fail to offload at least one of those Turkeys hopefully it won't be Balotelli . Be gutted if he's still stinking the place out next season  

Yeah, he has to be the first out of the door. Hopefully somebody is still under the impression Borini is a footballer as well.

Can see us loaning Mario out until his contract ends. A mind bogglingly terrible signing.

Ha!  He does a bit, doesn't he.

On a slightly more serious note, I really don't see the point in signing Ings. Sturridge will obviously be ahead of him in the pecking order, and Origi has twice the talent. Any signing we make has to be a top class talent (like Vietto/Icardi etc) or someone that is already a top class player. 

No more cunting squad cunts.

Ings will be back at someone like Burnley by the time he's 26/27. 

Fair enough mate.  I won't be too arsed either way, really.  I've not seen enough of him to be able to judge his level 100%, which is obviously a fair flaw in my position and I do have doubts, but on the other hand he looks perfect for the way we play and I could see the benefit of him in various situations. 

If he would be happy with being an option and it's a development fee, I think he'd be a useful addition.  If he goes to United as I suspect he will and we do sign someone like a Vietto, and keep Sterling, I'd not expect to see us looking elsewhere for that position.

Just looks like a deal we're pursuing because it ticks several boxes, including the all-important value one, rather than being seen as a necessity.  I hope we sign first team players for the 3 obvious positions, 4 if we include right-back, and as long as they get filled to the right standard I'd not be too fussed on what else we do or don't in terms of such transfers as Ings.

The problem I'll have is if we don't aim for a high enough level in those positions, and then stock up on cheaper squad level players and value deals.  As I suspect will be much closer to the reality.