You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Watching London at the moment. 

I have run London twice and not really enjoyed it either time, due to mental stress rather than the event itself, it seems a lot better on the television. It makes we want to do it again. 

Frustration is probably also playing apart, I am currently recovering from yet another injury. No run today due to a new groin niggle, that arrived yesterday after walking around town for a couple of hours. 

It does remind me of all the times I was younger and said I would love to run London, but was much too fat and lazy. Whilst I am still fat and lazy it is possible for anyone to run London or any other marathon. 

I have run London twice and not really enjoyed it either time, due to mental stress rather than the event itself, it seems a lot better on the television. It makes we want to do it again.

Frustration is probably also playing apart, I am currently recovering from yet another injury. No run today due to a new groin niggle, that arrived yesterday after walking around town for a couple of hours.

It does remind me of all the times I was younger and said I would love to run London, but was much too fat and lazy. Whilst I am still fat and lazy it is possible for anyone to run London or any other marathon.

A mate of mine has just done it, she's 43 and did 3:32. Fucking machine.

It does remind me of all the times I was younger and said I would love to run London, but was much too fat and lazy. Whilst I am still fat and lazy I have run London twice and thus it is possible for anyone to run London or any other marathon.

That is why I like running so much, anyone of any ability can take it up and ultimately with enough time and training it is possible for anyone to complete and enjoy a marathon.  

Re reading my post it comes across quite negative, whereas I was being positive about the way London can inspire people. 

I have edited my post.

A mate of mine has just done it, she's 43 and did 3:32. Fucking machine.

Great time, one of the reasons I enjoy running, is apart from the pointy end, when you run you are competing against yourself, especially in distance running. Someone could run 3:32 and be down about the time, whereas someone could run 3:32 and be delighted.

I hope your mate enjoyed the race, it was relatively evenly paced and went as planned.

Great time, one of the reasons I enjoy running, is apart from the pointy end, when you run you are competing against yourself, especially in distance running. Someone could run 3:32 and be down about the time, whereas someone could run 3:32 and be delighted.

I hope your mate enjoyed the race, it was relatively evenly paced and went as planned.

Cheers. She's had a tough year with failed IVF so was down and used the training to get back some confidence. She was hoping for a 'best for age' which means she gets a guaranteed place next year.

So right - one of her running mates was in for sub 3 hours but picked up an injury at mile 17 - so he settled for 3.22.

Re reading my post it comes across quite negative, whereas I was being positive about the way London can inspire people.

I have edited my post.

My mate did it a few years back and said he was done for at 21 miles then when he got to embankment the last stretch the people cheering him on pretty much carried him the last few miles. Tears in his eyes when he was telling me. Inspiring stuff that just proves what a bit of encouragement can do for people. Fair play to anyone who does it. Even the giant worm.

Cheers. She's had a tough year with failed IVF so was down and used the training to get back some confidence. She was hoping for a 'best for age' which means she gets a guaranteed place next year 

The buzz from completing a marathon that has gone to plan is amazing. 

Unless they change the criteria she has comfortably qualified;

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

Good For Age Entry

If you've already run a full marathon in a particularly fast time, you might qualify for an automatic 'good for age' entry into the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon.

Do I qualify?

You were able to apply for a 'good for age' entry if you had run a full marathon in the same time, or faster than, the times listed below since the 1st January 2014:

Men Time (in hours)                                  Women Time (in hours)

Age 18-40                                  sub 3:05               Age 18-40                       sub 3:45

Age 41-49                                  sub 3:15               Age 41-49                       sub 3:50  

Age 50-59                                  sub 3:20               Age 50-59                       sub 4:00

Age 60-64                                  sub 3:45               Age 60-64                       sub 4:30

Age 65-69                                  sub 4:00               Age 65-69                       sub 5:00

Age 70-75                                  sub 5:00                Age 70-75                      sub 6:00

76+                                     sub 5:30                        76+                          sub 6.30

Qualifying times for the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon are subject to change.

When they have changed the times in the past, the most they have done is round it down to the lower age category, thus worst case should be they bring it down to 3:45.  

