You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Can anyone link me to examples of stretches to use before running? There's tons out there but one someone has used personally would be great.

Doing couch to 5 k still and the5 minute warm up walk isn't cutting it with my shins anymore

Shins ain't to do with warming up, it's to do with your running style. Make sure you land on your heal, not the ball of your foot.

There are stretch that can help with the muscles round the shins.

Cant remember the ins and out but look up shin splint exercises. The one i vaguely remener wasnleaning against a fence/wall in a squat position and put your elbows on the inside of your knees and push them out. Youd need to look it up as its been a long time. The other thing worth doing is using deep heat or Namman linament/oil

Did C25K a few months ago and carried on running every other day until I was doing about 7.5k per run - slow as fuck (about 7 minutes per km) but I've been ill with chicken pox (not recommended!) and I'm absolutely shattered and really struggling to do 5k.

Also need some decent running shoes but too anti social to go and do all that gait analysis but realise I can't carry on with 15 year old knacked Reeboks.

Really annoyed with myself. Just did W8R1 of C25k (28 mins) and had to stop at 21 and walk rest of the way

First time I've ran in heat like today. Was completely unprepared, went out at hottest time of the day, didn't hydrate enough before and didn't take water with me. Absolutely stupid. Was doing good times for the first 3k and then boom. Mouth like Death Valley and couldn't go on.

Fuming with myself, won't make that mistake again. We go again on Wednesday

Just seen this.

The main thing is not to stress too much about it. You have done it and as you said, won't make that mistake again. Everyone makes mistakes but the good ones learn from them. 

Hopefully it went better today.

• Upvote 2

Just seen this.

The main thing is not to stress too much about it. You have done it and as you said, won't make that mistake again. Everyone makes mistakes but the good ones learn from them. 

You beat me to it, Scoobs.

No big deal, Paulie. Maybe it was going to be 'one of those days' anyway. To be honest, at that kind of distance I dont think your performance should have been too affected by hydration levels but it does feel very different running in heat and just takes a bit of getting your head round it.

Enjoy the freedom of not having to layer up to go out

• Upvote 1

Just seen this.

You beat me to it, Scoobs.

No big deal, Paulie. Maybe it was going to be 'one of those days' anyway. To be honest, at that kind of distance I dont think your performance should have been too affected by hydration levels but it does feel very different running in heat and just takes a bit of getting your head round it.

Enjoy the freedom of not having to layer up to go out

Did it again last night with Pony Princes at a leisurely pace in the cooler evening and it was fine.  Covered 4.5k in 28 mins which is astounding considering the state of me when I started C25K.

• 3 weeks later...

Me and Pony Princess did the 5k in town today. Times out tomorrow but think around 30 minutes. Considering I only started running 10 weeks ago I'm made up

4d4c22bceddfe632d450eb07239fbf42.jpg

Well done.

However I'm slightly let down that PP didn't do it in bondage gear and Doc Martins.

Did the Sefton park, Southport and Mo Running 10k last year. Best time I got was 54.10 in the Southport race. Wanted to do more this year but got a knee injury in January. The tunnel 10k is on in 3 weeks but I doubt I'll be a struggle to get fit in time as my knee has only recently healed. If I did I'd probably get a shit time.

• 3 weeks later...

It's horrendous. Didn't realise til I lathered myself up with Lidl shower gel.

Yikes.

How far did you run??? What were you wearing? So many questions...

I would share my own chafing stories but I'm sure you understand