You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Eduardo gets a two match ban

Mendoza

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying a one match ban? Is there really that big of a difference? Look at the group Arsenal are in, they wont need him.

A fine would've been fuckin pointless altogether with the money he is on.

Retrospective yellow card and a suspended 1 or 2 match ban if the same offence is committed this season, maybe?

Just seems crazy that if the ref spots it you only get a booking, yet this way he's getting a totally different punishment. Ok, his team scored a goal as a result of his dive, but it doesn't add up.

I'll have to be honest , I think that the hysteria over diving is a bit strange.

Sure it's cheating ,but isn't every deliberate foul on a player committed to gain an advantage ? I've never seen he automatic chopping of a winger if he skins the full back referred to as a plague.

It's not as if diving is ever going to finish a players career or cause great physical harm like some 'over the top' tackles or use of elbows.

It's a plague because unlike the scenario that you gave, it's gone unpunished for so long that now everyone is doing it. Kids in parks even. It's become systemic.

Don't get me wrong I don't like it or agree with it , but I just think talk of it

'ruining the game' etc. is overestimating it's importance and impact.

To me it is a relatively minor niggle.

Don't get me wrong I don't like it or agree with it , but I just think talk of it

'ruining the game' etc. is overestimating it's importance and impact.

To me it is a relatively minor niggle.

I see what you mean, but I don't know, the fact that there are players out there whose whole is built around diving just sticks in my craw. I remember when diving essentially didn't exist and to go from that to where we are today seems a shame. Especially when it was so inevitable and all it required was a bit of leadership on the part of the authorities who of course were too busy off negotiating TV rights and such like.

I see what you mean, but I don't know, the fact that there are players out there whose whole is built around diving just sticks in my craw. I remember when diving essentially didn't exist and to go from that to where we are today seems a shame. Especially when it was so inevitable and all it required was a bit of leadership on the part of the authorities who of course were too busy off negotiating TV rights and such like.

I agree with all of that Speedy , but realistically the game has sold its soul to become a billion pound monster & ethics are always likely to be stretched in that situation.

Rugby Union is much farther behind football in professional development but you only have to see amazing issues like 'Bloodgate' to see how quickly the slippery slope appears.

Retrospective yellow card and a suspended 1 or 2 match ban if the same offence is committed this season, maybe?

Just seems crazy that if the ref spots it you only get a booking, yet this way he's getting a totally different punishment. Ok, his team scored a goal as a result of his dive, but it doesn't add up.

And what would that punishment do to deter everyone else from diving? Seriously? I don't care if UEFA stick to their guns and do this with everyone or not because I sincerely believe they wont. But as a starting point for clamping down on diving you could not ask for better.

Also, I personally think that players should still be punished with a ban even if they have been carded for it during the game. What is this bullshit about "Oh the ref spotted that, we can't do anything about it" Utter bollocks that. Referees aren't the ones who decide to add an extra match or two to a player's ban after going through the evidence again, so clearly the fa's can do something about certain things after the fact and choose to stay away from others. If a player does something against the rules he should be made accountable to the full extent of his crime whether seen by the ref or not.

And what would that punishment do to deter everyone else from diving? Seriously? I don't care if UEFA stick to their guns and do this with everyone or not because I sincerely believe they wont. But as a starting point for clamping down on diving you could not ask for better.

Also, I personally think that players should still be punished with a ban even if they have been carded for it during the game. What is this bullshit about "Oh the ref spotted that, we can't do anything about it" Utter bollocks that. Referees aren't the ones who decide to add an extra match or two to a player's ban after going through the evidence again, so clearly the fa's can do something about certain things after the fact and choose to stay away from others. If a player does something against the rules he should be made accountable to the full extent of his crime whether seen by the ref or not.

Agree. Hit everyone that looks like they dive with a 2 match ban after the match. I really do hope they have the balls to continue this, however knowing UEFA/FIFA, they don't and it will just fizzle out.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolute bollocks. I was hoping they'd stick to their guns as this could have made a difference. It would have caused problems at first but when players got the message that if they dived there's a good chance they'd get banned then it would happen at lot less.

I only feel strongly cos diving is the one thing i hate more than anything else in football. Well, no, that's Gary Neville, obviously but diving is the one aspect of the game i hate the most. I know you get cheats in other sports but there isn't another game where a fully grown man is prepared to jump on the floor and scream in fake pain to get another player sent off the pitch. It's even worse when accompanied by a high pitch squeal, i cringe everytime one of our players does it.

They had a chance to at least start to make a difference here. As usual, they fucked it up.

BBC SPORT | Football | Europe | Uefa overturns Eduardo diving ban

Uefa overturns Eduardo diving ban

Eduardo won a spot-kick after going down in the penalty area

Eduardo wins a penalty after going down in the penalty area

Uefa has overturned its decision to ban Arsenal striker Eduardo for two Champions League games for diving.

The Croat was suspended after being found guilty of diving to win a penalty in the Champions League qualifier against Celtic on 26 August.

But on Monday, Uefa accepted Arsenal's appeal and he will now be eligible to play in their opening two Group H ties.

"We are grateful the right decision has been reached in this case," a Gunners statement said.

"We were able to show there was contact between the keeper and Eduardo and that the decision should be annulled.

"We fully support the drive for fair play in football and believe it is important that Uefa provides clear and comprehensive standards that will be consistently enforced going forward.

"We are glad to put this incident behind us and concentrate on the games ahead."

Arsenal had called the initial decision by Uefa "deeply flawed".

A Uefa statement on Monday said: "Following examination of all the evidence, notably the declarations of both the referee and the referees' assessor, as well as the various video footage, it was not established to our satisfaction that the referee had been deceived in taking his decision on the penalty."

Arsenal begin their Champions League group stage campaign with a trip to the Maurice Dufrasne Stadium to face Standard on Wednesday.

Agree. Hit everyone that looks like they dive with a 2 match ban after the match. I really do hope they have the balls to continue this, however knowing UEFA/FIFA, they don't and it will just fizzle out.

It was all too predictable unfortunately. Useless cunts.

UEFA are a bunch of gutless cowards. Now they've just gone and given Ronaldo, Drogba, Robben and every other cheating diver to continue their antics with impunity.

This was a golden opportunity for UEFA to clamp down on this practice that is ruining football but instead they've given into the cheats.

Cheats never prosper? They fucking well do in football!