• Upvote 1

The buzz from completing a marathon that has gone to plan is amazing. 

Unless they change the criteria she has comfortably qualified;

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

Good For Age Entry

If you've already run a full marathon in a particularly fast time, you might qualify for an automatic 'good for age' entry into the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon.

Do I qualify?

You were able to apply for a 'good for age' entry if you had run a full marathon in the same time, or faster than, the times listed below since the 1st January 2014:

Men Time (in hours)                                  Women Time (in hours)

Age 18-40                                  sub 3:05               Age 18-40                       sub 3:45

Age 41-49                                  sub 3:15               Age 41-49                       sub 3:50  

Age 50-59                                  sub 3:20               Age 50-59                       sub 4:00

Age 60-64                                  sub 3:45               Age 60-64                       sub 4:30

Age 65-69                                  sub 4:00               Age 65-69                       sub 5:00

Age 70-75                                  sub 5:00                Age 70-75                      sub 6:00

76+                                     sub 5:30                        76+                          sub 6.30

Qualifying times for the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon are subject to change.

When they have changed the times in the past, the most they have done is round it down to the lower age category, thus worst case should be they bring it down to 3:45.

Cheers mate, she'll be over the moon.

That is nuts. That is 3:20 km pace x 42.2

Do you know how many miles a week he runs?

He was around 80 miles usually, and I think he might have bumped up to 100 miles for a few weeks. Like I said, he's extremely talented. He did a session a few weeks back: 3 x 5k (all below 15:30, last one in 15:11) with one minute recovery job at 6:00 minute mile pace.

He has also broken the national 50k record a few times and I've helped pace him for two of them. One of them was the fastest time in the world for two years and he went on to finish 5th in the world championships, He broke it again a few months back and ran 2:56:51-that's 3:32 a km for 50km.

• Upvote 2

He was around 80 miles usually, and I think he might have bumped up to 100 miles for a few weeks. Like I said, he's extremely talented. He did a session a few weeks back: 3 x 5k (all below 15:30, last one in 15:11) with one minute recovery job at 6:00 minute mile pace.

He has also broken the national 50k record a few times and I've helped pace him for two of them. One of them was the fastest time in the world for two years and he went on to finish 5th in the world championships, He broke it again a few months back and ran 2:56:51-that's 3:32 a km for 50km.

Forgive my ignorance mate, you've probably said earlier in the thread but it sounds like you're a serious runner. What is your best marathon time?

(I'm not fishing here, I couldn't imagine doing 26 miles)

Forgive my ignorance mate, you've probably said earlier in the thread but it sounds like you're a serious runner. What is your best marathon time?

(I'm not fishing here, I couldn't imagine doing 26 miles)

I haven't run a marathon yet, but I've done a few halfs and I mostly stick to 5 and 10ks. 

Half-marathon- 1:10:52

10km- 31:34

5km- 15:01 (that was really gutting, still looking for the sub 15:00).

I haven't run a marathon yet, but I've done a few halfs and I mostly stick to 5 and 10ks. 

Fuck me that's brilliant, are you part greyhound?

Are you able to provide advice? I'm struggling to get pace back, any tips?

Fuck me that's brilliant, are you part greyhound?

Are you able to provide advice? I'm struggling to get pace back, any tips?

Ha, I haven't trained in a month because of sore calves and college work, so I'm more retired fat fucker at the moment. I'm not overly talented, but I trained hard and can gut it out in races.

Pace? Like pure sprinting speed? I'd say do some Flying 40s and incorporating form drills into your warm up will help.

Flying 40s- setting a 40 metre zone where you sprint all out, give yourself a 20 metre lead in where you increase the pace and another after to let yourself decelerate and get loads of recovery like 2 or 3 mins or maybe even more to let your alactic system recover.

Form drills- things like high knees, butt flicks, etc. They are a great warm up and really held with your form and running economy I find. http://running.competitor.com/2014/05/training/essential-drills-for-speed-and-efficiency_58730

As for general endurance, time on the feet and consistency are the best for getting back into. Rather than run one big massive run and then leaving it for the rest of the week, break it up into smaller parts that your body can manage. Build an aerobic base with slow and steady running and then when they become comfortable, build in things like tempo sessions and intervals if you're looking to improve performance.

