You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

It has got better in the last couple of seasons, but is still lacking.

I've wanted the club to enter our 23s into the Checkatrade Trophy these past couple of seasons. It would put the young lads up against seasoned professionals and has the incentive of a Wembley final at the end of it.

One of the few things I have disagreed with Klopp over, I understand his love for technique , but you need to show it in stressful matches and at some point you need to be able to cope with seasoned professionals trying to intimidate you if you are going to go on to be a decent pro. I thought the Checkatrade was manna from heaven when I saw it mooted.

We have some cracking talents like Woodburn and the lads on the bench at the weekend plus several more but there is a lot to be said for playing "mans" football. Even playing against alehouse strikers would be a great learning for say Conor Masterson.

It would be great if we could wrap up top 4 with 2-3 games to spare to get them in the team.

It's a real shame the U-23 structure is so shit. It would be great if the youngsters could get regular challenging games so we didn't have to farm them out on loan and end up disrupting the other age groups as well. No wonder it's so difficult for players to come through in this country.

I think you are way off the mark here -- for me U-23 is the most meaningless division there is.

Top players in the world are a few seasons into their senior career at 22 or 23. 

Recently - I cannot think of a single player we have had that wasn't established at that age that went on to play regular first team football.

To Ronnies point - Woodburn is what 18, Masterson is 19 - who are they going to play in a U-23 that will give them a footballing experience? If you want them to toughen up - send them to the Championship. If you want them to ever have a chance of playing for Liverpool - don't.

• Upvote 1

It finished 3-1 to us; our third came after a goalmouth scramble from another set-piece, Nat Phillips poking it into the net. They got one back with ten minutes left when their substitute Sambou ran onto a long ball, held off Masterson and beat Ward. The lovable Blues might have had their right-back sent off in stoppage time when he made a pathetic attempt to punch Whelan while he was killing time by the corner flag, but the ref didn't get a good view, and the assistant was curiously unhelpful, despite being 5 yards away.

Not a great performance, but three points for a change.

• Upvote 4

Rafael Camacho missed a penalty as Liverpool U18s ended their 2017-18 campaign with a 2-0 defeat away at Manchester City on Saturday morning, writes Steve Hunter. Two goals in the opening 45 minutes were enough for the home side to secure a second placed finish ahead of Steven Gerrard's team.

The young Reds, who included Liam Coyle in their starting XI for the first time since September after returning from a back injury, created some great chances but just couldn't put them away. Henri Ogunby opened the scoring on 14 minutes and Keke Simmonds increased City's advantage with the second goal. Camacho then missed a great opening from close range as Gerrard's charges tried to find a way back into the game. A lifeline came early in the second half when the Reds were awarded a penalty kick, but unfortunately Camacho fired his effort over the bar.

Reflecting on the final game of the season, Gerrard told Liverpoolfc.com: "We were second best all over the field in the first half but we had a great chance when Rafa hit the bar from just eight yards out. There were a lot of positives to take from our second half display. Rafa missed a penalty, we had one cleared off the line and missed some great chances. I'm not saying we should have won the game but we certainly created enough chances to have taken something from it. We did well in the second half and it was much improved from the first half."

Liverpool U18s: Kelleher, Larouci, Boyes (Walls, 80), Coyle (Hunter, 45), Clayton, Savage, McAuley (O'Rourke, 70), Dixon-Bonner, Millar, Camacho, Sharif.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/300032-report-camacho-misses-a-penalty-as-u18s-lose-at-city

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Under-23s vs. Chelsea (Anfield, 7 p.m., LFCTV et al.) :-

Good to see Liam Coyle fit again; mildly concerning that Masterson isn't playing.

Surely Masterson isn't involved in case of injury to one of the 3 senior centre backs. Nothing more to it than that, I would suspect.