You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Reds duo agree new deals

Spearing and Darby staying with Liverpool

The Reds have been in talks with the home-grown pair for the last few months as they look to secure the duo on long-term deals.

The pair are entering the final year of their existing deals and Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is keen to reward them with three-year extensions.

Midfielder Spearing, who captained the FA Youth Cup-winning side in 2007, made his debut for the first team last season and impressed as a substitute in the UEFA Champions League win over Real Madrid.

Full-back Darby is highly-rated at Anfield and he made three appearances in the first team last term.

The duo are expected to put pen-to-paper on the contracts next week when Liverpool return for pre-season training.

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Reds duo agree new deals

Been agreed for months, it's not Ste or Jay who haven't signed the deal's off, its the club.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kenny
Been agreed for months, it's not Ste or Jay who haven't signed the deal's off, its the club.

Same as Agger then.

I hate doing this.

Basically, I've got updates on Babels situation since the end of the season, and I know that a couple of clubs have put in bids for him. They were very low though, and everything died.

From what I hear, we've made inquiries about Alexis Sanchez from Udinese, and Udinese are interested in Babel as a makeweight.

Obviously, take it with a pinch of salt (i am) - but I do trust the person who gives me this information.

Anyway, just thought id share that.

I hate doing this.

Basically, I've got updates on Babels situation since the end of the season, and I know that a couple of clubs have put in bids for him. They were very low though, and everything died.

From what I hear, we've made inquiries about Alexis Sanchez from Udinese, and Udinese are interested in Babel as a makeweight.

Obviously, take it with a pinch of salt (i am) - but I do trust the person who gives me this information.

Anyway, just thought id share that.

Babel for Alexs Sanchez would be great. Sanchez is still very raw, but he's HUGELY talented

Spanish press reckon we've requested €50m for Mascherano, it should put off Barce anyway.

Thats the way to behave and if they agree to pay then we just write next season off and put the money in the bank.

I just dont see anyone in world football that we could buy that can do what Mascher does for us

Thats the way to behave and if they agree to pay then we just write next season off and put the money in the bank.

I just dont see anyone in world football that we could buy that can do what Mascher does for us

Don't talk such utter crap lad. Mascherano is a defensive midfielder, a very good one at that. But it is much 'easier' to stop the play than create it; for that reson alone I thik Alonso is the most important of the two. If the stories are true (and Javier has not exactly put the rumors to bed) then I think he is one ungrateful and cheeky cunt. At £50M, I would certainly cash in!

Don't talk such utter crap lad. Mascherano is a defensive midfielder, a very good one at that. But it is much 'easier' to stop the play than create it; for that reson alone I thik Alonso is the most important of the two. If the stories are true (and Javier has not exactly put the rumors to bed) then I think he is one ungrateful and cheeky cunt. At £50M, I would certainly cash in!

*cough* Madrid and Makele *cough*

*cough* Wenger and Flamini *cough*

*cough* Hamann and Istanbul *cough*

I'm sorry but that's hardly utter crap, I just call that opinions. It's not as if he's saying Lucas is more important than Xabi. Masch over Xabi, or Xabi over Masch, in both ways it's a very tight call. Such a post would have been ridiculed a year ago, after the season Masch (and Xabi by comparison) had, which was on a par with Torres, and mind you how good Torres first season was. No need to try to force your opinions on people as facts.

Where's he from? Mexico?

Chile. And, I confirm, very very promising player. But, I would be very surprised if we don't get some serious competition for him, and not even sure Udinese wants to sell him after just one season especially with D'Agostino looking like the one they are more willing to sell.

I think AC Milan were offering Flamini back to Arsenal in some sort of deal for Adebayor. This leads me to believe that he is not seen as indispensible in Milan. Therefore, if Mascherano does really want out, and we do the deal with Barca at a large price, we could do worse than spend some of that on Flamini. He did a very good job at Arsenal and to my mind they took a step backwards when he left. He would offer the energy and tackling in front of the back four that Mascherano does. I can't remember his age, but I seem to remember he still had years to go.

