You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa - A Wondeful Man

Pureblood

Let's put some of this hyperbole to bed, eh?

He knew what he was getting into?

He's a top coach needing to get back into top line management. Is he supposed to pass up an approach from commerade abramovich? He has a professional reputation to re build or maintain depending on your point of view. look what happened to george graham when he kept turning down jobs, he stopped getting calls.

Like lots of people with a positive outlook, he no doubt knew it was a big ask but he would have gone in with the attitude that he could do the job others couldnt. That's not pigheadedness, it's confidence in his own ability.

He's had offers from other clubs?

Has he? Who would they be? Is he expected to do a lesser job? How many people here go searching for a job that has lower responsibility than their last one?

His belligerent nature?

So in other words he likes things done his way? Guess what, when Im managing people, it aint a democracy either. They do as I tell them to or they can get to fuck. That's why Im paid to manage and they are paid to do.

Benitez's big misfortune is to have taken on job mourinho has left. But what's he supposed to do when Inter and commerade abramovich came calling? Say no thanks then be accused of not having the guts to take on these jobs and that he'd rather sit at home on the wirral?

Its called catch 22.

I've seen some folk say he didnt need to work as he has lots of money. To people who only see money as the reason for working that might be an easy answer. But if you work to better yourself or to have a real impact on things, the size of your bank balance really has little meaning to your life.

And look at his record since he left us,hardly a diplomat is he?

If he hasnt had other offers then why not? After all he's just a big friendly all loving ball of friendliness.

According to many of us Torres is a cunt for going to Chelsea, regardless how he went about it.

Rafa is not a cunt for going to Chelsea.

I don't see the difference. Once a player or manager professes their love for my club then goes to a rival then back tracks on what he said about his new club back in the day can do one as far as I am concerned.

Well then you're an absolute idiot.

But we all knew that anyway.

Guest San Don
And look at his record since he left us,hardly a diplomat is he?

If he hasnt had other offers then why not? After all he's just a big friendly all loving ball of friendliness.

So obviously you'd rather he 'just concentrated on coaching his team' then at that time? Or is it OK to chuck diplomacy out the window when it suits?

People are talking about his sacking here and Inter without know the facts never mind the 'full' facts. I havent a clue what went on at Anfield. I do know Benitez's cards would have been marked by FSG even when they took over purely because they have shown they want 'their' man.

I havent a scoobie what went on at Inter. Do you?

If he hasnt had offers, why was that? I dont know but I can make a guess. In any professions, you're only as good as your last job. Reputations are changed on the back of mistakes or well placed whispers in the media etc.

At the end of the day, he's a manager. He isnt paid to be friendly, friendly to please everyone. Yes, his man management skills use to annoy the fuck out of me but you've got to realise some players, club owners and administrators think they are fucking gods and not the club's performance.

So obviously you'd rather he 'just concentrated on coaching his team' then at that time? Or is it OK to chuck diplomacy out the window when it suits?

People are talking about his sacking here and Inter without know the facts never mind the 'full' facts. I havent a clue what went on at Anfield. I do know Benitez's cards would have been marked by FSG even when they took over purely because they have shown they want 'their' man.

I havent a scoobie what went on at Inter. Do you?

If he hasnt had offers, why was that? I dont know but I can make a guess. In any professions, you're only as good as your last job. Reputations are changed on the back of mistakes or well placed whispers in the media etc.

At the end of the day, he's a manager. He isnt paid to be friendly, friendly to please everyone. Yes, his man management skills use to annoy the fuck out of me but you've got to realise some players, club owners and administrators think they are fucking gods and not the club's performance.

Can imagine San Don writing his replies looking like this,

index2-1.jpg

You make it sound like its a bad thing that we like to have our tummys rubbed and told how great we are. He didnt have to donate what he donated or say what he said. He has given our club some magnificent nights and his donations to the HFSG after he was sacked was very moving and you are doing a massive disservice to guy by dimissing it as 'pandering'.

The guy is and always will be a Liverpool legend regardless of what a few people say about him.

Robbie, it is best we leave this conversation where it is.

He's a player and pandered to the fans with the right words. We fell for it, some of us woke up earlier, some of us woke up a little later. Some of us are still dreaming.

Having a mare on this thread, Skids.

You have your opinion on Rafa, i have another one. I'm not going to tell you that you're a simpleton or an idiot so i don't expect you to tell me or other's who like Rafa that we were deluded or dupes.

It sounds like you're trying to tell me that you know better than us poor fools...it's a nonsense, mate. Your opinion is just your opinion without any more validity than other's on this forum.

