You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yeah, we weren't far away from two fucking dull dead rubbers.

I wonder if learning how to catch can have more impact than inevitably not getting the best of the conditions in every single session. We've had absurd luck on that front in the first three games.

Surprised Bairstow never dropped the protestor to be honest.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Defending 220 and there are fielders on the fence ala overs 20-35 of an ODI. Strange. And a bit like England, the bowling to the tail was just bizarre. What's wrong with bowling normally to a normal field? 

You wonder if this is why batsmen are usually captains- not running themselves into the ground while trying to make decisions on bowling changes, tactics etc. 

43 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Weather favoured us last night this series could and probably should have already been won by England. Get Foakes in and Crawley and Bairstow out please.

Foakes for Bairstow is a straight swap. If no3 is now a problem position then maybe Dan Lawrence in. As for openers - any Lancs fans know how Josh Bohannon is doing/ would he be able to step up to test cricket? Tom Haines seems out of form this season, but Rob Yates is consistent.

34 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Foakes for Bairstow is a straight swap. If no3 is now a problem position then maybe Dan Lawrence in. As for openers - any Lancs fans know how Josh Bohannon is doing/ would he be able to step up to test cricket? Tom Haines seems out of form this season, but Rob Yates is consistent.

It’s a difficult one, they will probably go with someone like Lawrence, Foakes can open can’t he?

19 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

It’s a difficult one, they will probably go with someone like Lawrence, Foakes can open can’t he?

I was thinking that Foakes could possibly go in at no.3, as he doesn't sell his wicket cheaply. He has also got a better test average than Lawrence - and better than Crawley, actually!

He's probably not Bazball enough for the cool kids though.

17 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Australia were not going to win 3 tight ones in a row.

The margins between these two sides are nowhere near 0-3.

As I said after the previous Test, I think Eng can win 3-2.

And I still think that.

They've by far used up less luck so far...

Just that wee bit of Manchester weather to contend with!

49 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

I was thinking that Foakes could possibly go in at no.3, as he doesn't sell his wicket cheaply. He has also got a better test average than Lawrence - and better than Crawley, actually!

He's probably not Bazball enough for the cool kids though.

He only averages slightly less than Bairstow, they will probably open with Dropsy and have Foakes keep. We need Stokes, Woakes and Foakes in for the word play.

I don't have same hatred for Ingerlund cricket as i do footy - but what is about Ingerlund fans that makes them just so twattish when winning....

Just watching highlights of today on sky and the crowd are doing my head in - the ironic jeering whenever aussies miss a catch etc - the OTT reactions to anything half good from Ingerlund, the "woooooooooaaaah you're shit ahhhhh stuff' when bowlers running in, the "barmy army" chants blah blah blah and just the twattish atmosphere generally.

Actually makes me want the aussies to win, even though i know the result!

16 minutes ago, an tha said:

I don't have same hatred for Ingerlund cricket as i do footy - but what is about Ingerlund fans that makes them just so twattish when winning....

Just watching highlights of today on sky and the crowd are doing my head in - the ironic jeering whenever aussies miss a catch etc - the OTT reactions to anything half good from Ingerlund, the "woooooooooaaaah you're shit ahhhhh stuff' when bowlers running in, the "barmy army" chants blah blah blah and just the twattish atmosphere generally.

Youve seen Aussie fans right? 

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

Don't come across as twattish to me as your average Ingerlund fan.

The worst Aussie fans are probably worse than England fans. More overtly offensive. But they don't have the same "aren't we dead funny" vibe while sounding like League Two fans at home to a Premier League side in the FA Cup. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, an tha said:

It’s just the way English sports “fan culture” is now. 

The boxing is totally shite now, as well. Even ten years ago it was a great night out. Now it’s just knobhead central. 

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The worst Aussie fans are probably worse than England fans. More overtly offensive. But they don't have the same "aren't we dead funny" vibe while sounding like League Two fans at home to a Premier League side in the FA Cup

That probably nails it - i just hate the ingerlund fan culture.

Passion, hostility etc is fine...look at anfield ona  big european night....but there is just a twattish element about ingerlish support IMO - as you describe

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s just the way English sports “fan culture” is now. 

The boxing is totally shite now. Even ten years ago it was a great night out. Now it’s just knobhead central. 

Yeah it can get to fuck...all the sweet caroline shite etc.

Darts is another one - all the please don't take mw home shite....yaya/kolo etc....

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I alluded to that sheeeeet earlier in the thread. Not noticed the footy style chants until recently. I fucking hate it. 

16 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I alluded to that sheeeeet earlier in the thread. Not noticed the footy style chants until recently. I fucking hate it. 

Away from Lords and to a lesser extent The Oval it has been way for a good while.

The punters in "The Hollies" at Edgbaston and Western Terrace at Headingley for example are very much the same God Save The Twat in a Silly Hat sort you will find at Villa/Leeds games and Ingerlund games.

I despise it and as someone nailed perfectly above - it is the small time mentallity too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Australia were not going to win 3 tight ones in a row.

The margins between these two sides are nowhere near 0-3.

As I said after the previous Test, I think Eng can win 3-2.

And I still think that.

They've by far used up less luck so far...

England could come back, win 3-2, with a 500 run chase in the final innings, and almost everyone in here would be calling all the players shit or cunts, and complaining about how it would have been 5-0 if they hadn’t chucked wickets away with stupid shots.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

England could come back, win 3-2, with a 500 run chase in the final innings, and almost everyone in here would be calling all the players shit or cunts, and complaining about how it would have been 5-0 if they hadn’t chucked wickets away with stupid shots.

...and quite right, too.

• Upvote 1

Relieved that we managed to get over the line in this one. We've definitely had the better of the conditions overall but there have been times where the Aussies have had good conditions. That 20 minute spell they had on Day 3 at Edgbaston where it was hooping all over and they got wickets was massive in a tight game.

I have no idea what team to expect for the 4th test. I do know that I want Foakes back in with the gloves though and I wouldn't be going anywhere near Ollie Robinson for the rest of the series. Might be time to give Broad a rest and go with Anderson, Woakes, Tongue and Wood? Old Trafford is usually a bit quicker and bouncier than the other venues.