You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Secret Santa 2009

RedinSweden

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends. Have you got previous, or is this your first offence?

Ummm, not sure. I've always sent mine on time but have been a little slack reviewing. I always review disc 1, but think I've missed a couple of reviews on disc 2.

Year One: Strontium Dog - both discs reviewed (two discs).

Year Two: Stouffer - one disc reviewed (two discs).

Year Three: Paddyberger15 - full review (one disc).

Year Four: Briefs - one disc reviewed (two discs).

Well, you see, every year we enter a Secret Santa on this forum I go on. It's crazy! You have to send a CD to a random person, and you receive one too. There's this lad on there called Hamstrung, he likes big boobs and, erm, women who eat shit.

No offence to CrouchieBoy but there isn't a chance I was ever going to review his effort. After weeks of waiting I eventually got 3 CD's sent to me - Online.

Still should have reviewed it, Gav. That's what the SS is all about.

No offence to CrouchieBoy but there isn't a chance I was ever going to review his effort. After weeks of waiting I eventually got 3 CD's sent to me - Online.

I think you should have reviewed it. He's in America so maybe he couldn't afford the postage of 3 CDs. Although I'm not keen on online SS packages at least you received something so I think you were the one in the wrong there.

There's still time.

Do it.

JoqDYcCDOTg

It was my first year doing Secret Santa and I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of the CD's for weeks. Then when RIS PM'd me and explained I might not be receiving any CD's but I could follow this link and you can listen to them online - I was a tad peeved. Then CrouchieBoy PM'd me in January and said he was hoping to get the CD's posted soon, so I was holding out to do the review for when they arrived. They didn't.

Anyways, count me out this year.

• 1 month later...

Right, in order to ensure entry into the 2010 Secret Santa, I’m about to deliver what may well be the latest review in Secret Santa history…

I have listened to these CDs many times in the last 10/11 months, so here goes!

Disc 1

The Classical - The Fall

Right, I’m going to have to hold my hands up straight off and admit that, despite being born in 1974 and developing what would probably be termed an ‘indie’ music taste in my teens, I’ve never really listened to The Fall.

However, I like this. Nice mish-mash of guitars, bass and drums, never quite in time but somehow working, all accompanied by some slightly off-key singing from Mr Smith. Good start.

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

Another new one on me, and I’ve never heard of the band. Very unusual sound, but I like it. Almost haunting. Two for two so far.

Uncertain Smile - The The

Another song I’d not heard before, although I’d obviously heard of The The. Very 80s (obviously!), but all in all a bit of grower.

Atom - Cannibal Ox

And from the 80s, we jump to some dirty hip-hop. Like this a lot – great dirty bassline!

Dry The Rain - Beta Band

Now I’ve always meant to listen to some Beta Band and never got round to it – a bit like this review really… On this evidence, I will endeavour to hunt out more. Very chilled.

Slim Slow Rider - Van Morrision

And on to some Van the Man. First couple of times I listened to this, it kind of passed me by, but it’s now one of my favourite tracks on disc 1.

Still Remains - Stone Temple Pilots

Never really felt the STP joy,. This is OK, nothing more, nothing less. Fairly generic ‘rock grunge’ stuff.

Fireworks - Animal Collective

That’s better. I can’t really describe what it is about it that I like, but I do. A lot. Loads of different sounds going on, creating a wonderful whole. Excellent.

Instant Street – Deus

Gentle guitar strumming again. Inoffensive, but not hugely memorable. OK.

Telephasic Workshop - Boards of Canada

Now I like this one – ambient electronica. Was well into my techno in the dim and distant past, and this sounds like something I’d listen to the morning after the night before when I was staring vacantly at a wall…

Sweet Adeline - Elliott Smith

More guitar strumming, but this one hits a few more chords (see what I did there…) with me. He’s got quite a haunting voice. Like.

Hip Hop - Dead Prez

And back to some hip-hop. Another one with a nice, dirty bassline. Another one in the plus column for me…

Editions Of You - Roxy Music

Sounds like an early one, and is certainly one I’m not familiar with. Ferry’s stop-start lyrical style is very prevalent, as is the wailing Hammond organ.

