You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Election Night

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes completely agree.

Equally there is no madate for Labour in England when it is polling low 20's & coming 3rd.

With the 2 countries having such a differing fundamental view on basic underlying political philosophies full independance is the only answer.

It would also rather neatly solve all the glib "Fuck that, i'm going to emigrate" comments that you get from BOTH sides as we share a common language & movement between them is so easy & the underlying politics so different, enabling easy choices if anyone is so concerned.

You could apply that same argument to the North though Catch, Liverpool will never accept the Tories, so what are we supposed to do?

If you give Scotland independance then you devolve the Union.

Well done to the Lib Dems in my neck of the woods, with Mark Williams getting bang on 50% of the vote.

Quite a few people who I have spoken to say he is a genuinely nice bloke who will go beyond the call of duty to help his constituents out and it is this, rather than his party affiliation, which got him the votes.

Fair play to the fella.

Been glued to the BBC coverage but thank god Dimbleby has gone to bed, he really was flagging towards the end, mind you he is no spring chicken anymore.

There was quite a few tories on here in the other polls done prior to the election - how do they feel this morning?

Not being able to get an overall majority after 13 years of Labour and now with Brown as PM - also the media support etc - I should imagine they feel pretty demotivated?

You could apply that same argument to the North though Catch, Liverpool will never accept the Tories, so what are we supposed to do?

If you give Scotland independance then you devolve the Union.

I see your point but that will always happen to some extent (ie/ the coast votes differently from the heartland in the US).

However Scotland is in many ways (ie/ sport) a seperate country.

Moreover the Tories do not do that badly in the North: they got well over 17% this time & they win rural seats: in Scotland they can't even do that.

It is not right that they can govern with that score but equally England has decisively voted against the Labour party: incumbent for 13 years & polling low 20's to finish 3rd should not then be imposed due to votes in another country which already has its own Parliament.

Labour did win the popular vote in England in '97 & '01 so it would not be moving England to a 1-party state which is always bad.

The next few days could literally define the country's future. The Tories being seen as an 'English' party and being ready to unleash huge cuts would surely spell the beginning of the end for the UK. Their natural suspicion of the EU could also see a massive thawing of relations there too. England could end up looking very alone, and very parochial.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
David Cameron had a huge recession, 80% of the papers on his side, an unpopular PM and all the Ashcroft money he could handle - and he fucked it up. I blame the parents

I was saying the same thing just a few minutes ago. uncharismatic, unpopular opposition, much better funding, 13 years, two illegal wars, global recession, unparalleled media support and he still can't win a majority in this country. Lib Dem and Labour have over half of the popular vote.

Once bitten...

I was saying the same thing just a few minutes ago. uncharismatic, unpopular opposition, much better funding, 13 years, two illegal wars, global recession, unparalleled media support and he still can't win a majority in this country. Lib Dem and Labour have over half of the popular vote.

Once bitten...

To be honest I'm still shocked they polled as much as they did. What exactly are they selling? 'Austerity'. Sounds like the name of a Michigan baptist minister's daughter.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What exactly are they selling?

Change, ma brutha. The revolution will not be televised. The revolution will not be brought to you by Xerox, in 4 parts without commercial interruptions.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Nick Clegg had better make the right decisions today. This is possibly the biggest decision, the biggest event in British politics for many, many generations. If he really wants change, if he really believes in the future for fair politics, then he'll go with Labour and go forward on a PR reform wave. Don't fuck it up.

I can't emphasise just how important this is. I can't believe those that have said 'this makes no difference'. This will probably be the biggest election of our lifetimes.

How many votes are the Welsh Plaid Cumonyou? A

Living in Arfon I would of voted plaid, knowing things to be as close as they were last time, less then 2% (Labour won) I decided on labour.

Plaid received 36% of the votes to Labours 30%, 1455 votes in it.

Guest davelfc

Well looks like the two biggest cunts will manage the country leaving the lesser cunts out in the cold. Cunts!

Guest davelfc

Frustrating that the smallest of the three parties now gets to call the shots, minority rule.

Let's do it all again, this time by phone vote and text with each of the three leaders having to perform a talent in front of some judges. May sound stupid but it beats the crazy fucked up system we have now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Has he confirmed this already?

No, not even close. He's just said that as they got the most votes and the most seats that he'll allow the Conservatives attempt to prove that they can 'do what is in the national interest'. He also mentioned electoral reform, fairness and change.

Can't see him going anywhere close to the Cons. Just can't see it.