You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who has the best first starting XI?

WhiskeyJar

Who has the best first starting XI?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best first starting XI?

• We do, we have more quality than they have.
    • Tottenham have more quality in their first team.
    • Both are about on the same level.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I was actually wondering the other day how many of United's first 11 would get into our team? Maybe Vidic, Valencia and Van Persie?

Yeah, there might be a few close calls between some of the players, but they don't have many 'clearly better' players. What they do have is a clearly better team. The stability that has run through that club for decades and the demands of the manager kept them going. The trick now is for them to keep it going with 'winner' Moyes and players who are coming to the end of their shelf-life.

I actually think we're becoming a better team. We need some more quality in that team, but we're becoming a better unit. That's what wins leagues. Individuals within a team win in Europe, I find.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Spurs are so overrated it's not even funny.

I'd have agreed at the beginning of the summer. If they add Willian and Lamela to Soldado, though. Well, that's pretty good. Assuming they adjust to the league, that is.

I'd have agreed at the beginning of the summer. If they add Willian and Lamela to Soldado, though. Well, that's pretty good. Assuming they adjust to the league, that is.

Suarez and Sturridge are better than any strikers Spurs would be able to trot out this season. I also don't think they have any attacking midfielders at the level of Coutinho. Defensive personnel is a wash.

It's not that I think we are clearly better. I wouldn't be shocked if they finished above us, I wouldn't be shocked if we had a better season either. It's just that the assumption that Spurs are clearly better is lost on me.

If you go position to position, I'd say their best back 4 is: Walker, Vertonghen, Dawson and Rose, if I go with potential. Compare it to ours: Johnson, Agger, Toure/Skrtel and Enrique. Combined I'd go with Johnson-Agger-Vertonghen-Enrique. Central midfield would be Dembele-Gerrard-Paulinho. Attacking wise it's debatable, our best 3 - Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge to their (if they keep Bale) Bale-Soldado-Sigurddson/Chadli. If we mix it I'd go with Bale-Suarez-Coutinho. I'd go with Lloris as a GK so the starting XI would be in our favor by a player, but its due to personal preference.

If they lose Bale and get Conetrao, Willian and Lamela combined with what they already have it looks like a really strong team if all of them settle properly. Come end of season if we are ahead of them, I'm confident it will be enough to secure a CL spot.