You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hot tubs

Remmie

Anyone got one?

It all started with the idea of hiring one for my 30th for about £150 for a weekend. I'll have a big party, so I need one that has a capacity of 5-6 people.

That was all fine until I saw this on hotdeals: HotUKDeals - Bubble Spa Pool - Was £400 Now £200 @ Tesco

Which fits 2 adult 2 children (ergo 2 adults) and now I have started thinking about getting one to keep. Ebay has a few interesting ones like this: Lay-Z-Spa Premium Series 3 Inflatable Hot Tub RRP £399 on eBay (end time 12-Aug-10 19:10:56 BST)

Obviously there are a lot of considerations like what chemicals, filters, covers etc to use and how much they cost to warm up. I am clearly looking at the low end of hot tubbing here, is it worth bothering with? It's got to stay warm for at least 2-3 hours, I read somewhere that a lot of them go cold after 10 minutes.

Anyone got any advice/experience with them?

No experience of hot tubs but we have one of the big round pools that have to be treated like a swimming pool. Keeping up with the chemicals can be hard at times but well worth it. As for heating it you could look into using solar heating if you have the space for the pipework. Much cheaper and they get them hotter than hte small heaters do. If it's well insulated it should stay hot most of the night but could be worth looking into having an electic heater to keep it going when your using it. If you do get one DON'T USE BUBBLE BATH. The parents of one of my ex's had one and she decided it would be good to use some nice bubble bath. It took us the whole of the next day to clean up the mess and had to rinse the system through 4 times to get it to stop being a giant bubble machine. You could look at doing a saline system which is a lot less upkeep than the chlorine systems and cheaper as they use salt and convert it into chlorine but when it is used it turns back into salt so no topping up with salt apart from spilled water topups.

Not sure I would go for a blow up one though.

Stoner, you have said a load of sciencey stuff there that has confused me deeply, but I like the sound of it. I got a pretty large garden with not a lot going on in it so tell me about your set up? How do you insulate it?

As long as you have a good multi layer cover it will keep alot of the heat in when your not using it. The solar heating is done with alot of black pipe layed out over sunny ground and pumping the water through it during the day and not at night. The faster you pump the water the less heat you get out the other end. You will have to check the max temp on the thing as the pools are only 30C. If your looking at getting one to keep then you might be better looking for a second have fibreglass unit which will also take higher temps and have better covers and insulation on them.

Or you could go up a grade on the inflatable tubs with this one.

MSPA M SPA PORTABLE BUBBLE INFLATABLE HOT TUB JACUZZI on eBay (end time 08-Aug-10 10:51:58 BST)

As you can see alot more insulation on the top to keep the heat in.

Have a mooch on ebay.

Don't get one. I have one. Waste of money.

Hire one for your party if you can (I was going to suggest it at the time, but I think someone said it already), but don't buy one. Big under-utilised, money-sucking box stuck in the garden that sounds great when you say, "Yes, I've got a hot tub in my back garden..."

It's one of those ideas that sounds great. The reality is something else.

Well, that's my view anyway. I would advise anyone not to bother.

We bought one, less than a year old, was supposed to be part of the house sale we bought. Now 1 1/2 years later, we are still waiting for the courtcase to get it and it is atleast a year off still. Irish judiciary system is a joke beyond belief.

• 5 years later...

Well finally got one for the wife as a wedding present, found an absolute bargain on gumtree - the Lay-z-spa Vegas inflatable hot tub, second hand for £175. They retail at £380-£500 elsewhere, so as I say, got a stonking deal as everything seems to work well. Didn't come with an instruction manual, so learnt a few things the hard way, but now just getting used to the chemical usage and the like. This is what it looks like:

BW54112-2014-layzspa-vegas-friends-in-ho

Just a few goes so far and we absolutely love it. If I had a car and could be arsed I'd hire this out and make my money back in weeks.

Well finally got one for the wife as a wedding present, found an absolute bargain on gumtree - the Lay-z-spa Vegas inflatable hot tub, second hand for £175. They retail at £380-£500 elsewhere, so as I say, got a stonking deal as everything seems to work well. Didn't come with an instruction manual, so learnt a few things the hard way, but now just getting used to the chemical usage and the like. This is what it looks like:

BW54112-2014-layzspa-vegas-friends-in-ho

Just a few goes so far and we absolutely love it. If I had a car and could be arsed I'd hire this out and make my money back in weeks.

Nice one. My ex used to have one! Brilliant all year round. Especially love a clear cold winters night where you can drink booze, look up at the stars and get your end away all at the same time.

The thought of getting one of those things second hand makes me want to bathe in anti bacterial bodywash immediately.

Never mind wiping your cock on the curtains!

My thoughts exactly

By were i used to live the was a 'massage parlour' when the police shut it down there was a sign in the window for two hot tubs for sale.

Stayed in a hotel in Sofia which had a Playboy Bar downstairs. Went in for a look before heading out for the night, had a couple of manky birds offering us to go into a hot tub with them, together.

Hmm, so not just the accumulated spunk of thousands of men, but one of my good mates' as well.

Gargled with it, obviously.

Stayed in a hotel in Sofia which had a Playboy Bar downstairs. Went in for a look before heading out for the night, had a couple of manky birds offering us to go into a hot tub with them, together.

Hmm, so not just the accumulated spunk of thousands of men, but one of my good mates' as well.

Gargled with it, obviously.

Did you swallow?

My neighbours have one like Remmie and, as I've mentioned before, they're always in it naked and having sex. Was watching Corrie last week and I could hear her moaning over my surround system. Signs of getting old that I'm not impressed in the slightest.

Though had Ken been on-screen at the time it would have at least been fitting.