You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Secret Santa 2009

RedinSweden

Just realised I never reviewed Kurt's bonus CD (which is allowed within the rules but I wanted to get it done) so I'll try to this weekend.

Yes.... and?? ;)

Dont need to if you dont have the time... But maybe you can pm just naming the songs ( if any ) you liked...or hated...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kurt, many apologies for the delay but here is the review of the bonus CD. It's all from Norwegian artists and all bar one track were new to me.

1. Ghost Dog - Idiot Savant

Straight in, catchy hook and some very pleasant rocky pop. More of an edge to the chorus and good range on the vocals. Good stuff.

2. Superfamily - The Radio Has Expressed

Starts like an up tempo version of a Joy Division track; keyboards, synth and guitar driven this is a great little number.

3. Gluecifer - Little Man

A single picked guitar opens this one, the sound are built up from there with the vocals, bass, synth and then drums getting involved. On the first few listens I kept wanting this build up to lead into a rousing chorus, I thought it was a little one paced but it's really grown on me.

4. Royksopp - Only This Moment

Have to love a bit of Royksopp; this was the only track I had heard before from this CD. Lovely electronic melodies, a perfect tune to throw some slower shapes to in the middle of an epic night out.

5. Madrugada - Majesty

Great stuff this. Sombre yet beautiful. The singer's voice really reminds me of someone else but I can't place it.

6. Savoy - Foolish

Another slow starter, builds up into a decent chorus but never quite delivers enough for my liking.

7. Gate - Statt Opp

Straight in with this one, the first drum beats sound a bit like Live Forever but then comes some lead guitar and a lovely Norwegian female voice. Without being able to understand the lyrics I can fully appreciate the quality of the voice as a great sound.

8. Turbonegro - Fuck The World

Heard of these but couldn't have told you anything by them. Definitely one of the louder, dirtier tracks on the CD, an all out rock fest. Catchy hooks and a decent chorus but it sounds like many a band that came out of the US when I was about 15 around the time of Blink 182, Fenix TX and the like.

9. Bel Canto - Didn't You Know It

Probably the one on the CD doing the least for me. Starts off like an advert for a holiday company or a cruise and descends into standard 80's europop territory. I believe the singer also works with Royksopp on the odd track and live shows.

10. Madrugada - Look Away Lucifer

Another track from these guys and once again I'm impressed but still can't shake the feeling that it reminds me of someone else, it's somewhere between Nick Cave and Mark Lanegan. This one has the same slower tempo, until we get half way through and we're into a much louder sound. Top stuff.

11. Ghost Dog - Teflon Man

Another band with two tracks in this collection and another good choice. It seems these guys haven't been around very long and I can see them gaining some popularity as it's an accessible sound.

12. Unni Whilhemsen - Won't Go Near You Again

Pleasant enough female singer/songwriter vibe but doesn't grab me as anything particularly special.

13. A-ha - Hunting High and Low

Heh, besides Take On Me I've never heard anything else by A-ha. 80s pop-tastic! Oh and a singalong to finish too!

Once again Kurt, thanks for the CDs and the effort that went into them. Sorry that this last one took so long to come.

Kurt, many apologies for the delay but here is the review of the bonus CD. It's all from Norwegian artists and all bar one track were new to me.

1. Ghost Dog - Idiot Savant

Straight in, catchy hook and some very pleasant rocky pop. More of an edge to the chorus and good range on the vocals. Good stuff.

2. Superfamily - The Radio Has Expressed

Starts like an up tempo version of a Joy Division track; keyboards, synth and guitar driven this is a great little number.

3. Gluecifer - Little Man

A single picked guitar opens this one, the sound are built up from there with the vocals, bass, synth and then drums getting involved. On the first few listens I kept wanting this build up to lead into a rousing chorus, I thought it was a little one paced but it's really grown on me.

4. Royksopp - Only This Moment

Have to love a bit of Royksopp; this was the only track I had heard before from this CD. Lovely electronic melodies, a perfect tune to throw some slower shapes to in the middle of an epic night out.

5. Madrugada - Majesty

Great stuff this. Sombre yet beautiful. The singer's voice really reminds me of someone else but I can't place it.

6. Savoy - Foolish

Another slow starter, builds up into a decent chorus but never quite delivers enough for my liking.

