You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

City will offer him 200k a week no bother and people are asking if we should go as high as 100k?

Im not sure they'd go that high but yes, if we dont, someone else will.

The club or rather the owners appear to be of the opinion that they dont want to stump up so much though.

The longer this drags on, the more likely the outcome will be the same as with Gerrard ie the player makes the decision for them.

Im not sure they'd go that high but yes, if we dont, someone else will.

The club or rather the owners appear to be of the opinion that they dont want to stump up so much though.

The longer this drags on, the more likely the outcome will be the same as with Gerrard ie the player makes the decision for them.

Given they were paying adebayor 180 grand a week sending him out on loan half his time there and they pay overrated wages for overrated shite like nasri Im pretty sure it wont be an issue.

Paying him an extra £30k per week is basically £7.5m over a 5 year contract by which time he will have become an LFC legend or made us a shitload of cash when he went. Why would you risk losing Sterling for asking for less than Glen Johnson is on ??

He's got 2 years left on his current contract so this new 5 year deal really only ties him to us for 3 years beyond that. That means in about 3 years time, we're going to be having all this again.

I dont think he'll become a legend in those 3 years but I wouldnt bet against him looking to move in 3 years.

Im not convinced he's worth the 100k a week he's reputed to be wanting but,  think we need to stump up the money to at least make sure we have him for the next 3 years and guarantee us a big fee if \ when he decides to move on.

I think Sterlings head has been turned. He needs to sign the bloody contract and get his head down. He's 20 for Christs sake and is being offered over £3.5m a year. He's starting to annoy me a little bit.

id say it's more his agent mate. Stringing it out for as long as possible to get the best deal for the player and a bigger percentage for himself.
  • Upvote 2

I think a deal will be done, but our qualification for CL may play a part.

Raheeem's agent starting on his own does not help. He will want to show that he can negotiate a ball breaking deal to win fresh clients, and Raheem and Berahino represent potential big pay days for him.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/09/liverpool-raheem-sterling-brendan-rodgers?CMP=share_btn_tw

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2928858/ITV-Sport-lead-race-2015-Cricket-World-Cup-highlights.html

Doesnt sound to me like we're going to move substantially regarding this. A few weeks ago rodgers was saying he was confident a deal would be done very soon but now he's taken to firing a warning shot across the agent's bow.

Brendan Rodgers warns Raheem Sterling’s agent over new Liverpool deal
Forward has been offered ‘an incredible deal’ to stay at Anfield
Jordan Henderson has also yet to sign a contract extension
Jordon Ibe illuminates stalemate in Gerrard’s final derby day
Raheem-Sterling-008.jpg
Raheem Sterling has looked back to his best for Liverpool since being handed a break by manager Brendan Rodgers. Photograph: John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images

Brendan Rodgers has warned Raheem Sterling’s advisors that Liverpool will not be held to ransom over a new contract and fears an excessive salary could jeopardise the player’s future.

The Liverpool manager claimed Sterling has been offered “an incredible deal” for a 20-year-old, one that rewards his development into the team’s finest player this season, and gave the clearest illustration so far that the protracted contract saga stems from a failure to agree terms with the forward’s agent, Aidy Ward. Ward is currently in the process of leaving Impact Sports Management to start his own company but, while that has complicated finalising a deal, Rodgers stressed Liverpool will not bow to the demands of any player.

Sterling is under contract at Anfield until 2017 and has yet to sign a new deal despite negotiations opening in October. Club captain Steven Gerrard last week urged Liverpool to agree terms with both Sterling and Jordan Henderson “before it is too late”, with the vice-captain’s current deal due to expire in 2016.

And Rodgers commented: “Steven is relaying a message that the club obviously wants as well. Both players are very, very important for the future and the club recognise that and I only hope as the manager that it will be resolved very soon.

“What the club has offered (Sterling) is an incredible deal for a young player. I have spoken to Raheem a number of times. He is very happy here and you see that in his game. What he has been granted at this football club is an opportunity. We see that with lots of young players they are getting the opportunity to play here and they get rewarded for that.

