You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Based on that, I would consider one of these:

Innokin iTaste MVP [VE535] - £44.95 : Vape Escape

It's 107mm x 41mm x 22mm, so not much bigger than a phone, has 2600mah capacity which could last you two days off one four hour charge, variable wattage which means you find your sweet spot then set and forget, and will also charge your phone for you. At 3 ml juice capacity, you will probably only need to fill it once per day as long as you choose the right strength liquid.

All you would need to buy with it at first is some juice and a couple of spare atomiser heads for the clearomiser. If you didn't get on with it I also reckon I could sell it for you on another forum at 70% of your outlay or more.

That would also leave you some budget to buy a couple of little ciggie sized batteries with some cartomisers for spares and not looking like a tool in the pub. You could also charge those in your pocket off the MVP.

Right, had a look at this, still a bit confused by some of the jargon. What is the glass thing with the metal top and the measuring levels called? A "dual coil tank"? What's it for? Preumably filling with the liquid? Is that a permanent thing that doesn't need replaced regularly?

And what does this mean: "The MVP is charged by simply connecting to the mini USB charging cable (supplied)"?

Spare iClear atomiser heads: iClear30 Spare Heads [VE502] - £2.50 : Vape Escape

510 auto-batteries: 510 Automatic Batteries [VE436] - £7.95 : Vape Escape

510 mini-USB charger: 510 Mini USB Charger [VE211] - £3.95 : Vape Escape

Boge low resistance cartomisers: Boge 510 Low Resistance (5) [VE146] - £5.99 : Vape Escape

You can also get juice from that site, but you'll get it much cheaper here: LT Ecigs

How many do you smoke per day now? I'll be able to work out what strength juice to get and how much you will use from that.

Thanks for laying these all out.

The heads go into the glass thing above, yes? How long do those last and is that a simple process of changing?

Is the battery just a spare then? I.e, does the original kit come with the same battery?

I get the idea of the mini USB thing - you charge it off a USB port rather than the mains, aye? Not sure I'd need that.

A cartomiser - what exactly is that for? (I have read the description on the link but I don't get it) It mentions an "atomiser and a cartridge", but that means nothing to me tbh. How often do those need changed/bought, etc?

I smoke about 10 a day normally, more at the weekends usually and a lot more if the kid isn't about - say 20 a day. Days of heavy drinking, probably 30-40. About 10 though I'd say is a rough estimate.

Whatever you decide on, I would also recommend one of these if you don't already have one: USB Mains Adapter [VE271] - £5.95 : Vape Escape

Think I have one of these. It's just a plug with a USB port, yeah?

Rightyho, that's a lot of questions!

Right, had a look at this, still a bit confused by some of the jargon. What is the glass thing with the metal top and the measuring levels called? A "dual coil tank"? What's it for? Preumably filling with the liquid? Is that a permanent thing that doesn't need replaced regularly?

The "glass" thing comprises an atomiser head to vapourise the juice and a juice tank to hold it. You fill it up and screw it onto the top of the MVP and vape from it, with the MVP providing the current to it. You shouldn't need to replace the whole thing, just the atomiser heads from time to time. You might, at some stage, decide to experiment with different devices instead of that, or you might never feel the need to. The MVP will take any atomiser/tank with a 510 connection, which is pretty much standard.

And what does this mean: "The MVP is charged by simply connecting to the mini USB charging cable (supplied)"?

The MVP contains a 2600mah Lithium Ion battery, and it's charged using a mini USB cable, bit like a smartphone.

The heads go into the glass thing above, yes? How long do those last and is that a simple process of changing?

Yes they do. They should last around a week, say, but it depends how heavily you use it and what juice you are using. Some people get two weeks out of them, some only a few days. As a light smoker, you will need to change them less often than most people. You will need to change them eventually though, because the heating coil and wick inside will eventually get clogged up which makes the taste go off. It's as simple as screwing the old one out and screwing the new one in.

Is the battery just a spare then? I.e, does the original kit come with the same battery?