7. Gate - Statt Opp

Straight in with this one, the first drum beats sound a bit like Live Forever but then comes some lead guitar and a lovely Norwegian female voice. Without being able to understand the lyrics I can fully appreciate the quality of the voice as a great sound.

8. Turbonegro - Fuck The World

Heard of these but couldn't have told you anything by them. Definitely one of the louder, dirtier tracks on the CD, an all out rock fest. Catchy hooks and a decent chorus but it sounds like many a band that came out of the US when I was about 15 around the time of Blink 182, Fenix TX and the like.

9. Bel Canto - Didn't You Know It

Probably the one on the CD doing the least for me. Starts off like an advert for a holiday company or a cruise and descends into standard 80's europop territory. I believe the singer also works with Royksopp on the odd track and live shows.

10. Madrugada - Look Away Lucifer

Another track from these guys and once again I'm impressed but still can't shake the feeling that it reminds me of someone else, it's somewhere between Nick Cave and Mark Lanegan. This one has the same slower tempo, until we get half way through and we're into a much louder sound. Top stuff.

11. Ghost Dog - Teflon Man

Another band with two tracks in this collection and another good choice. It seems these guys haven't been around very long and I can see them gaining some popularity as it's an accessible sound.

12. Unni Whilhemsen - Won't Go Near You Again

Pleasant enough female singer/songwriter vibe but doesn't grab me as anything particularly special.

13. A-ha - Hunting High and Low

Heh, besides Take On Me I've never heard anything else by A-ha. 80s pop-tastic! Oh and a singalong to finish too!

Once again Kurt, thanks for the CDs and the effort that went into them. Sorry that this last one took so long to come.

Thanks for some great reviews!

I appreciate the efforts you put in with the revies, and to me a good review ( even when you dont like the songs ) is almost as important as the cd itself.

The bonus cd was just an excuse to get an extra couple of Ghost Dog songs out there. It`s a band from my city who is brilliant. But they are quite unknown even in Norway.

Glad you liked.

Oh, and regarding A-Ha, i used to hate them in the 80`s ( that was my heavy metal period where Iron Maiden ruled ) but the last few years I have been listening to some of their back catalogue, and they have come out with quite a few really good songs.

Now I actually think they are an underrated band.

I think I gave the Ghost Dog song you put on mine a bit of a thumbs down, but its actually really grown on me since.

That was their first single... The album includes 5 or 6 songs I think is much better.

You were quite positive on the song, but a little unsure of the singer, if I remember correctly.

That was their first single... The album includes 5 or 6 songs I think is much better.

You were quite positive on the song, but a little unsure of the singer, if I remember correctly.

That sounds about right - his voice might be a bit of an acquired taste at first. I don't really notice it now. Really good pop song that one.

That sounds about right - his voice might be a bit of an acquired taste at first. I don't really notice it now. Really good pop song that one.

I`ve posted these links before, but if you havent check em out. They are really some good songs.

Karls verdict:

Karls verdict:

I love this one. Upbeat and fast paced with a catchy chorus.

Karls verdict:

Karl knows his stuff!

And then there are these...

(This one you know)

The album is packed with ace songs!

Right, a couple of weeks ago the Prof very kindly offered to help out a Secret Santa orphan (I believe Zeek is the perpetrator; it cuts deep) by sending me his offering. I say kindly, I also sent him mine, so I'm equally kind. The tracklists are taken from the one previously posted, as we both gave each other stripped back versions without artwork or tracklist. Here are a few thoughts anyway..

Disc 1

Hysteric (Acoustic) – Yeahs Yeah Yeahs

Just love her voice. Don't always like her band - that cunt who plays guitar for them has an extremely punchable face - but this is really beautiful. I'm a sucker for the strings in particular.

Today’s Demo – Walter Schreifels

I like the cut of Walter's jib, he's got a really nice voice.

For Broken Ears – Chuck Ragan

Am really not a fan of non-Dylan one man and his guitar sounding stuff, but the Prof is pulling out some nice choices here; this is very Boss indeed.

Almost Crime – Broken Social Scene

A bit melancholy, but really pretty.