Stagger Lee - Nick Cave

Much the same as The Fall, I’ve never really listened to Nick Cave in any of his various guises. On this evidence, I’m definitely missing out. Excellent story-telling lyrics, with the somewhat aggressive subject matter proving perfect for Cave’s gravelly style. Superb.

Dumb Waiters - Psychedelic Furs

Again, heard of them but never listened to them. Can take it or leave it - a little bit samey, but OK.

Never Let Me Down Again - Depeche Mode

I’ll confess to never really having been the greatest Depeche Mode fan, and this one doesn’t really change my mind. Sounds like a lot of their stuff from the same period. Meh.

Disc 2

Search & Destroy - Iggy & The Stooges

Good bit of angry Iggy to start disc 2. Shame you had to sell your soul to advertise insurance Iggy…

I Was A Lover - TV On The Radio

One of my favourite tracks on either disc . Much like the Animal Collective song, it’s almost impossible to describe the sound, but it’s just completely different. Awesome.

The Post That Suits You Best – Delgados

The Delgados slipped me by completely. Pleasant enough, but on the basis of this song nothing to write home about. In fact, they a bit like another band, but I can’t quite put my finger on who… Flaming Lips-lite?

Psychosis Safari - 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster

Love the name! Never heard of them, obviously, but it’s a great track – very punky and a real blast to the eardrums!

One - Ghostface Killah

Woah, what a change of pace compared to the previous track! Hip hop again, but far more relaxed. Have desperately tried to work out the sample in the background, but I just can’t do it….

Half The Time - Lemonheads

Ah, The Lemonheads. Well, it’s The Lemonheads, isn’t it? A nice blast from my indie past…

The Purple Bottle - Animal Collective

Another Animal Collective song, and the same applies as the review of the previous song. I really like this, and Iwould have bought their album by now if I wasn’t a tight, lazy bastard. Might get it for Christmas – must be on offer by now!

Burning Airlines Give You So Much More - Brian Eno

Never listened to any of Eno’s solo stuff. A bit of research shows this was released the year I was born – it’s ace!

Acrid Avid Jam Shred - Aphex Twin

More chill-out ambient electronica. Was always partial to a bit of Aphex Twin in my youth, and this has reminded me why…

Keep Your Dreams - Primal Scream

Staying with the chill-out theme – pretty standard Primal’s tune. I have to confess, while I like them, I do tend to get a bit bored about halfway through every Primal’s song, but that’s probably just me.

Falling For You - Weezer

Never been a great fan of Weezer, and this hasn’t changed my mind.

Carry The Zero - Built to Spill

More indie-rock musings – prefer this to the Weezer track, but nothing special.

Elevation - Television

New to me - sounds 70s and the power of Google tells me they are. Good track, and some great guitar work.

Down In A Hole - Alice In Chains

Live track, and a good one. Not heard much of these before either - Christ, I sound like I don’t listen to music at all!

When Love Breaks Down (Acoustic) - Prefab Sprout

I haven’t heard this song for absolutely years! I remember when this first came out - really nice acoustic version.

Something Is Squeezing My Skull - Morrissey

It’s Morrisey – do I need to say any more?

Dreamy Days - Roots Manuva

Nice end to the collection – nice, chilled bit of rap/hip-hop. Roots Manuva are one of those bands I always forget about and then randomly hear a song and remember how much I like them…

Well, that didn’t really take very long in the end, and I’d like to apologise to DimReaper for being such a slackarse cunt for failing to review them before now.

All in all, far more hits than misses – in fact, there isn’t a single song on either disc that I immediately skip through. I’ve listened to both discs on many, many occasions, and I’d like to thank DR for sending them to me after my original sender’s discs didn’t turn up for whatever reason.

Sweet review, Thorpey - I always knew you'd come good ;)

Glad you liked most of it. Those Animal Collective tunes are off different albums. "Fireworks" is from Strawberry Jam and "Purple Bottle" is from Feels. The former's probably a bit more accessible on the whole, but I just about prefer Feels I think...

Excellent reviewing and thanks again.

• 3 months later...