You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Want to get rich and still surf the forum all day?

Jose Jones

Outsource your own job to China for a fraction of your pay.

Shame this guy got caught, what a leg.

WHEN a routine security check by a US-based company showed someone was repeatedly logging on to their computer system from China, it naturally sent alarm bells ringing. Hackers were suspected and telecoms experts were called in.

It was only after a thorough investigation that it was revealed that the culprit was not a hacker, but ‘‘Bob’’ (not his real name), an ‘‘inoffensive and quiet’’ family man and the company’s top-performing programmer, who could be seen toiling at his desk day after day and staring diligently at his monitor.

The company had begun to allow its software developers to occasionally work from home and so had set up ‘‘a fairly standard VPN [virtual private network] concentrator’’ to facilitate remote access.

When its IT security department started actively monitoring logs being generated at the VPN, ‘‘what they found startled and surprised them: an open and active VPN connection from Shenyang, China! As in, this connection was live when they discovered it’’ Mr Valentine wrote.

What was more, the developer whose credentials were being used was sitting at his desk in the office.

‘‘Plainly stated, the VPN logs showed him logged in from China, yet the employee is right there, sitting at his desk, staring into his monitor.’’

Verizon’s investigators discovered ‘‘almost daily connections from Shenyang, and occasionally these connections spanned the entire work day’’.

The employee, whom Mr Valentine calls Bob, was in his mid-40s, a ‘‘family man, inoffensive and quiet. Someone you wouldn’t look twice at in an elevator.’’

But an examination of his work station revealed hundreds of invoices from a third party contractor/developer in Shenyang.

‘‘As it turns out, Bob had simply outsourced his own job to a Chinese consulting firm. Bob spent less than one-fifth of his six-figure salary for a Chinese firm to do his job for him.’’

When the company checked his web-browsing history, a typical ‘‘work day’’ for Bob was: 9am, arrive and surf Reddit for a couple of hours, watch cat videos; 11.30am, take lunch; 1pm, eBay; 2pm-ish, Facebook updates, LinkedIn; 4.40pm, end of day, update email to management; 5pm, go home.

The evidence, said Mr Valentine, even suggested he had the same scam going across multiple companies in the area. ‘‘Quarter after quarter, his performance review noted him as the best developer in the building,’’ wrote Mr Valentine.

Bob no longer works for the company.

I've been outsourcing my posts on here ladies shoes best prices, belts, handbags, for a while now and to be honest, earn hundreds working from home, housewife discovers homo remedy for dazzling white teeth, I actually enjoy reading them now. Bob just took it lose pounds now , just a bit too far. Good on him though ! Free ipad.

If he was the best developer then the company should have done 1 of 2 things. Approached the little Chinese fella whose salary they could have doubled and still saved a fortune; or if Chinese man didn’t want to do that, just pat Bob on the back and tell him to get on with it as he was producing the results.

That really isn't true though is it. Surely that would be a nightmare to manage. In order to pretend to be doing the developing, he would have to be going to meetings and talking about what he is doing. I can't imagine a single software company just letting you sit there with no input in design meetings.

It sounds like Bob was actually a decent developer (since he got the job in the first place) but decided he could sacrifice some of his income in order to watch cat videos and browse 4chan all day. I like the cut of his jib.

I've actually worked with a contractor developer who couldn't program, in a previous job. He collected about £10k by the time the company realized and when he left, he just went to another company and did the same as contractors don't tend to need references.

Years ago, we took on a contractor web designer who must have collected about £15k on a 3 month contract. We quickly realized he'd just paid another company for a decent ASP and CSS template and gave us that.

Can't see what the problem is, he hasn't done anything that the companies he worked for are likely to be doing e.g. outsourcing work to India and China whilst charging their own customers the same amount as if they were doing the work locally and making a big fat profit. It doesn't appear that anyone has complained about the quality of work produced?

I've been outsourcing my posts on here ladies shoes best prices, belts, handbags, for a while now and to be honest, earn hundreds working from home, housewife discovers homo remedy for dazzling white teeth, I actually enjoy reading them now. Bob just took it lose pounds now , just a bit too far. Good on him though ! Free ipad.

I don't even want to know what this involves.

Can't see what the problem is, he hasn't done anything that the companies he worked for are likely to be doing e.g. outsourcing work to India and China whilst charging their own customers the same amount as if they were doing the work locally and making a big fat profit. It doesn't appear that anyone has complained about the quality of work produced?

That's capatilism for you.