Get Me – Dinosaur Jr

I absolutely bloody love this song. J Mascis has one of my favourite rock'n'roll voices. This is a really nice acoustic version that I've never heard before

Angel with Broken Wings – Jetplane Landing

Short but (relatively) sweet

Skinny Love – Bon Iver

The website I'm involved with is lucky enough to have really good contacts with Jagjaguwar. Though Bon Iver is not really my bag (see the earlier comment about one man and his guitar stuff), there's no doubt that Justin Vernon is one talented bastard, and this is one of my favourites.

Lua – Bright Eyes

I know I'm supposed to really like Conor Oberst. I can see why people like him, but it's just not my thing really..very pleasant melody, but I'm just not sure when I'd ever listen to it.

Strange Fruit – Billie Holiday

Simply one of the single best vocals I've ever heard, and one of the most important songs of all time.

Pheurton Skeurto – Sunny Day Real Estate

I like this..it's quirky, and more than a bit filmic.

Brick – Ben Folds Five

Not a fan of Ben Folds, though this does have some very nice Nightswimming piano

You See me Crying – Aerosmith

Aerosmith were sooo good back in the day. This is (of course) totally overblown, but the vocal is superb.

Betterman – Pearl Jam

I'm completely biased against Pearl Jam. They have happened without my permission. When I was a kid you had Nirvana, Mudhoney, Pavement et al. Pearl Jam were a joke. Then suddenly I was reading Uncut a few years back and realised that not only are they still going, they're incredibly acclaimed. How the fuck did that happen?! Ten was just faux rage sung by a human foghorn. Anyway, this song..Vedder's vocals suit this kind of restraint far better than over produced grunge. I still can't like it, but I do think that the problem is now mine as much as theirs.

Never tear us apart – INXS

Haha, there's just no escape from INXS for sh#t waffle. The missus is an Australian, and if it's not INXS it's Men At Work or Mental As Anything. The last two are a lie, but she does like INXS. And fucking Powderfinger. Kudos for not putting Powderfinger on, Owen. I actually like this song anyway..

Nothing else matters – Paul Hartnoll

Woah, not heard this before, even though I was a huge Orbital fan. This is very different, and could easily have veered into Moby territory, but I really like it.

Fresh feeling- Eels

A band that I think are really worth a re-appraisal from me. E always really annoyed me in the press, and I think I wrote off most of his records on the back of it. This is very Beck in its mix of looped drums and more indie sounding strings. Oh, and the vocals sound just like Beck too. I like.

Tom Hodge - Areodynamic

Wicked orchestral cover of one of my favourite Daft Punk tunes. Epic.

Crown of Love – Arcade Fire

Yet another band that I know I have the potential to like far more than I do. This is lovely.

Don’t let it bring you down – Neil Young

Was just arguing with Mrs Waffle about Neil Young the day before the CDs arrived. She loves him, and I've always blamed him for every shit dad rocker ever. Which isn't to say that I think he's shit, just that he's indirectly responsible for lots of shit. This is ace though.

Linger on – Two Gallants

A suitably melancholic end to the CD. Really nice harmonica

Disc 2

Set guitars to kill – And so I watch you from afar

I seriously like this. A lot. It's instrumental and very heavy. Obviously it's got a bit of Mogwai in there which is almost unavoidable, but I shall definitely be keeping an eye out for them.

Reeper – Winnebago

Very thrashy, with lovely 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' plinky piano

Sabotage – Beastie Boys

If you don't like this song generally then you're a twat. If you don't do as I did and jump off the bus in the style of a 70s cop (getting off the bus) when fate brings the "Can't stand it" bit just as you reach the end of your journey then you're a massive twat. Cheers Owen, I think everyone on my commute now thinks I'm a freak.

Fixed – Dan le Sac

I do like him..he's very clever and very eloquent, but I do always have the urge to listen to a proper MC straight afterwards.

Blood on our hands (Justice Remix) – Death from above 1979

Justice simply never run out of lovely squelchy basslines. I salute them and their crazy French analogue sounds..

Justice – phamtom pt 2 (Soulwax remix) – Soulwax

I like the twist - a Justice remix followed by a remix of Justice. This one's very intense, with a fucking ace build and release bit at the end.

We are your friends – Justice vs simian

Methinks Owen likes Justice. The vocal on this has just always really grated with me, and I find it difficult to listen to. They're no friends of mine. Do you see what I did there?