If you want to patronise people that's up to you but it's not an edifying position to be in

If you were a squirrel you'd be highest in the tree

If you were an insect you'd be the busiest little bee

If you were a frog' date=' you'd croak loudest of them all

And if you were a giraffe you'd be tallest of the tall

And if you were an owl you'd be wise as wise can be

And if you were a dolphin you'd be the fastest in the sea

That is why we're proud to have you as the leader of our team

As we stand upon the Kop, hoping to live our dream

You direct our heroes here and there, pushing them for more

It's only a matter of time before we bring home trophies galore

So thank the lord you're not a squirrel, dolphin giraffe, frog or bee

I just want you to know you mean all the world to me[/quote']

*sips pint and stares longingly into the distance*

Chelsea were as good as out of the CL before he took over. I appreciate he likes where he lives, but if he want's another job he is going to have to move.

I don't care he is trying his hand at Chelsea, what I don't get is a thread like this like he is some sort of secret agent intent on destroying Chelsea like Torres. It's pathetic.

I don't think it is an insult to all Liverpool fans, I think it is an insult to all those that still hold him in some sort of Messiah. But then again, he could never do any wrong no matter what.

He can't be blaming those that appointed him for the backlash because of his job title, he knew what was going to happen when he signed, he is moaning about something he created and also something he accepted. I have zero sympathy or empathy for him.

I respect him for the two trophies he won, the good European nights but he has been gone 3 fucking years and people still bleat on about him being some sort of martyr. That is what I find odd.

Where are the threads calling Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish wonderful men? They are all past managers who are rightly held in a higher regard than Rafa.

The meal ticket that he has been dining out on since 2005 (a monumental achievement no doubt) is not accepted by many people any more.

He needs something else, somewhere out of England. His reputation has took a battering and he would be best moving on and realising he is never going to sit in the Anfield dugout again.

People have said on this thread, as much as" I don't want Rodgers sacked, I would take him back tomorrow". Come off it, do you people really think that FSG are watching him self implode (again) and thinking

"Yes, there is our man right there Tom. He is a yes man, just what we need. I heard he likes tables and dislikes lamps. Get him a table Tom"

Skids you're going off on one and lots of it is a bit irrelevant and manic. Chelsea are fourth, had a slim chance of staying in the Champs and were still in all the other cups. Rafa wants to win things with a decent level club and get bit of rep back.

The thread isn't suggesting he's a secret agent, and why would you even care what any idiot who thinks that has to say? It's just that he's the major story of the day and lots of LFC fans like him so he'll get some love for calling the Chelsea fans twats, it's inevitable. There are no threads about Paisley because he isn't relevant today, Benitez is the main story.

I don't know why people keep saying they've no sympathy for him when he's clearly not asking for any. He's saying, pretty calmly, that calling him the interim manager and undermining him hasn't helped and neither will the fans poisoning the home atmoshpere. He's basically trying to push the narrative that them missing out on 4th won't be all on him (a sensible move given it was always a strategic career move to go there for half a year).

The meal ticket comment is daft too, but that's a different, much longer and well-worn discussion.

Skids you're going off on one and lots of it is a bit irrelevant and manic. Chelsea are fourth, had a slim chance of staying in the Champs and were still in all the other cups. Rafa wants to win things with a decent level club and get bit of rep back.

I know, I hate myself for biting again on a Rafa thread but this pointless thread riled me as the day went on and foolishly I have bitten. There was already a Rafa thread and I see no point in this one.

I am an argumentative fuck at times and this thread is like a red rag for me. Especially (rightly or wrongly) after the day I in work I have had.

The thread isn't suggesting he's a secret agent, and why would you even care what any idiot who thinks that has to say? It's just that he's the major story of the day and lots of LFC fans like him so he'll get some love for calling the Chelsea fans twats, it's inevitable. There are no threads about Paisley because he isn't relevant today, Benitez is the main story.

I know this thread is not suggesting he is a secret agent. And I just get tired of it all. It does my head in that I always get caught up in it. But sometimes you see something you thin k"What the fuck" and you can't help but respond.

I personally don't see how Rafa having a moan about a job that he took knowing full well what the situation was, is relevant to Liverpool Football Club in anyway shape for form to be honest. Well another thread at the very least.

I don't know why people keep saying they've no sympathy for him when he's clearly not asking for any. He's saying, pretty calmly, that calling him the interim manager and undermining him hasn't helped and neither will the fans poisoning the home atmoshpere. He's basically trying to push the narrative that them missing out on 4th won't be all on him (a sensible move given it was always a strategic career move to go there for half a year).

I get what he is trying to say, and every person with a bit of sense can see it is not all down to him the failure that they might not get 4th.

But what did he expect when he went there though Stu? Roses, Sugar Coated Chocolatey hearts and a bottle of wine? Every man and his dog knew a) it would end in tears and b) he would never be accepted by the Chelsea fans because he managed us.

I don't think he can take criticism, he is very thin skinned in my opinion and this is one of his flaws. I don't think he has many major flaws, just a few that are to the detriment of his true ability to be a top top coach.

I am not saying he is asking for sympathy. It is his adoring fans are the ones that believe he should be getting sympathy. it is never his fault though. He always has mitigating circumstances. he had the rug pulled from underneath him. So on and so forth. It is as bring now as it was when he was here.

All I see from those who believe he should not have gone, is a long list of excuses.

