You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rangers confirm Liverpool approach for teenage defender Danny Wilson

StevieH

Wilson is a good player with big potential. i've only seen him in the flesh twice when Killie have played Rangers and he played well on both occassions. Obviously a massive difference in quality of opposition but he also done well in Champions League games.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care which side does it, you're all cunts.

Couldn't agree more - it's bad enough that society still has this shit to deal with, there's no place for sectarianism in sport. We might be a day too late for a Good Friday agreement but let's not have an Easter Rising eh?

So it's only ok when one of your own does it ?

Shut up and grow up. I'm actualy "one of your own" (I'm assuming you are catholic, given that you support Celtic).

I grew up in Belfast and hate sectarian nonsense from both sides so think before you type shite.

This is the type of signing we should be making with the little money we have, even if we had loads i'd still like to see it.

Young, British, Good defender who can be groomed to play centre half for years to come.

Clubs like Rangers who are skint also are ripe for picking up some good kids.

Wish Benitez would stop focusing on defensive players, but who am I kidding..

This is the type of signing we should be making with the little money we have, even if we had loads i'd still like to see it.

The TARTs need to make their minds up.

Watched Danny in the flesh quite a few times this season,and was at game yday.

Not quite ready yet,but he will turn into an excellent centre back,and he likes to play the ball on the ground.

If we could sign him at the end of the season,and let him stay at Ibrox for 1 more season it would do both a world of good.

Watched Danny in the flesh quite a few times this season,and was at game yday.

Not quite ready yet,but he will turn into an excellent centre back,and he likes to play the ball on the ground.

If we could sign him at the end of the season,and let him stay at Ibrox for 1 more season it would do both a world of good.

I am a ST Holder at Ibrox, and have seen a lot of Danny Wilson, from the age of 13 to the present moment.Spurs actually had a bid of a million turned down when Danny was still a youth team player, and from what i hear they are still sniffing about him, so to speak.

IMHO he has all the attributes required to make it to the very top, one of the best players we have produced in years. He was playing in our under 18 team when he was 13, some achievment in any country.

I agree with GB, he is not ready for EPL yet, but a couple of years of playing in the first team at Rangers, and he will be ready IMHO.

He reads the game very well, is quick, and has a sweet left foot. loves to play diagonal balls in behind full backs. those that know the game will know there is a difference between long ball and long pass. He can mix it up, and knows when to play it long and when to just knock it short

He has gained valuable experience already this season, and has played in Champions League, plays in front of nearly 50,000 every second week, and in front of 60,000 in an Old Firm game at Celtic Park already, not bad for someone that has only turned 18 recently.

I know that SPL is rotten in comparison to EPL, but this lad definitely has what it takes to make it to the top. I realise that he is young and that things can change, particularly if he doesn't continue to develop at the present rate. by all accounts he is a very level headed lad as well, so not much chance of him going off the rails.

I would be very sorry to see him leave Ibrox, but can't think of anywhere i would rather him go than LFC, needs a couple of years at Ibrox first though.

Good in the air as well, got up well to score v hearts last week, I like the lad myself really impressed with a few young kids in the Gers squad, especially John Fleck.

yeah, forgot to mention he is good in the air as well.

John Fleck has enormous talent (if played in the correct position that is). I personally would have in the team now, and allow him to develop in the first team. why he is not getting regular run I'm not sure, although i believe he was dropped earlier in the season because he was getting a bit ahead of himself. perhaps we will see him getting a regular run next season????

agree that he is probably better off staying at Rangers and getting first team football for a few years yet. He's only just turned 18 but is destined to play at the top level eventually.

Reminds a lot of Agger.

Fleck is a great shout as well gents.

Im just not getting it with Fleck.

As has been said though Walter rarely plays him in his proper position,and he did fall out with Mcoist earlier on in the season,got to big for his boots.

Id like to see him get a run up front before making my mind up.

Stick or twist? Ex-Liverpool hero Gary McAllister says Danny Wilson must decide if he's ready for big leap to Anfield | Mail Online

The last prominent Scot to wear the red of Liverpool, Gary McAllister, was a former international captain when he walked in the footsteps of some towering countrymen.