The MVP contains a massive battery, but you said you would like something cigarette sized to use without looking like a twonk. If you bought a little cigarette sized 510 auto battery or two you could vape on that sometimes instead of the MVP, with the advantage that you could charge it in your pocket when out and about using the MVP, which you can also use to charge your phone or run any USB device. The MVP doubles up as a power pack essentially, because it has a USB output socket. There is absolutely no need to buy the little batteries, but you might like to have them to use in the pub, on the bus, or when your MVP is charging (hence they would also be "spares").

I get the idea of the mini USB thing - you charge it off a USB port rather than the mains, aye? Not sure I'd need that.

The mini USB charger would only be any use if you bought a 510 auto battery. You could attach it to the MVP or plug it in any USB socket to charge your little battery, but it won't charge the MVP.

A cartomiser - what exactly is that for? (I have read the description on the link but I don't get it) It mentions an "atomiser and a cartridge", but that means nothing to me tbh. How often do those need changed/bought, etc?

The cartomisers would look much less silly on the 510 auto battery than the big iClear tank, but they do exactly the same job. You wouldn't absolutely need them unless you wanted a secondary device which looks like a cigarette, although you could also use one attached to the MVP instead of the tank, which would enable you to switch flavours.

One cartomiser would last up to a week, maybe more for the amount you smoke.

I smoke about 10 a day normally, more at the weekends usually and a lot more if the kid isn't about - say 20 a day. Days of heavy drinking, probably 30-40. About 10 though I'd say is a rough estimate.

If you bought 12 mg strength liquid, 3ml would be worth about 10 cigarettes, so you would use about one tank a day. If you bought 18 mg strength, a tank would be worth about 15 ciggies. If you bought 24 mg strength, a tank would be worth about 20 ciggies. Additionally, if you fill up a cartomiser with those strengths, it would be worth about 3.5 ciggies, 5.5 ciggies, or 7.5 ciggies respectively, before you needed to refill it.

Think I have one of these. It's just a plug with a USB port, yeah?

Yeah, you get a much faster charge off a wall mounted USB socket than, say, a laptop.

When I say one cartomiser would last a week by the way, that would be if you were using it exclusively. If you were using four cartomisers with different flavours they would each last maybe a month, and if you were only using them sometimes instead of the MVP they would last longer.

Right, thanks for the help with this, I think I understand a fair bit now. I'm always reluctant to buy things when I don't know exactly what the crack is.

So, the tank, in this case the iClear 30 dual coil, attaches to the top but is interchangeable with other tanks. I saw this for £40 on this site but it has a different tank:

INNOKIN iTaste MVP STV Kit ON SALE

Is this tank much of muchness compared with the other one or worse? Or even better?

The thing about the battery I still don't 100% get. You actually "smoke" those batteries then? It's not actually then a spare battery in essence but a spare thing to smoke?

I more or less understand the cartomiser idea now. You attach it to the slim battery, but it can also be attached to the actual MVP unit. It's filled with liquid, hence, as you say, you can have 5 different types loaded on it and just swap them around at will, for example. Once a cartomiser has been filled and all the liquid smoked from it, is it then binned? Why the difference between the amount of cigarettes per liquid when used in a tnak and a cartomiser?

Right, thanks for the help with this, I think I understand a fair bit now. I'm always reluctant to buy things when I don't know exactly what the crack is.

No problem mate, ask away.

So, the tank, in this case the iClear 30 dual coil, attaches to the top but is interchangeable with other tanks. I saw this for £40 on this site but it has a different tank:

INNOKIN iTaste MVP STV Kit ON SALE

Is this tank much of muchness compared with the other one or worse? Or even better?

I would say the iClear 30 is the better tank. It has dual heating coils, which means it can produce more vapour, and it also has a better wicking system for drawing the liquid to the coils. It also has a swivelling mouthpiece so it's easier to vape with.

The thing about the battery I still don't 100% get. You actually "smoke" those batteries then? It's not actually then a spare battery in essence but a spare thing to smoke?

