You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang linked to Liverpool takeover

Wor Horse

So you'd have a pop at Chomsky then if he criticised the Chinese government yeah?

EDIT: Sorry Walton, got a bit narky there, dunno why. Fuggetaboutit.

No, that was fine. Nobody's perfect, but moral relativism taken to an extreme goes nowhere either. Besides, we should be worried about our next owners, the last thing we need is a new mess.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Tony Barret said the times were staying away from the ownership issue until something solid came along do this bloke must mean buisness, my fear is if it's a consortium there gona want a return, now given we struggle to pay intrest there's not gona be alot of return, excuse my cautious manner but once bitten.

I believe anything is better than the 2 cunts and if this bloke pulls this off and they get fuck all it'll make my year, hicks would hopefully then die of a heart attack!

I know Tony Barret said the times were staying away from the ownership issue until something solid came along do this bloke must mean buisness, my fear is if it's a consortium there gona want a return, now given we struggle to pay intrest there's not gona be alot of return, excuse my cautious manner but once bitten.

I believe anything is better than the 2 cunts and if this bloke pulls this off and they get fuck all it'll make my year, hicks would hopefully then die of a heart attack!

Take away the debt that the owners loaded onto the club and Liverpool is profitable.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Take away the debt that the owners loaded onto the club and Liverpool is profitable.

And with a presence in China, we have the potential to be even more profitable.

That said, I can't say I'm over the moon about links to Chinese government - or any government for that matter.

After the disaster of our current "custodians", I'll be extremely sceptical about any new owner that we get.

In saying that I'm delighted that there actually seems to be some movement at last on the investment front. This Huang story could be what's required to move any other potential investors out there to show their hand (if there are any).

It will be interesting to see who actually holds the power at our club. Gillett and Hicks will obviously want the maximum return for their investment no matter how long the process takes and I'd imagine RBS would happily accept a package tomorrow if it would cover their exposure. If the bank does have a duty to examine all potential bids for the club then you can be sure that this Syrian bid won't be the only one that the yanks try and push to delay any sales process.

Seatbelts on, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

327,468 times bitten, twice shy. I want to see and hear loads more than this before I even begin to consider forming an opinion. In fact, forming a sound opinion on new owners will probably take years after what these cunts have done to the club. I might warm to new owners if I find myself sitting in a new Anfield watching the reigning champions at home. Until then, suspicion abounds.

Guest davelfc

I really want to get excited about this but we've had more false dawns than a chav tanning salon.

The part that does start to get me interested is the 'in before the transfer window' part which would be essential for any new owner and of course us for the season ahead.

Please let it be true.

Can anyone who knows anything about the finance industry tell us if this is likely to go through in a reasonable amount of time?

This has actually been in train for a while, but suggesting any deal can be doe before the end of August is very optimistic.

They're not the only show in town either.

I googled this guy in April, when he was fist mentioned as a potential buyer. This is what I found back then:

20th April 2010, 01:07 PM

Re: Hicks and Gillett Officially Put LFC Up For Sale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tried to look up that Kenneth guy. Could only find nice things about him on the net. Seems to be a super philanthropist and a huge sports fan.

Although I did find this rather puzzling forum post on Singapores Online Community:

'Mr Kenneth Huang had landed himself in heavy debts in China, China groups also dying. [...]

Think Mr Huang is a Fcuker lor'"

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/90500-hicks-gillett-officially-put-lfc-up-sale-27.html#post2225698

AND

20th April 2010, 01:18 PM

Re: Hicks and Gillett Officially Put LFC Up For Sale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"From various places on the internet:

JianHua (Kenny) Huang, a Chinese businessman who has become successful by linking American and Chinese companies.

As a partner in Sportscorp China, which has a U.S. base in Chicago with well-known sports consultant Marc Ganis, Haung became a leading dealmaker with pro sports teams. He's worked deals with the New York Yankees, the Houston Rockets and USA Basketball by creating deals with Chinese sponsors.

Huang -- who is a native of Guangzhou, China, and holds degrees from Columbia University, St. John's University and New York University -- has been able to extend sponsor deals investments. According to the Sports Business Journal, Huang and Ganis' Sportscorp has set up at least six American pro sports team owners with lucrative Chinese initial public stock offerings.