I think AC Milan were offering Flamini back to Arsenal in some sort of deal for Adebayor. This leads me to believe that he is not seen as indispensible in Milan. Therefore, if Mascherano does really want out, and we do the deal with Barca at a large price, we could do worse than spend some of that on Flamini. He did a very good job at Arsenal and to my mind they took a step backwards when he left. He would offer the energy and tackling in front of the back four that Mascherano does. I can't remember his age, but I seem to remember he still had years to go.

Born 7/03/84, so he's 25. Decent player at Arsenal, and I'd agree that they have missed him since he departed. Not seen much of Milan this past season, so can't comment on how he's been playing.

Definitely worth a look if The Chief does go.

Great shout

Reports in Portugal suggest Liverpool are set to launch a surprise bid for long-term Everton target Joao Moutinho this summer as speculation continues to link playmaker Xabi Alonso to Madrid. This would be a major blow to David Moyes who has been tracking the mercurial midfielder for 18 months.

Rafa Benitez may have publicly declared that neither Alonso or Javier Mascherano will be leaving Anfield but is planning replacements as he’d rather cash in now than having disillusioned players within the squad.

Moutinho has been linked with a move to Goodison since last summer with the player himself acknowledging Everton’s interest. The Portuguese international had this to say last season, “What I want to do right now is achieve a good season with Sporting.

“What is going to happen next season? Moving abroad is an option and I feel ready to make the step up to such challenge.

“I`m aware that Everton are interested in me.

“I must say they are a good club and Nuno Valente told me positive things about them.”

Everton has a big money bid rejected last summer but are expected to return with more offers as the club look to build on a highly successful 2008/09 season which saw the Toffees reach the FA Cup final. It is not only Liverpool who have been linked but also Manchester United. Last month the Portuguese press claimed Sporting were offering Moutinho in exchange for their former star Nani but whether United were interested remains to be seen.

Sporting released a statement last season detailing the terms of a new deal Moutinho signed announcing that the previous release clause of €25 million (£22.2 million) has been lowered. The player has also waived the right to a commission from any future transfer on top of losing the right to collect a payment of 10% of any offer over £13.3m that Sporting reject. This suggests the club are maximising the amount of money they will make from any transfer.

The humbling of Sporting by Bayern Munich in the Champions League has left many of the club’s young starlets eyeing moves away from Portugal with Miguel Veloso also set to move abroad with numerous Premier League clubs monitoring his situation.

Moutinho has also been linked with Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal in the past but it’s highly unlikely any of these three clubs will be bidding. The 22-year-old is already captain of his club side (the 2nd youngest player to ever do so) and a regular in the Portuguese national team. Moutinho also played in all 4 of Portugal’s Euro 2008 matches (3 starts).

Moutinho has a proven track record at every level of club and international football. He made his Sporting first team debut at 17 and was brought into the national side at 18. It’s only since the 2006 World Cup that the youngster has managed to cement his place in the national side and is now regarded as one of the key players in the squad.

In his first season in the Sporting first team, the club reached the Uefa Cup final before losing out to Russian side CSKA Moscow. However, by beating 2 English clubs in that run (Middlesbrough & Newcastle) he was brought to the Premier League’s attention and his progress since has been monitored very closely.

Despite being a creative player he has shown great consistency belying his tender age. Moutinho has made 135 career League appearances (132 starts) for Sporting and scored 16 goals. He has also won 23 caps (1 goal) which is impressive considering the type of player he is and the abundance of attacking talent which is produced by his nation. He is skilful midfield player but also has a strong engine and pace which would make him a different proposition to Alonso in the Liverpool midifield.

If Everton could pull off this signing then it would be a bold ambitious move by the club and enhance an ever improving small squad at Goodison. However, interest from Merseyside rivals Liverpool in Moutinho will be unwelcome news for Moyes as he continues to build Everton into a side capable of competing for a Champions League place.

Joao Moutinho: Liverpool to Snatch £18M Stylish Long-Term Everton Target?

Moutinho was in the Marriott Hotel in town on Friday having talks with Everton