One more time – Daft Punk

Classic band, not actually one of my favourites though.

All my friends – LCD soundsystem

They're a band that have pretty much passed me by, but I have to say I really like it. Arcade Firey vocals over a really hypnotic piano.

1901 – Phoenix

This is taken from an album called Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. You can't fail with an album title like that. This is fairly bog standard guitar pop, but kudos for the retarded album title.

High voltage – Eagles of Death Metal

You've gotta love Eagles of Death Metal. The missus went to see them at a ladies only show at a London strip club a couple of years back. I was jealous, and I'm not even sure whether I was jealous of the band or the girls. In fairness, they usually work better as a live act than on record, but this is awesome sleaziness.

Why does it hurt – Hot Snakes

Not what I'd normally listen to, but I really like this; quality three chord garage rock.

A Pillar of salt – The Thermals

See above, except this one sounds weirdly mixed, the vocals and guitar are far too high compared to the rhythm section. Get back in to the studio, Thermals..

So down on – Rival Schools

It has some really nice elements - I like the vocals during the verse, and it has some very nice wonky guitar licks, but I kind of feel like it's a little less than the sum of its parts. I should be careful, I'm pretty sure Owen loves Rival Schools.

Massive night – The Hold Steady

Really like this, cheeky organ and a mix of loads of classic rock 'n' roll, right down to the Ramonesy call and response vocals

No pussy blues – Grinderman

Fucking love Nick Cave, fucking love this song. It's filthy but a bit insecure, and grooves like a bitch. Typical Nick Cave then, really.

Tv party – Black Flag

Ah, Mr Rollins. Very Ramonesy again, but quite anglophile as well. Haven't heard it in years, I like it, but it very much reminds me of those really studenty recipes/tips that used to be on late at night on channel four, where they would sing everything that they did. I'm really hoping someone else remembers what I'm talking about.

Repeater- Fugazi

Wow, we're in a section of bands I've not heard in years. As usual with Fugazi, the bass playing is mighty, mighty impressive

Cerebra – Hundred Reasons

Very heavy, and very loud.

Calculate the risk – Jetplane Landing

This sounds like myriad people, from a bit of Talking Heads in the vocals to Pavement and even a bit of Elvis Costello. They're not as good as any of them, obviously, but I do like it.

Overall, it's obvious that a fuck load of work went into both discs - far more than in mine that's for sure. There's loads of changes in tempo and style, and they all work well with each other. There's some stuff both familiar and hitherto unknown that I think is absolutely superb, and I will definitely be investigating some of those further. Cheers Owen. My only disappointment is that while listening to one of the songs I wrote the following as a note:

"sounds like Elton John bumming David Bowie in the early 1970s. Gay as a window, but that's no bad thing." I can't remember for the life of me what song that's the description to..

Edited by sh#t waffle

Don't know whether you're talking about me there DimReaper, but I know I said I'd get your CDs reviewed a while back.

Have had to work away for the last month, so haven't had the chance. Will do it this weekend - probably on Sunday with a stinking hangover!

Oh, and I still haven't had my CD from my original sender, despite assurances they'd send me a replacement...

Cheers Olly, you review will be arriving (relatively) quickly.

Right, a couple of weeks ago the Prof very kindly offered to help out a Secret Santa orphan (I believe Zeek is the perpetrator; it cuts deep) by sending me his offering. I say kindly, I also sent him mine, so I'm equally kind. The tracklists are taken from the one previously posted, as we both gave each other stripped back versions without artwork or tracklist. Here are a few thoughts anyway..

Disc 1

Hysteric (Acoustic) – Yeahs Yeah Yeahs

Just love her voice. Don't always like her band - that cunt who plays guitar for them has an extremely punchable face - but this is really beautiful. I'm a sucker for the strings in particular.

Today’s Demo – Walter Schreifels

I like the cut of Walter's jib, he's got a really nice voice.

He's the singer from Rival Schools, and was in hardcore legends Gorilla Biscuits and Quicksand. He's got a solo album out in the next 2/3 months, and is touring early April.

For Broken Ears – Chuck Ragan

Am really not a fan of non-Dylan one man and his guitar sounding stuff, but the Prof is pulling out some nice choices here; this is very Boss indeed.

Almost Crime – Broken Social Scene

A bit melancholy, but really pretty.

