You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

Did you get it from the place at the top of Fleshmarket Close?

Get a chicken Shawarma instead, from there.

Or a baked tattie from the top of Cockburn St.

Ah, God love yer.

No, we didn't but I will definitely give it a try.

Apologies, to all non Edinburghers.

The other member of the shift got a deep fried pizza. It looked horrifc

Mrs G has been making healthy breakfasts for the family to try to get us all fueled up for the day. She has been making these little mini omelets that you bake in the oven, and loading them up with kale, spinach, ham, delicious veggies. Another day it was oatmeal, and she had some local honey, blueberries and flax seeds and other stuff that a working class lad like me didn’t know, but I ate it anyway.

Dropped about 8-10 pounds since the New Year, not really from trying to, but just eating a bit healthier.

Inspired me to make mini omelette things for breakfast this week

3a495978c9eb96e924aea5b1575f34af.jpg

• Upvote 3

Slightly nervous about the chorizo in the sausages and the amount of oil they might release, I have to say, Paulie. I await reports

f30bdfd83c4d096dd10c89049a3bd4fe.jpg

Worked out well. The oil made the edges and bottom really crispy and flavoursome. Really vamped up the heat at The end as there was some oil pooling but alls well that ended well

• Upvote 3

f30bdfd83c4d096dd10c89049a3bd4fe.jpg

Worked out well. The oil made the edges and bottom really crispy and flavoursome. Really vamped up the heat at The end as there was some oil pooling but alls well that ended well

That looks fab.

My kebabs, on the other hand, were not very photogenic

• Upvote 1

Did the kebab today (prepped yesterday with the marinade).  Left the coriander as a garnish with the salad and included some chopped chillies in the marinade as well (also totally forgot about the garlic somehow, was still delicious, but would have elevated it further).  On a baguette with hot sauce and salad, lovely stuff.  Thanks Col!

Jumped on the Kebab band wagon last night and did flattened strips of chicken breast in creme fraiche, cumin, coriander powder, smoked paprika, garamasala and a chicken oxo cube, fried in spray oil served with home made slaw, fried onions and, because Lady D didn't associate my request for Pitta Breads with having kebabs for tea, warbuton thins. 

It was delicious and I only wish I'd marinated overnight instead of just for a couple of hours. 

No pictures because by the time it was ready we were fucking starving and ate it. 

• Upvote 1

Trout is lush. Delicate one with subtle flavour. Should be a staple for people who complain about "fishy" flavours but you don't see it enough.

Ginger, five spice, touch of chilli, lemon juice and thyme. Wrap it up and give it ten minutes. Perfect.

• Upvote 1

Got a bread machine in the aldi reduced bit for £15 yesterday.

Anyone use one?

61327d4b549546dde9c7392d5b163604.jpg

Yeah make most of our bread using it, love the smell. I'm a bit lazy and usually buy the ready made bread mixes but also buy pumpkin, sesame and poppy seeds, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, lots of herbs, paprika and sometimes cheese adding various combinations to make them different.

I find the water measurements recommended on the side of the mixes to be too high generally so reduce the volume to around 50% ml to the grams of flour and lash in a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil which really helps settle the consistency. A generous lashing of pepper just at the end of the mixing cycle makes a great tasting crust.

The dough cycle also makes a fantastic pizza base, cutting out a lot of the work and mess.

At £15 you can't go wrong, sounds like a bargain to me

• Upvote 1

Trout is lush. Delicate one with subtle flavour. Should be a staple for people who complain about "fishy" flavours but you don't see it enough.

Ginger, five spice, touch of chilli, lemon juice and thyme. Wrap it up and give it ten minutes. Perfect.

Trout is a great fish.

Love doing it with griddled fennel, asparagus and crushed new potatoes.

• Upvote 1

Yeah make most of our bread using it, love the smell. I'm a bit lazy and usually buy the ready made bread mixes but also buy pumpkin, sesame and poppy seeds, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, lots of herbs, paprika and sometimes cheese adding various combinations to make them different.

I find the water measurements recommended on the side of the mixes to be too high generally so reduce the volume to around 50% ml to the grams of flour and lash in a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil which really helps settle the consistency. A generous lashing of pepper just at the end of the mixing cycle makes a great tasting crust.

The dough cycle also makes a fantastic pizza base, cutting out a lot of the work and mess.

At £15 you can't go wrong, sounds like a bargain to me

Cheers mate. Picked up a granary mix from the shop

Doing a "French bread" setting now just strong white flour. Eta about 7 o'clock.

We eat a lot of bread at home so making my own is something I've looked I to before but doing it manually seems a lot of effort so when i saw the machine for that price I was all over it