You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

16 hours ago, Preston Red said:

That might be my shit memory and having to look up his figures (51.06avg)...

Yeah, he was a middle order. My mistake. I just remember him and his brother being a fucking nightmare to shift. A bit like Michael Hussey.

Absolutely. My vague memories of the 89 Ashes were of him rarely getting out, Border being ruthless and Terry Alderman getting five wickets in near enough every innings.

3 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Absolutely. My vague memories of the 89 Ashes were of him rarely getting out, Border being ruthless and Terry Alderman getting five wickets in near enough every innings.

Must admit, I got into cricket around 92-93 so missed those beatings but watched the hammerings of the 90's with no hope in sight. They were a totally ruthless machine.

Your pick of McGrath is absolutely spot on too, loved watching him destroy batsmen with frightening accuracy. I think Michael Atherton is still in his back pocket now. My old fella told me a story about some of the lads from BAE who used to save up their holidays and go to the winter Ashes series. They had this thing about shouting "till-dipper" at McGrath because of an alleged story of him getting caught nicking money from a bank he worked at. Never found any evidence of this though.

4 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Must admit, I got into cricket around 92-93 so missed those beatings but watched the hammerings of the 90's with no hope in sight. They were a totally ruthless machine.

Your pick of McGrath is absolutely spot on too, loved watching him destroy batsmen with frightening accuracy. I think Michael Atherton is still in his back pocket now. My old fella told me a story about some of the lads from BAE who used to save up their holidays and go to the winter Ashes series. They had this thing about shouting "till-dipper" at McGrath because of an alleged story of him getting caught nicking money from a bank he worked at. Never found any evidence of this though.

I think that is why the 05 Ashes still resonates so much, not only was it a fantastic, entertaining series from start to finish, but it had been so long not only not winning, but being destroyed by Australia in every series. To beat a side with the likes of Warne, Lee, Mcgrath, Gilchrist, Ponting, Hayden, Clarke and Langer in it was some feat. 

I also used to hate McGrath with his endless chirping about "we'll destroy the Poms 5-0" before every series. Another reason why 05 was so sweet. The most ridiculously consistent bowler ever though, surely.

13 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I think that is why the 05 Ashes still resonates so much, not only was it a fantastic, entertaining series from start to finish, but it had been so long not only not winning, but being destroyed by Australia in every series. To beat a side with the likes of Warne, Lee, Mcgrath, Gilchrist, Ponting, Hayden, Clarke and Langer in it was some feat. 

I also used to hate McGrath with his endless chirping about "we'll destroy the Poms 5-0" before every series. Another reason why 05 was so sweet. The most ridiculously consistent bowler ever though, surely.

100%. The best cricket series I've ever watched. 2nd Test's conclusion was out of this world and the 3rd Test had the drama too.

1 minute ago, Preston Red said:

100%. The best cricket series I've ever watched. 2nd Test's conclusion was out of this world and the 3rd Test had the drama too.

There were definitely more than a few moments when i feared for the outcome of the 4th and 5th tests too. The 4th when England were  50-odd for 4 in the final innings and in the 5th when Warne dropped Pietersen. 

Absolute drama. 

1 minute ago, Total Longo said:

There were definitely more than a few moments when i feared for the outcome of the 4th and 5th tests too. The 4th when England were  50-odd for 4 in the final innings and in the 5th when Warne dropped Pietersen. 

Absolute drama. 

Christ, I'd forgotten about that dropped catch. Pietersen was the calm, assured head that England needed. He backed himself, got lucky and punished Australia after being done in the first innings.

What's the best match you've ever seen in all formats? For me it's the 2019 CWC Final. Total rollercoaster.

27 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Christ, I'd forgotten about that dropped catch. Pietersen was the calm, assured head that England needed. He backed himself, got lucky and punished Australia after being done in the first innings.

What's the best match you've ever seen in all formats? For me it's the 2019 CWC Final. Total rollercoaster.

I recall a one dayer about 15 years ago between Australia and South Africa where both sides broke the record for an ODI in the same game, it was just ridiculous, both got well over 400. Herschelle Gibbs scored one of the most brutal innings i've ever seen. 

So that wins in terms of sheer quality, but the WC final in 2019 trumps it in terms of drama.    

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Difficult to leave out the two Pakistanis Anwar and Akram, but felt their peaks were just before my time.

Akram  has to be in.  he (I think) was the developer of reverse swing . Batsmen hadn't a clue. The production line of bowlers from Waquar to present day with his teaching has been unbelievable. Superstar.

I’ll go:

Hayden 

Greenwich

Lara

Richards

Ponting

Kallis

Gilchrist

Wasim

Warne

Marshall

McGrath

I hated both Matt Hayden and Ricky Ponting, but it was mainly down to fear of the arrogant bastards. Never hated Sachin, so he misses out, even though it’s favourite test team… maybe I haven’t thought this through…

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Akram  has to be in.  he (I think) was the developer of reverse swing . Batsmen hadn't a clue. The production line of bowlers from Waquar to present day with his teaching has been unbelievable. Superstar.

Yes, but his test debut was before I was even born. He was still an excellent bowler even up until the early 2000s, but his peak was probably a decade earlier. I don't think I can pick a player who was at their peak when I was about seven.

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I’ll go:

Hayden 

Greenwich

Lara

Richards

Ponting

Kallis

Gilchrist

Wasim

Warne

Marshall

McGrath

I hated both Matt Hayden and Ricky Ponting, but it was mainly down to fear of the arrogant bastards. Never hated Sachin, so he misses out, even though it’s favourite test team… maybe I haven’t thought this through…

Interesting ploy opening the batting with a time zone, mate.

• Upvote 1