The meal ticket comment is daft too, but that's a different, much longer and well-worn discussion.

I think the meal ticket comment should aimed at his adoring crowd rather than him. As looking back it is those that are allowing him to dine out on it.

If Code would have started a "Rafa Moaning Again, When Will He Ever Learn: Here are 45 Eye Aids Statistical Points To Prove He Won't" He would have been jumped as quick as e a dirty street whore gobbling on a punters cock for a tenner.

One thread was enough.

Just so people know where I stand.

I thank him for 2005, one of the greatest nights of my life as a Liverpool fan.

I thank him for the FA Cup win in 2006.

I thank him for the great European nights we were given while he was here.

I respect he did not have it easy under G&H, but that is only up until he blew that league title chance in 2008. His handling of Alonso, his political wars with The Academy and other areas of the club, his signing of shite to stock up the squad, agreeing to bringing in players like Degen, Jovanovic, Vornonin, Josemi, Aquilani after he had done some good work in getting in the likes of Torres, Mascherano, Agger, Alonso.

I hate the fact that he undid all his god work in foul swoop.

I also think he will never learn from his mistakes because it will always be somebody else or something else that caused it.

I get the impression that some, not all, people believe he is bigger than the club.

I am leaving it at that.

Why is being named interim manager even brought into it Stu?

I've never seen anyone being named caretaker used that as an excuse before.

Its probably one of the worst excuses I've ever seen if I'm honest.

I know, I hate myself for biting again on a Rafa thread but this pointless thread riled me as the day went on and foolishly I have bitten. There was already a Rafa thread and I see no point in this one.

I am an argumentative fuck at times and this thread is like a red rag for me. Especially (rightly or wrongly) after the day I in work I have had.

I know this thread is not suggesting he is a secret agent. And I just get tired of it all. It does my head in that I always get caught up in it. But sometimes you see something you thin k"What the fuck" and you can't help but respond.

I personally don't see how Rafa having a moan about a job that he took knowing full well what the situation was, is relevant to Liverpool Football Club in anyway shape for form to be honest. Well another thread at the very least.

I get what he is trying to say, and every person with a bit of sense can see it is not all down to him the failure that they might not get 4th.

But what did he expect when he went there though Stu? Roses, Sugar Coated Chocolatey hearts and a bottle of wine? Every man and his dog knew a) it would end in tears and b) he would never be accepted by the Chelsea fans because he managed us.

I don't think he can take criticism, he is very thin skinned in my opinion and this is one of his flaws. I don't think he has many major flaws, just a few that are to the detriment of his true ability to be a top top coach.

I am not saying he is asking for sympathy. It is his adoring fans are the ones that believe he should be getting sympathy. it is never his fault though. He always has mitigating circumstances. he had the rug pulled from underneath him. So on and so forth. It is as bring now as it was when he was here.

All I see from those who believe he should not have gone, is a long list of excuses.

I think the meal ticket comment should aimed at his adoring crowd rather than him. As looking back it is those that are allowing him to dine out on it.

If Code would have started a "Rafa Moaning Again, When Will He Ever Learn: Here are 45 Eye Aids Statistical Points To Prove He Won't" He would have been jumped as quick as e a dirty street whore gobbling on a punters cock for a tenner.

One thread was enough.

Just so people know where I stand.

I thank him for 2005, one of the greatest nights of my life as a Liverpool fan.

I thank him for the FA Cup win in 2006.

I thank him for the great European nights we were given while he was here.

I respect he did not have it easy under G&H, but that is only up until he blew that league title chance in 2008. His handling of Alonso, his political wars with The Academy and other areas of the club, his signing of shite to stock up the squad, agreeing to bringing in players like Degen, Jovanovic, Vornonin, Josemi, Aquilani after he had done some good work in getting in the likes of Torres, Mascherano, Agger, Alonso.

I hate the fact that he undid all his god work in foul swoop.

I also think he will never learn from his mistakes because it will always be somebody else or something else that caused it.

I get the impression that some, not all, people believe he is bigger than the club.

I am leaving it at that.

Given the OP intentions when starting this thread I am honestly not sure if the above is written tongue in cheek or if it's serious? If the latter it honestly reads as a slightly unhealthy obsession desite it being a few years since the man left the club.

Given the OP intentions when starting this thread I am honestly not sure if the above is written tongue in cheek or if it's serious? If the latter it honestly reads as a slightly unhealthy obsession desite it being a few years since the man left the club.

What do you think the OP's intentions were Moo?

What do you think the OP's intentions were Moo?

To praise Rafa Benitez and perhaps wind a few people up in the process.

So for someone not only to rise to it, but write fully thought out and lengthy replies seems a bit well, odd I suppose.

You'd have to be mad to suggest otherwise.

"Move on" "He's gone, get over it", they say. Well, no. No thank you very much.

I, for one, would like nothing more than we change our name to Rafapool FC

Not a bad shout that.

My idea would be to have a Rafa Day. Once a week. Make it Tuesday or Wednesday. Champions League days.