You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Well Rafa did get eggy with Valencia when we enquired before and one of their PR guys told the papers.

Perhaps this time Rafa just put in a bid and made it clear that, if Valencia want the transfer to go through, they must keep their gobs shut.

I am confident that Silva will be a Liverpool player by the end of the transfer window.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a gut feeling that one of the virgins outside taking pictures of the steam engine currently residing in platform 7 will not get sex tonight.

I reckon my one is more likely.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I have a gut feeling that one of the virgins outside taking pictures of the steam engine currently residing in platform 7 will not get sex tonight.

I reckon my one is more likely.

You'd be right

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/390539/REDS-BATTLE-REAL-FOR-SILVA-Madrid-ready-to-move-in-on-Anfield-target.html

REDS BATTLE REAL FOR SILVA

Madrid ready to move in on Anfield target

silva_280x420_47566a.jpg

WANTED MAN - Valencia goal star David Silva

By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 04/07/2009

LIVERPOOL are facing another battle with Real Madrid over long-term target David Silva.

Rafa Benitez is ready to revive a bid for the Valencia star if he is forced to sell Xabi Alonso, 27, to Real for £25million.

But the Kop boss fears England's new 50 per cent tax law and the poor Euro rate are making it impossible to compete with La Liga sides.

Real are closing in on £20m Silva, which would scupper Benitez's plans to use funds from Alonso's sale to recruit the Spaniard.

Benitez is also prepared to sacrifice midfielder Alberto Riera, 27, to raise funds.

BARCA MOVE IN ON JAVIER MASCHERANO | Liverpool in fight to keep Argentina star | Sport|Football | News Of The World

BARCA MOVE IN ON JAVIER MASCHERANO

Liverpool in fight to keep Argentina star

masch_280x420_47738a.jpg

BARCA TARGET - Javier Mascherano

BARCELONA coach Pep Guardiola has told the club to go ahead with the pursuit of midfielder Javier Mascherano even though Yaya Toure has signed a new deal.

The Spanish giants still believe they can grab Mascherano, 25, despite Liverpool offering to up the Argentinian's wages to £90,000 a week in a desperate attempt to keep him.

Toure's contract extension looked to have ended Barca's interest but Guardiola wants to use the Ivory Coast star in the central defensive role he occupied at times last season.

Versatility

His versatility has persuaded Guardiola the club could accommodate another holding midfielder and the Barca coach is a big fan of £25m-rated Mascherano.

But the Spanish champs know Liverpool are unlikely to let both Mascherano and Real Madrid target Xabi Alonso go.

So if Alonso stays, expect Barca to crank up their Mascherano chase.

REDS BATTLE REAL FOR SILVA | Madrid ready to move in on Anfield target | Sport | News Of The World

REDS BATTLE REAL FOR SILVA

Madrid ready to move in on Anfield target

silva_280x420_47566a.jpg

WANTED MAN - Valencia goal star David Silva

LIVERPOOL are facing another battle with Real Madrid over long-term target David Silva.

Rafa Benitez is ready to revive a bid for the Valencia star if he is forced to sell Xabi Alonso, 27, to Real for £25million.

But the Kop boss fears England's new 50 per cent tax law and the poor Euro rate are making it impossible to compete with La Liga sides.

Real are closing in on £20m Silva, which would scupper Benitez's plans to use funds from Alonso's sale to recruit the Spaniard.

Benitez is also prepared to sacrifice midfielder Alberto Riera, 27, to raise funds.

IF that is the case, would Valencia not be more inclined to deal with us based on the idea of having a full spanish international in their side as well as a few quid?

Silva doesn't strike me as a player who will go where the money is and I believe he would make his choice based on where he feels will be better for his career.

At Real he would know he was second choice, at Liverpool he has always been first, that is one card Rafa holds above Real in this one for me, another is that Torres has issued a come and play here plea to the player which surely is inviting to anyone.