Aged 35, he knew where he was treading.

Whether Danny Wilson, just turned 18, can say the same is another matter.

A solid season in the Rangers first team has dovetailed with some promising displays in the Champions League.

All of which has attracted the attention of Rafa Benitez, with the Spaniard wafting an alluring £3million cheque in the direction of Ibrox.

So much time has Scottish football spent as the wallflower of European football that no one quite knows how to react to a Premiership suitor these days.

Those with the good of the game at heart — and they are few — will toast the return of a bygone age, when Liverpool scouts virtually maintained second homes north of Hadrian’s Wall.

Others in the Rangers support will rightly bemoan the potential loss of a talented young player with captaincy credentials.

The departure of such a talent, following the failure to agree a new contract, would merely emphasise the depths of the financial malaise at Ibrox.

No longer, it seems, are young players simply grateful to don a Rangers or Celtic jersey. In truth, the sudden interest of Liverpool in the aftermath of talks breaking down looks no coincidence.

Premiership clubs have long been renowned for indulging in some desperate measures to attract the best young talent.

At 18, Wilson is no schoolboy, but neither is he the finished article. In a defence where Sotirios Kyrgiakos gets a game, the young Scot is entitled to fancy his chances.

Yet, as McAllister put it yesterday, he must examine his reasons for wishing to head to the rich man’s playground before making the decision to abandon the relative security of the SPL.

‘Ultimately, it comes down to what the individual wants for himself,’ the former Scotland captain told Sportsmail.

‘If you play at Ibrox, you have adulation and a stadium where the atmosphere is amongst the best you will find anywhere.

‘You are expected to win trophies and get to the last 16 of the Champions League, while you can be captain of one of the biggest clubs in the land.

‘But if you have ambitions to play with the best and grace stadiums like Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford or Anfield, then you come down here.

‘It has always been the case that people down here have a low opinion of the Scottish League. They feel everything is nowhere near as good as the Premiership.

article-0-003DAE3500000258-379_306x447.jpg Word of warning: Gary McAllister

‘If you are Scottish, you have to decide if you are the sort to prove you are good enough to play in this environment.

‘That was what brought me down in the ’80s from Motherwell. I wanted to follow in the footsteps of Dalglish, Souness and Hansen.

‘Scottish boys don’t always do that these days. It has been really pleasing to see Barry Ferguson come back down and do so well at Birmingham, because he left Blackburn prematurely before.

‘Kris Boyd also wouldn’t be a risk for anyone who wants to bring him down. He will always score goals. But it’s up to Boyd and Wilson to ask themselves what they want.

‘Some people are home birds and just don’t fancy moving away. Or it might come down to money.’

McAllister has seen little of Wilson. That Spurs, Aston Villa and Manchester City have also been credited with an interest, though, is a testament to his ability. These days, such clubs rarely cross the border.

Much of that can be blamed on an inability to gauge the talent of youngsters in the SPL. Wilson will always be tested in an Old Firm game, but less so against Falkirk and Hamilton.

That the defender proved himself under scrutiny in venues like Stuttgart provided a form of insurance.

‘I haven’t seen a lot of the lad, so I would be talking out of turn to pass comment on his suitability for Anfield,’ said McAllister, who won the UEFA, League and FA Cups in 2000 at Liverpool.

‘I saw him in the Old Firm game and he looked a prospect, but that’s it. Central defence is an area where Liverpool are a wee bit short at the moment.

Kyrgiakos is an ex-Rangers defender and has been a bit erratic. Ultimately, he’s a squad player.

‘I’d see Wilson as one for the future. He passed the test when he wa thrown in to the Champions League. So that says something.’

How heartbroken Rangers would be to receive a £3m cheque for a teenager is open to debate. Wilson’s refusal to sign a new appearances-based deal has effectively forced their hand.

The usual script sees youngsters undersel l themselves for fear of being left on the shelf. That Wilson is willing to test an inflated market in a quest to realise his value hints at a greater level of composure.

‘What he has in his favour is experience of life at a big club,’ said McAllister.

‘The boys I played with who came from the Old Firm had a head start. They had seen it all before.’