“But we are certainly not a club that is going to give out way way above what a player is worth at a certain time of his career. It is not a case of giving any player, and I am talking generally here rather than just Raheem, what they want. We want to reward our best talents, they are a big part of our future and we are confident that will all be hand and resolved soon.”

As was the case before Sterling signed his current five-year deal in 2012, and applies to all youngsters at the club, the Liverpool manager believes there must be incentive for a player to develop in his contract.

“For me in general, and not just about Raheem, it is very important that young players have something to strive for,” Rodgers explained. “If they get too much too young then it can really sabotage their development. That is obviously the job of the football club and why we communicate a lot with the players and their advisors. If they are given sound advice and good advice they will see that because it is about mapping out the career of a young player, it is not just this deal.

“In Raheem’s case he has been outstanding since we put him in the team but we mustn’t forget this was a 17-year-old boy who was given an opportunity at Liverpool. In the two and half years since he has been introduced into the squad he has been fantastic but he still has a long way to go.

“He still has bit to do in his development and we believe this will be the best place for him and I believe he knows that as well. It is important that you reward and for him his value and worth is very important for us, but also that you leave something for them to progress onto the next level and that is same for all young players, not just Raheem.”

Depending on what's being offered,if it's big and he's turning it down then launch him into the reserves til he signs. He's here til 2017 so he won't want to rot in there. However if we're penny pinching,as I suspect but hope not,then he's right to wait til the offer is on a par with what he's worth to us,regardless of age. We're fucking hopeless in the main on transfers and renegotiating contracts.

Sterling staying here long term makes the most sense for him and he's agent football wise and finacially, unless they are idiots he's staying and I'm sure he will be.

The club must know this as well which is why they have not just gave in to his demands, Gerrards comments did not help.

It needs to get sorted one way or another soon now though as there is questions put to Rodgers every week, make him the final offer and if he wants to play ultra greedy bastard then frankly I could live with him going.

As good as he is and I think he will go on to be world class if given games like he is now we could cope without him, we already have a few top quality young players who can play out wide and Behind the striker.I don't want him to go but if his decision to stay is only about money then fuck him.

• Downvote 1

Depending on what's being offered,if it's big and he's turning it down then launch him into the reserves til he signs. He's here til 2017 so he won't want to rot in there. However if we're penny pinching,as I suspect but hope not,then he's right to wait til the offer is on a par with what he's worth to us,regardless of age. We're fucking hopeless in the main on transfers and renegotiating contracts.

I think we've offerred 70 grand a week while his agent is holding out for 100. Are we going to give him half as much again?

By the same token, I dont think we're in a position to send him back to the U21s. Think that would harden both his and his agent's stance. We need to get him signed up asap. Think we need to bite the bullet.

Maybe it's not just the wages. He might be waiting to see if we're in the CL next season before committing.

Seems daft if so, as he wouldn't be a first teamer in most other big clubs in Europe at the moment. He's a good player, he might one day be great but he's still very raw and not someone who's in a position to go around naming his own terms. The only reason he's got us by the balls is because we've got so few good players. We're not the first mediocre side to produce a top young player then get put through the wringer, ask Everton fans.

Sterling staying here long term makes the most sense for him and he's agent football wise and financially,.

Football wise Raheem will get the most game time with us.

But financially, Chelsea, City and Man U don't blink at £200k salaries and can offer CL football with the added image and commercial deals which come with it.

Brendan has done a good job with him, hopefully that will count for something.

I still think we'll cave and give him what he wants.

He's worth it purely because of his adaptability and what he might become. What was a lightweight winger a couple of years ago who flattered to deceive, has since turned into someone who can play anywhere in the forward line, and without just relying on sheer pace either.

If he keeps developing as he has in the past 18 months then the difference in wages will be written off against the likely fee we'd get for him if he ever did move. Letting him run down his contract is just not an option.

We'd be bargaining from a better position if we hadn't bought a lot of players who still don't jeopardise Sterling's name being the first on the team sheet, good form or not.