YOU PUT CASH BEFORE HONOUR! | Pepe Reina blasts Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez | Sport | News Of The World

PEPE REINA has hit out at Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez for snubbing Liverpool and opting for the riches on offer at Manchester City.

The Spanish keeper was a key part of the Reds side that finished just four points below Manchester United in the club's best Premier League season for years.

But instead of adding to the squad over the summer, Reina has so far seen two transfer targets turn down the chance of a move to Anfield and could also see team-mates like Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano leave Liverpool in search of moves abroad.

Opportunity

Barry looked a certainty to arrive on Merseyside in the close season after missing out on a move from Aston Villa 12 months ago.

But City seized the opportunity to snatch the player by offering him £120,000 a week before Liverpool had a chance to put in place the finance to sign him.

Tevez has been offered £140,000 a week to move to Eastlands after failing to agree a deal to extend his career at Old Trafford.

Pole

Liverpool also thought they were in pole position to land the Argentine by offering him Champions League football. Instead, the pair look to have chosen the money available at City. And Reina believes they should have prioritised their prospects of achievement above their wages.

He said: "Apparently, they moved for the money. That is their decision but I also think it is their problem if they cannot see that Liverpool is a bigger club.

"It's up to them what they do but let me tell them that I am very proud to play for Liverpool. We can offer European football and I think that should have been a consideration for them.

Honour

"Everybody knows what it is to play for Liverpool. It's a pleasure and a tremendous honour. I am surprised they didn't consider these things. Some things in a player's career should be more important than money."

Liverpool's latest balance sheet shows why they appear unable to offer anywhere near the kind of lucrative wages City are tempting players with at present.

Figures announced last month showed that joint owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks are struggling to service the £350million loan they took out to buy the club.

Kop Holdings, the parent company that owns Liverpool, lost nearly £43m last year and backers RBS have moved to assure fans that their club is safe.

As it stands, manager Rafa Benitez is having to sell players before he can strengthen his side.

Fighting

Even so, Reina, 26, insists Liverpool will be strong enough come the start of the season.

He said: "At Liverpool, you have to be fighting for the title and that's what we will be doing this year.

"We are involved in four competitions and just targeting one of them is not enough. The big one of the Premier League would definitely be best."

Well in Chris ya tosser

I don't quite see what the problem is with any of those articles

"Everybody knows what it is to play for Liverpool. It's a pleasure and a tremendous honour. I am surprised they didn't consider these things. Some things in a player's career should be more important than money."

Nicely put Pepe......

YOU PUT CASH BEFORE HONOUR! | Pepe Reina blasts Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez | Sport | News Of The World

PEPE REINA has hit out at Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez for snubbing Liverpool and opting for the riches on offer at Manchester City.

The Spanish keeper was a key part of the Reds side that finished just four points below Manchester United in the club's best Premier League season for years.

But instead of adding to the squad over the summer, Reina has so far seen two transfer targets turn down the chance of a move to Anfield and could also see team-mates like Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano leave Liverpool in search of moves abroad.

Barry looked a certainty to arrive on Merseyside in the close season after missing out on a move from Aston Villa 12 months ago.

But City seized the opportunity to snatch the player by offering him £120,000 a week before Liverpool had a chance to put in place the finance to sign him.

Tevez has been offered £140,000 a week to move to Eastlands after failing to agree a deal to extend his career at Old Trafford.

Liverpool also thought they were in pole position to land the Argentine by offering him Champions League football. Instead, the pair look to have chosen the money available at City. And Reina believes they should have prioritised their prospects of achievement above their wages.

He said: "Apparently, they moved for the money. That is their decision but I also think it is their problem if they cannot see that Liverpool is a bigger club.

"It's up to them what they do but let me tell them that I am very proud to play for Liverpool. We can offer European football and I think that should have been a consideration for them.

Let's just send Pepe over to get the deal done!