For example, he helped Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander invest $30 million in a Chinese athletic apparel company several years ago. The investment jumped 42 percent within days of the stock's release.

Huang is also has been a director of the Aspen Infrastructure Investment Corporation, a U.S.-based group that Huang has led into investments in expansion of Chinese roads and utilities. It is following the same path of linking money on both sides of the Pacific into growth areas -- be it the Cavs, the Yankees or various budding Chinese corporate giants.

Mr. Huang also co-founded QSL Youth Sports Development Foundation, which is the largest sports-related charity fund for underprivileged children in China. Last year, Huang was voted by the BQ magazine and Sina.com as the number one philanthropist celebrity in China."

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/90500-hicks-gillett-officially-put-lfc-up-sale-27.html#post2225715

In order to make Liverpool profitable.

You're going to have to spend at least £800 Million on a new stadium, new players and of course buying the fucking club.

Secondly, they will (probably) revamp Anfield and start up the 'Anfield Plaza' scheme again. On top of that the ticket prices will probably go up so high that no one within Merseyside will probably be able to afford it.

That being said, the only thing I want from potential new owners is that ticket prices are well priced. Of course there will be premium fees. But I would hope that they would much rather want a sell out stadium with different pricing structures, rather than a stadium under full capacity with tickets £50-60 a pop.

This looks like it could be OK as far as its possible to tell... and that's not very far

Huang has a good resume. He is clearly pretty bright and has pulled off some smart and also imaginative moves in the business of sport.

His backers and the funding behind him is reportedly strong enough that they don't have to play a short game and Liverpool is a long game investment right now, so that has to be a positive.

These are the backers that I have been able to pull some info on as they funded the deal to buy a share of the Cleveland Cavaliers that Huang did.

Adrian Cheng:

Adrian Cheng: the Asian retail heir who is aiming to change the way we shop - Telegraph

Adrian Cheng has a confident air about him as he strolls through the coffee bar of the luxury Chancery Court Hotel in London's Holborn, hands clasped behind his rod-straight back. He has every right to be assured – his family owns the place.

Adrian Cheng, one of hong kong's richest businessmen and global shopping mall and retail developer

Adrian Cheng fully or partially controls a chain of 870 Chow Tai Fook jewellery stores across Asia, 33 department stores in China, a retail investment company and a company that promotes sports development in China

It also owns The Regent Beverly Wilshire hotel on Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, and the Ascaya in Las Vegas, to name but two outposts of the Cheng empire.

Mr Cheng is the third-generation heir of one of Asia's most influential business families. The family is ranked as the 112th richest in the world by Forbes, with a net worth of over US$7.7bn (£4.8bn). The dynasty owns a portfolio of companies including the Hong Kong-listed New World Development, one of the Far East's biggest retail, shopping mall and real estate businesses. Mr Cheng, aged 31, runs a bunch of them.

Albert Hung

Born in Fujian province in 1948, he moved to Hong Kong with his mother at the age of 11. Hung started out poor, but developed into a man of substance in political, economic and social circles.

He was involved in real estate, finance, hotels, high-tech, and new energy sources. Hung was also widely recognized as a philanthropist, having given more than 100 million yuan in contributions to charities.

The China Sports Foundation, as one example, was launched with Hung's HK$ 50 million donation to the General Administration of Sports of China in 1994.

Hung is also influential in politics. He is a member of the Standing Committee of the National Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference.

In Hong Kong, Hung was appointed by the HKSAR government as Justice of the Peace, and a member of the Hong Kong Selection Committee responsible for electing the Chief Executive.

PR blurbs undoubtedly but provide some info.

Also Huang has 'connections' with China's State owned enterprises this allows him to 'sell' sponsorship. They are not the backers/investors but sponsors. I don't know if this is relevant but if you go back 30 years - prior to the Friedmanism love fest - State owned enterprises in the west who ran power, telco's, railway companies etc were standard and there was nothing about those businesses that meant that having them as a sponsor in any way linked you with the 'State' as a whole.

Anyway that's what five minutes on google coughs up.