Get Me – Dinosaur Jr

I absolutely bloody love this song. J Mascis has one of my favourite rock'n'roll voices. This is a really nice acoustic version that I've never heard before

Angel with Broken Wings – Jetplane Landing

Short but (relatively) sweet

Skinny Love – Bon Iver

The website I'm involved with is lucky enough to have really good contacts with Jagjaguwar. Though Bon Iver is not really my bag (see the earlier comment about one man and his guitar stuff), there's no doubt that Justin Vernon is one talented bastard, and this is one of my favourites.

Lua – Bright Eyes

I know I'm supposed to really like Conor Oberst. I can see why people like him, but it's just not my thing really..very pleasant melody, but I'm just not sure when I'd ever listen to it.

I can dig that.

Strange Fruit – Billie Holiday

Simply one of the single best vocals I've ever heard, and one of the most important songs of all time.

Pheurton Skeurto – Sunny Day Real Estate

I like this..it's quirky, and more than a bit filmic.

I liked it as a kind of breakwater after the Billie Holiday song. There's not really anywhere you can go after that.

Brick – Ben Folds Five

Not a fan of Ben Folds, though this does have some very nice Nightswimming piano

You See me Crying – Aerosmith

Aerosmith were sooo good back in the day. This is (of course) totally overblown, but the vocal is superb.

Betterman – Pearl Jam

I'm completely biased against Pearl Jam. They have happened without my permission. When I was a kid you had Nirvana, Mudhoney, Pavement et al. Pearl Jam were a joke. Then suddenly I was reading Uncut a few years back and realised that not only are they still going, they're incredibly acclaimed. How the fuck did that happen?! Ten was just faux rage sung by a human foghorn. Anyway, this song..Vedder's vocals suit this kind of restraint far better than over produced grunge. I still can't like it, but I do think that the problem is now mine as much as theirs.

Never tear us apart – INXS

Haha, there's just no escape from INXS for sh#t waffle. The missus is an Australian, and if it's not INXS it's Men At Work or Mental As Anything. The last two are a lie, but she does like INXS. And fucking Powderfinger. Kudos for not putting Powderfinger on, Owen. I actually like this song anyway..

Nothing else matters – Paul Hartnoll

Woah, not heard this before, even though I was a huge Orbital fan. This is very different, and could easily have veered into Moby territory, but I really like it.

The album's worth checking out, it ranges between, as you put before, really filmic stuff, and this kind of thing. Good poker music.

Fresh feeling- Eels

A band that I think are really worth a re-appraisal from me. E always really annoyed me in the press, and I think I wrote off most of his records on the back of it. This is very Beck in its mix of looped drums and more indie sounding strings. Oh, and the vocals sound just like Beck too. I like.

Tom Hodge - Areodynamic

Wicked orchestral cover of one of my favourite Daft Punk tunes. Epic.

Crown of Love – Arcade Fire

Yet another band that I know I have the potential to like far more than I do. This is lovely.

Don’t let it bring you down – Neil Young

Was just arguing with Mrs Waffle about Neil Young the day before the CDs arrived. She loves him, and I've always blamed him for every shit dad rocker ever. Which isn't to say that I think he's shit, just that he's indirectly responsible for lots of shit. This is ace though.

Linger on – Two Gallants

A suitably melancholic end to the CD. Really nice harmonica

I'm obsessed with these at the moment, and as such probably put one of the less accessible songs on, but it seemed to fit.

Disc 2

Set guitars to kill – And so I watch you from afar

I seriously like this. A lot. It's instrumental and very heavy. Obviously it's got a bit of Mogwai in there which is almost unavoidable, but I shall definitely be keeping an eye out for them.

They seem to be doing well and gaining some momentum at the moment. On Jetplane's label.

Reeper – Winnebago Deal

Very thrashy, with lovely 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' plinky piano

Sabotage – Beastie Boys

If you don't like this song generally then you're a twat. If you don't do as I did and jump off the bus in the style of a 70s cop (getting off the bus) when fate brings the "Can't stand it" bit just as you reach the end of your journey then you're a massive twat. Cheers Owen, I think everyone on my commute now thinks I'm a freak.

That's a lovely image. Ace.