Liverpool's latest balance sheet shows why they appear unable to offer anywhere near the kind of lucrative wages City are tempting players with at present.

Figures announced last month showed that joint owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks are struggling to service the £350million loan they took out to buy the club.

Kop Holdings, the parent company that owns Liverpool, lost nearly £43m last year and backers RBS have moved to assure fans that their club is safe.

As it stands, manager Rafa Benitez is having to sell players before he can strengthen his side.

Yeah we had to let go of massive first teamers like Pennant and Leto before we could spend 17.5m we are clearly done for. In fact we are the only club ever to be in managable debt and should just pack it all in now. Also forget the fact that Rafa said we can still sign players without selling because he has to lie to us now.... :wallbutt:

Even so, Reina, 26, insists Liverpool will be strong enough come the start of the season.

He said: "At Liverpool, you have to be fighting for the title and that's what we will be doing this year.

"We are involved in four competitions and just targeting one of them is not enough. The big one of the Premier League would definitely be best."

Pepe gets it and more credit to the lad for it. I'm proud to have a keeper of his class and ability playing here, best we've had in years.

The name at the top of them, Andy.

Just think it's pathetic, frankly

I'm hardly his biggest fan, but I fail to see the point in indulging in snide shithouse digs from behind an internet connection

It's the done thing.

People go on about this place being Bascombe central or Parry's mouthpiece or whatever bu the shit he gets on here is just as bad as on any other site.

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Falcao attracting interest

Radamel Falcao has admitted that he could be about to play his last match for River Plate as speculation intensifies surrounding his future.

Benfica are understood to have made an offer for the Colombia international, while Porto have also been linked and Liverpool are reportedly interested as well.

Falcao, who claimed 12 months ago that he was a transfer target for Arsenal, is aware that a number of clubs are keeping tabs on his progress.

He only recently signed a contract extension with River Plate but is now looking forward to embarking on a new challenge in Europe.

"I know about the interest of several teams so this match against Estudiantes could be my last one at River," the 23-year-old told the Argentine press.

"I am happy because I have reached to an agreement with the officials for renewing my contract.

"Besides that it had expired on 30th June, I didn't want to leave River being out of contract, I want to River to receive the amount of money the club deserves for my transfer.

"I have been at River since I was very young so I owe many things to this wonderful club."

I don't quite see what the problem is with any of those articles

Is right and neither do I. It has to be said that when it comes to transfer info, Chris is usually not far off the money, it's just when he expresses a subjective opinion that he tends to get peoples' backs up. He told us that Keane was a target last Summer a few weeks before it was obvious he was on the transfer radar.

I'm not a fan of Chris in his match reports and analysis any more, but that goes with the territory. He is no longer paid to be the head of Liverpool's Cheerleader corps, he is paid to dish dirt and create sensationalism wherever possible, that is what being a writer for the NOTW is all about, but when it comes to targets and transfer info, he usually isn't far wrong.

Just because people dont like it doesn;t mean it isn't true.

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Falcao attracting interest

Radamel Falcao has admitted that he could be about to play his last match for River Plate as speculation intensifies surrounding his future.

Benfica are understood to have made an offer for the Colombia international, while Porto have also been linked and Liverpool are reportedly interested as well.

Falcao, who claimed 12 months ago that he was a transfer target for Arsenal, is aware that a number of clubs are keeping tabs on his progress.

He only recently signed a contract extension with River Plate but is now looking forward to embarking on a new challenge in Europe.

"I know about the interest of several teams so this match against Estudiantes could be my last one at River," the 23-year-old told the Argentine press.

"I am happy because I have reached to an agreement with the officials for renewing my contract.

"Besides that it had expired on 30th June, I didn't want to leave River being out of contract, I want to River to receive the amount of money the club deserves for my transfer.

"I have been at River since I was very young so I owe many things to this wonderful club."

hehe, unlike a certain Owen in 2004