You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

Yeah- very interesting and enlightening. I was too young then to know about it and I've grown up with (I hope) relatively informed opinions on this sort of thing, so it's interesting to see how this was treated 25 years ago.

The TV special where the 8 year old with HIV is crying to Magic was fucking heartbreaking.

Anyone watch Murder detectives part 1 of 3 on Channel 4 last night? Its excellent, it's a true life crime where the cameras follow the cops around as they try to find the killer. It's so well edited and put together it seems like a drama show. Looking forward to part 2 tonight.

Got onto this yesterday funnily enough, on 4 catch up, first episode. I thought they were acting but it was shot like a docu? Was really good.

Edit, just checked and It is a documentary, can't believe it, it's like a drama. I thought a couple of them were bad actors too.

Got onto this yesterday funnily enough, on 4 catch up, first episode. I thought they were acting but it was shot like a docu? Was really good.

Edit, just checked and It is a documentary, can't believe it, it's like a drama. I thought a couple of them were bad actors too.

Haha I was the same when I turned it on, I couldn't believe it was a documentary. Watched the 3 parts and it was excellent, brilliantly edited.

There's a Storyville on catchup now about the FBI tracking a home grown terrorist. I won't spoil it but this FBI isn't like its portrayed in any film I've seen.

It's well worth watching.

Yep, it was really interesting. The parallels between rooting out homegrown terrorists and the McCarthy witch hunts were frightening, the methods haven't changed all that much.

You realise the drug trade is the absolute polar opposite of the free market, yes?

The richest country in the world right next door to one of the poorest and doing its best to keep out those citizens of the poorest who want a better life. The ones who get through are then paid much less than its own citizens and treated like animals. Not sharing their wealth on to their neighbours to create prosperity there too. Hereby forcing dirt poor people into illegal activities fuelled by rich neighbour's appetite for illegal products. Sounds like good ol' capitalism to me,supply and demand too.

Serious question? It's an illicit market, it is about as unfree a market as you could possibly get.

The drug trade is more free than the free market:

In a free-market economy, prices for goods and services are set freely by the forces of supply and demand and are allowed to reach their point of equilibrium without intervention by government policy, and it typically entails support for highly competitive markets and private ownership of productive

No direct tax. Free markety.

• Upvote 1

Serious question? It's an illicit market, it is about as unfree a market as you could possibly get.

See what Dennis said.

That, plus competition between suppliers, low barriers to entry (compared to, say, our "free market" rail industry), etc.

As in all areas of the "free market" Government regulation (whether it's laws against drug supply or emission standards that a car manufacturer like VW has to meet) is just one of several factors to be taken into consideration into how you go about your business.  The ultimate aim of the free market - to make profit - is the same across the board.

The drug trade is more free than the free market:

In a free-market economy, prices for goods and services are set freely by the forces of supply and demand and are allowed to reach their point of equilibrium without intervention by government policy, and it typically entails support for highly competitive markets and private ownership of productive

No direct tax. Free markety.

No government intervention...well apart from it being, you know, illegal.

• Upvote 1

Yep, it was really interesting. The parallels between rooting out homegrown terrorists and the McCarthy witch hunts were frightening, the methods haven't changed all that much.

It was scary, the lack of control, strategy and even common sense in the FBI was scary. The bloke was a bit of a Walter Mitty and posted some hateful shit but he hadn't committed a crime.

No government intervention...well apart from it being, you know, illegal.

Haha, no government intervention, apart from the government outlawing it totally. But apart from jailing people who enter the market, it's totally free!

Dennis is honestly getting beyond parody now.