You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mitchell is out for 5 months mate.

That Pattinson fella is excellent. England picked the wrong brother in 09!

If Pattinson and Cummins continue something remotely like their first couple of tests, Siddle stays as the consistent workhorse and Ryan Harris can stay fit for more than 5 days in a row, I'm struggling to see where Mitchell fits in anymore. Especially since Starc is a tall left quickie who can actually swing it into the batsman, unlike his frustrating namesake.

With Lyon coming along nicely as the spinner, we could well be looking at the bowling attack that attempts to reclaim the ashes.

Now to figure out the batting....Phil Hughes, sort it out son

If Pattinson and Cummins continue something remotely like their first couple of tests, Siddle stays as the consistent workhorse and Ryan Harris can stay fit for more than 5 days in a row, I'm struggling to see where Mitchell fits in anymore. Especially since Starc is a tall left quickie who can actually swing it into the batsman, unlike his frustrating namesake.

With Lyon coming along nicely as the spinner, we could well be looking at the bowling attack that attempts to reclaim the ashes.

Now to figure out the batting....Phil Hughes, sort it out son

You havent figured out this batting lark yet either.

58-5.

It makes a change from both sides getting 400+ I suppose.

Australia could have the best bowling line up in the world (which they don't, both England and South Africa are far superior), but if they continue to go after the bowling like they are 300 ahead from the start they are going to continue losing test matches. How many chances is Phil Hughes going to get? Is Brad Haddin the worst decision maker in cricket? Anyway, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of cunts, nothing pleases me more than Punter walking off looking agrieved.

Australia could have the best bowling line up in the world (which they don't, both England and South Africa are far superior), but if they continue to go after the bowling like they are 300 ahead from the start they are going to continue losing test matches. How many chances is Phil Hughes going to get? Is Brad Haddin the worst decision maker in cricket? Anyway, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of cunts, nothing pleases me more than Punter walking off looking agrieved.

Phil Hughes needs to be dropped immediately and Brad Haddin is a fucking joke. Shows zero respect to his team or the game by his reckless batting. You are right too, the arrogance in the batting line up right now is staggering. Far from good enough for Test cricket and especially in bowler-friendly conditions like in Hobart for this game.

As for Ponting, take a good look at his aggrieved face then VV, as I think that was it for him in a baggy green cap. Been a shit week for Punter. Twice failing with the bat to terrible shots on his home ground, during which his grandmother passed away. It'll be sad if he does finish up this way, but I'm struggling to see how he'll survive this. Thanks for all the great innings, Ricky.

And he's not the only one to face the axe. Absolutely disgraceful batting performance again (fantastic effort by Dave Warner aside), just no price being put on wickets combined with utter cluelessness to handling the swinging ball. Serious fucking questions need to be asked and hard calls made immediately about this batting group.

Good stuff from the bowlers though, the future seems far brighter for them, though as usual there'll be more changes to the bowlers than batsmen for the Boxing Day Test.

Kudos to a Vettori-less Kiwi outfit though. Strange call in a way, as NZ would NEVER drop DV, but him missing through injury probably helped them as it brought in a young seamer and the conditions suited. Bowled well too, Trent Boult. Bracewell too.

• 2 weeks later...
Australia all out for 333. Be interesting to see how India do, the conditions look good for batting.

I get Melbourne's weather about an hour after normally and Christmas day was a day-long stork of thunder, lightning and rain, never seen one persist like that for such a long period. So the pitch had a bit in it but batting was still ok the following day. Today has been nice and sunny so it should be great for batting for at least today and tomorrow.

Still, you can't drop Sehwag 3 times (so far) and get away with it. As I typed this he just got bowled by Pattinson! Tendulkar in, game on.

Dravid and Tendulkar batting together now. Between them they've played nearly 350 Tests, scored over 28,000 runs and made nearly 90 centuries. And both have as good, if not better, batting averages away from India.

Ridiculous numbers those.