Yes, it's an extra thing to smoke. You absolutely would not need them, and they are not as good a vape as the MVP, but they are cigarette sized and would give you more options. I only suggested them because you originally said you wanted something cigarette sized.

They would come in handy for low profile vaping or when the MVP is charging, but they are not a necessary part of your kit. Minimum purchase would be the MVP, some juice and some spare heads for the tank.

I more or less understand the cartomiser idea now. You attach it to the slim battery, but it can also be attached to the actual MVP unit. It's filled with liquid, hence, as you say, you can have 5 different types loaded on it and just swap them around at will, for example. Once a cartomiser has been filled and all the liquid smoked from it, is it then binned? Why the difference between the amount of cigarettes per liquid when used in a tnak and a cartomiser?

No, you can keep refilling the cartomiser until it starts to taste bad, then you bin it. The difference is that the tank has a 3ml capacity, and the cartomiser has a 1.1ml capacity. The cartomiser also contains wadding material to hold the juice, so once you put one flavour in it you shouldn't put a different flavour in, whereas with the tank you can give it a quick wash and put a new flavour in.

One other major feature of the MVP by the way is that you can adjust the power you vape at to provide more or less vapour per puff. You can't do that with the little batteries.

The MVP is a far, far superior device to anything else I could recommend within your budget.

Right, I'm getting the idea now. You've certainly come a long way in the vaping expertise stakes since you posted this thread originally!

So, basically, the only thing I'm still wondering is whether it's better to get a different battery than the one you listed? It's the cheapest of course, but is it the best value in the sense of hit, longevity, batery life etc? Have you got one of these yourself? I definitely do like the idea of having one.

Right, I'm getting the idea now. You've certainly come a long way in the vaping expertise stakes since you posted this thread originally!

So, basically, the only thing I'm still wondering is whether it's better to get a different battery than the one you listed? It's the cheapest of course, but is it the best value in the sense of hit, longevity, batery life etc? Have you got one of these yourself? I definitely do like the idea of having one.

Yeah, it's become a bit of a hobby for me. I love vaping instead of smoking so I have dived right into it and found out all the variations, but for most people they just want something to stick in their mouth to give them some nicotine.

You mean a different one to the MVP or a different one to the little ciggie-sized ones? I started out with one of the little ones and used it for a couple of weeks, before I got an Ego Twist, which is a much bigger 900mah battery with variable voltage.

Then I came into some money and bought a Provari, which is probably the best variable voltage device on the market, but is more than three times the cost of the MVP. The MVP does everything the Provari does and actually a bit more, but the Provari is built like a soviet tank and you can change the batteries in it and charge them separately.

If I had known then what I know now though, then the MVP would have been a better buy in terms of value for money.

I also have a couple of "mech mods", which have no electronics in them at all; they're just a metal battery holder with a mechanical switch.

Any of these devices does the basic job of delivering nicotine. In my opinion you can't go wrong at all with the MVP though, in terms of price and functionality.

If you're asking about a different battery to the little batteries, then an Ego battery has more capacity, but is a lot bigger. You could charge either from the MVP.

The other thing about the little ones I recommended is that they are "auto" batteries, so there is no button to press to heat the coils. When you draw on the cartomiser or whatever, the current switches on.

Here's a 650mah Ego battery for comparison: Joyetech eGo-C 650 Battery [VE406] - £13.95 : Vape Escape

It would make a better backup because it holds three times the charge and has two voltage settings, but it's also bigger and more clunky to use.

Yeah, it will definitely pack less of a punch than an Ego, but the MVP will blow the socks off both of them if you turn it all the way up to 15 watts. If you don't mind the slightly bigger form factor and the concept of pushing a button then the Ego is a much better backup though. The other thing with an Ego is because it's bigger you could put a clearomiser on it without it looking daft, which is halfway between the cartomiser and the iClear 30.

The Evod is a good little clearomiser with replaceable heads: EVOD BC Clearomiser [VE505] - £5.95 : Vape Escape

I still use these on an Ego from time to time.

