You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

This all puts the Marsh innings into context, simply magnificent from the little I saw.

I just woke from a few hours sleep. What the fuck is going on?? I've never been Marsh's biggest fan, but that's a fucking great effort. These conditions suit him down to the ground though- fast and bouncy is what he loves. 

This series is nuts. 

6 minutes ago, A_S said:

I just woke from a few hours sleep. What the fuck is going on?? I've never been Marsh's biggest fan, but that's a fucking great effort. These conditions suit him down to the ground though- fast and bouncy is what he loves. 

This series is nuts. 

It's been ebb and flow on steroids. Marsh just went full bazball at the England attack. Dropped on 12 though

It's difficult with Root. On the one hand, Smith, Kohli, Azam, and Williamson all bat at four, and they're probably the other four of the best five batsmen in the world. Also, why move the one guy that's really good. Why risk unsettling the one great batsman in the team.

However...there isn't anyone else remotely capable of doing it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Thought Marsh would go well. Playing with the freedom that he plays with in 50 over games.

An inspired (or dead lucky) selection given the 50-over way this Series is being played.

Marsh has only played 4 first-class games since his last Test century against England in 2019.

Botham, Stokes, Marsh - Headingley: the all-rounder's batting paradise.

Nicely set up for Root to stamp his class tomorrow - and my usual pet prediction... a 60-bal Bairstow ton.

50 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

An inspired (or dead lucky) selection given the 50-over way this Series is being played.

Marsh has only played 4 first-class games since his last Test century against England in 2019.

Nicely set up for Root to stamp his class tomorrow - and my usual pet prediction... a 60-bal Bairstow ton.

My prediction -

Bairstow out in the first five overs of the day. 

Root to get 50, as will Woakes. Aussies to have a lead of 20/25.

3 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Catches win matches they say and Root dropping Marsh on 12 was huge in terms of Australia’s score. Duckett with an outrageously dumb shot too , possibly only matched by Warner.

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Catches win matches they say and Root dropping Marsh on 12 was huge in terms of Australia’s score. Duckett with an outrageously dumb shot too , possibly only matched by Warner.

Root used to be a decent slip, you can see the nervousness having Bairstow keeping spreads through the side.

To see the raw pace of Wood and raw power of Marsh to such devastating effect in the same day's play was pretty awesome. 

Fantastic pitch too, which certainly helped the aforementioned players perform so well.

West Indies are bloody terrible, not going to the world cup this year after getting battered by Scotland(7 wickets/39 balls to spare). 

Now 4 down for 62 against Sri Lanka who have another Malinga esq chucker in  Pathirana

39 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

West Indies are bloody terrible, not going to the world cup this year after getting battered by Scotland(7 wickets/39 balls to spare). 

Now 4 down for 62 against Sri Lanka who have another Malinga esq chucker in  Pathirana

Five down now. They've been abysmal in this tournament (a good tournament, by the way).

Zimbabwe chucked away the second position really, they were great until the last couple of games.

8 hours ago, CapeRed said:

I'm not a Marsh fan, and yes, catches do win matches.

It was a good innings just the same.

As far as I know, we're allowed to give credit where credit is due when a bat takes advantage of a chance.

Dropping Viv Richards early, when I was a kid, used to always depressingly portend doom.  

And sure enough, that's how it mostly turned out.

Should be a great day today, and hopefully, I'll catch a bit of it later... but the mighty Bulldogs vs Pies takes priority for the evening proper... at least until half-time.

8 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

I'm not a Marsh fan, and yes, catches do win matches.

It was a good innings just the same.

As far as I know, we're allowed to give credit where credit is due when a bat takes advantage of a chance.

Dropping Viv Richards early, when I was a kid, used to always depressingly portend doom.  

And sure enough, that's how it mostly turned out.

Should be a great day today, and hopefully, I'll catch a bit of it later... but the mighty Bulldogs vs Pies takes priority for the evening proper... at least until half-time.

You dropped Viv Richards? You twat! 

• Haha 1

We’ve dropped way too many, they’ve barely failed to catch any. 

Stating the obvious, but that’s the main reason we’re 0-2 down, possibly heading towards 0-3.

Proper ruined my morning, that early wicket. Especially with it being Root at Headingley.