Fixed – Dan le Sac

I do like him..he's very clever and very eloquent, but I do always have the urge to listen to a proper MC straight afterwards.

And this is why I really wanted some stuff from you - I know I like it, but don't know where to start. As you'll see from my review.

Blood on our hands (Justice Remix) – Death from above 1979

Justice simply never run out of lovely squelchy basslines. I salute them and their crazy French analogue sounds..

Justice – phamtom pt 2 (Soulwax remix) – Soulwax

I like the twist - a Justice remix followed by a remix of Justice. This one's very intense, with a fucking ace build and release bit at the end.

We are your friends – Justice vs simian

Methinks Owen likes Justice. The vocal on this has just always really grated with me, and I find it difficult to listen to. They're no friends of mine. Do you see what I did there?

Yeah, been listening to this kind of stuff a fair bit recently, but again, it's away from what I know. Thought they all kind of fit together alright.

One more time – Daft Punk

Classic band, not actually one of my favourites though.

It's a One More Time and, I think off the top of my head, Digital Love live mix thing.

All my friends – LCD soundsystem

They're a band that have pretty much passed me by, but I have to say I really like it. Arcade Firey vocals over a really hypnotic piano.

1901 – Phoenix

This is taken from an album called Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. You can't fail with an album title like that. This is fairly bog standard guitar pop, but kudos for the retarded album title.

High voltage – Eagles of Death Metal

You've gotta love Eagles of Death Metal. The missus went to see them at a ladies only show at a London strip club a couple of years back. I was jealous, and I'm not even sure whether I was jealous of the band or the girls. In fairness, they usually work better as a live act than on record, but this is awesome sleaziness.

Not sure I'd have been happy with that! Heh.

Why does it hurt – Hot Snakes

Not what I'd normally listen to, but I really like this; quality three chord garage rock.

RFTC offshoot.

A Pillar of salt – The Thermals

See above, except this one sounds weirdly mixed, the vocals and guitar are far too high compared to the rhythm section. Get back in to the studio, Thermals..

TK put this on my Secret Santa a couple of years back. Top band.

So down on – Rival Schools

It has some really nice elements - I like the vocals during the verse, and it has some very nice wonky guitar licks, but I kind of feel like it's a little less than the sum of its parts. I should be careful, I'm pretty sure Owen loves Rival Schools.

Again, it's one of my favourite albums, so probably ended up putting on one of the less instant songs. There were a couple of killer singles.

Massive night – The Hold Steady

Really like this, cheeky organ and a mix of loads of classic rock 'n' roll, right down to the Ramonesy call and response vocals

No pussy blues – Grinderman

Fucking love Nick Cave, fucking love this song. It's filthy but a bit insecure, and grooves like a bitch. Typical Nick Cave then, really.

When I stayed in Brighton last year, the B&B owner was telling me he saw NC in the Early Learning Centre with his kids. He told his own kids to stay away from the bad man! I'd have been telling mine to go make friends and try to get invited round to play.

Tv party – Black Flag

Ah, Mr Rollins. Very Ramonesy again, but quite anglophile as well. Haven't heard it in years, I like it, but it very much reminds me of those really studenty recipes/tips that used to be on late at night on channel four, where they would sing everything that they did. I'm really hoping someone else remembers what I'm talking about.

Repeater- Fugazi

Wow, we're in a section of bands I've not heard in years. As usual with Fugazi, the bass playing is mighty, mighty impressive

Cerebra – Hundred Reasons

Very heavy, and very loud.

Calculate the risk – Jetplane Landing

This sounds like myriad people, from a bit of Talking Heads in the vocals to Pavement and even a bit of Elvis Costello. They're not as good as any of them, obviously, but I do like it.

The last four didn't really flow with the rest of it, but I ran out of inspiration by then!

Overall, it's obvious that a fuck load of work went into both discs - far more than in mine that's for sure. There's loads of changes in tempo and style, and they all work well with each other. There's some stuff both familiar and hitherto unknown that I think is absolutely superb, and I will definitely be investigating some of those further. Cheers Owen. My only disappointment is that while listening to one of the songs I wrote the following as a note:

"sounds like Elton John bumming David Bowie in the early 1970s. Gay as a window, but that's no bad thing." I can't remember for the life of me what song that's the description to.. Rollins? Cave?

People, please rep this man for a splendid review.