I've played around with a fair bit of stuff but my favourites at the moment are eGo Spinner batteries (able to vary the voltage on them) and Kanger T3 tanks during the day.

Epipe at home in the evenings

If you're starting, I'd recommend finding a decent shop and chatting to them before any big cash outlays

Re the changing of the heads, how easy is that to do?

So, what about flavours? I see they tend to come in 10ml or 30ml - is it probably better at first to get some 10ml ones even though it's dearer per ml as it were?

Changing Evod heads is just a case on unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one, exactly the same as for the iClear 30. They carry spare heads on the same vendor website. The reason I've tried to source everything from there is not that it's necessarily the cheapest on every individual item but because the postage can be a sting if you get everything from different vendors.

One exception would be juice, and I would recommend LT Ecigs highly for that. Flavours are a really subjective thing, so I would recommend getting a few different ones, because some you think you will like you will hate! Start with 10 ml of each flavour and if it hits the spot, order some more. I would recommend 18 mg strength for most new users. If you find yourself toking on it all the time, raise the strength and you will reach for it less, and if you find yourself getting nicotine headaches, lower it. If the juice vendors give you a choice of PG/VG ratio, start with 50/50. PG will give you a throat hit but little vapour, whereas VG gives you lots of vapour but little throat hit.

If you want a recommendation for a tobacco juice, both banger and I have really enjoyed The Moors flavour from LT Ecigs. It's like a decent rolling tobacco with a raisiny aftertaste. Be prepared for tobacco flavours to taste like tobacco smells though, not like the taste of smoking them! I would also say try some non-tobacco juices, because one of the best things about vaping is not being tied to one flavour.

Changing Evod heads is just a case on unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one, exactly the same as for the iClear 30. They carry spare heads on the same vendor website. The reason I've tried to source everything from there is not that it's necessarily the cheapest on every individual item but because the postage can be a sting if you get everything from different vendors.

One exception would be juice, and I would recommend LT Ecigs highly for that. Flavours are a really subjective thing, so I would recommend getting a few different ones, because some you think you will like you will hate! Start with 10 ml of each flavour and if it hits the spot, order some more. I would recommend 18 mg strength for most new users. If you find yourself toking on it all the time, raise the strength and you will reach for it less, and if you find yourself getting nicotine headaches, lower it. If the juice vendors give you a choice of PG/VG ratio, start with 50/50. PG will give you a throat hit but little vapour, whereas VG gives you lots of vapour but little throat hit.

If you want a recommendation for a tobacco juice, both banger and I have really enjoyed The Moors flavour from LT Ecigs. It's like a decent rolling tobacco with a raisiny aftertaste. Be prepared for tobacco flavours to taste like tobacco smells though, not like the taste of smoking them! I would also say try some non-tobacco juices, because one of the best things about vaping is not being tied to one flavour.

Yeah, I was on that site having a good look. It's got plenty of flavours, noticed the Moors one you mentioned, sounded interesting. Also thinking menthol would be hard to go wrong with.

Think I'm going to go ahead and get this gear tonight after work.

Oh ffs, a couple more things I'm wondering about now. This battery:

Esmart Batteries [VE531] - £11.99 : Vape Escape

Seems somewhere in between the other 2 for size, etc - is that all compatible with the other cartomisers, etc? And what is the difference with the resistance in the cartomisers?

Look compatible with most clearomisers & cartomisers but 320mah is a bit shit - you'd be recharging them a lot

Look compatible with most clearomisers & cartomisers but 320mah is a bit shit - you'd be recharging them a lot

OK, i hear you, thanks. Back to the Joyetech one Zig mentioned earlier then.

Here's what I have in my basket:

Innnokin iTASTE MVP

5 x iClear 30 spare heads

Boge 510 low resistance cartomiser

Joyetech eGo-C 650 Battery

Mini USB Charger

Over on the LT Ecig, I have 10ml of the following:

Moors

Spearmint

B Fresh

Lime