Things like stretching, massage (if you can afford, personally I'm too broke at the moment), leaving your legs up against the wall above your heart to drain the blood from the muscle for a minute, putting cold water on the muscles- I find these are all good for avoiding niggles and injuries, if you can be bother to do them that is. I can very lazy when it comes to maintaining my body that way.

• Upvote 2

Ha, I haven't trained in a month because of sore calves and college work, so I'm more retired fat fucker at the moment. I'm not overly talented, but I trained hard and can gut it out in races.

Pace? Like pure sprinting speed? I'd say do some Flying 40s and incorporating form drills into your warm up will help.

Flying 40s- setting a 40 metre zone where you sprint all out, give yourself a 20 metre lead in where you increase the pace and another after to let yourself decelerate and get loads of recovery like 2 or 3 mins or maybe even more to let your alactic system recover.

Form drills- things like high knees, butt flicks, etc. They are a great warm up and really held with your form and running economy I find. http://running.competitor.com/2014/05/training/essential-drills-for-speed-and-efficiency_58730

As for general endurance, time on the feet and consistency are the best for getting back into. Rather than run one big massive run and then leaving it for the rest of the week, break it up into smaller parts that your body can manage. Build an aerobic base with slow and steady running and then when they become comfortable, build in things like tempo sessions and intervals if you're looking to improve performance.

Things like stretching, massage (if you can afford, personally I'm too broke at the moment), leaving your legs up against the wall above your heart to drain the blood from the muscle for a minute, putting cold water on the muscles- I find these are all good for avoiding niggles and injuries, if you can be bother to do them that is. I can very lazy when it comes to maintaining my body that way.

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

That is indeed stupidly fast. You must have put a lot of hard work into it to get those times. 

I detest fast running of any kind and would much rather run for 2 hours than attempt a 5km flat out.

I also agree about stretching being massively important. I would easily spend a few hours running but couldn't find the time to spend 15 mins post run. I always had niggles and basically the physio would sort them out and tell me some stretching routines. I would stretch for a while and all would be fine, then I would stop and the niggles would come back. I now stretch after every run and made it a part of my running routine.  

Can anyone link me to examples of stretches to use before running? There's tons out there but one someone has used personally would be great.

Doing couch to 5 k still and the5 minute warm up walk isn't cutting it with my shins anymore

These are pretty much the ones that I use. Try form drills like high knees, butt kicks, etc in your warm up to get blooding flowing and improve your running form too.

tumblr_nmpilbmedc1s2cmkto1_500.jpg

That is indeed stupidly fast. You must have put a lot of hard work into it to get those times. 

I detest fast running of any kind and would much rather run for 2 hours than attempt a 5km flat out.

I also agree about stretching being massively important. I would easily spend a few hours running but couldn't find the time to spend 15 mins post run. I always had niggles and basically the physio would sort them out and tell me some stretching routines. I would stretch for a while and all would be fine, then I would stop and the niggles would come back. I now stretch after every run and made it a part of my running routine.  

At my absolute training peak back in 2013, I was running 75 miles a week with three hard sessions. But the third hard session made me completely overtrained and I bombed in the later races in the cross-country seasons. Last Summer when I ran that 10k time, I was a bit more laid back with around 40 miles a week but with two hard sessions and a long run on a Sunday. I just did my first run in over a month this evening and I felt pretty good, so hopefully my niggles can stay away and I can start getting into decent shape again.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Really annoyed with myself. Just did W8R1 of C25k (28 mins) and had to stop at 21 and walk rest of the way

First time I've ran in heat like today. Was completely unprepared, went out at hottest time of the day, didn't hydrate enough before and didn't take water with me. Absolutely stupid. Was doing good times for the first 3k and then boom. Mouth like Death Valley and couldn't go on.

Fuming with myself, won't make that mistake again. We go again on Wednesday