You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

You've come to this conclusion from hearing about him?

He's going to Juve anyway.

Someone's opinion that I respect, so yes. I don't really watch Italian football and he's watching it constantly... so yes, I'd say it was an informed opinion as well.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool are among several clubs interested in signing Gaetano D’Agostino, the Udinese playmaker, but they are also considering a move for Marek Hamsik, if Xabi Alonso leaves.

Udinese have said that D’Agostino would cost £15.4 million, but that he is likely to join Juventus. “I can confirm the interest of the foreign club [Liverpool],” Sergio Gasperin, the Udinese sporting director, said. Hamsik, a Slovakia playmaker, was top scorer in his first season with Napoli two years ago.

Liverpool chase Udinese playmaker Gaetano D’Agostino | Premier League - Times Online

Does anyone else think signing Italian' is a bad move?

Whenever I see us linked with an Italian I hope it's bullshit, I just get the feeling the majority of them will be rubbish in the England.

Whenever I see us linked with an Italian I hope it's bullshit, I just get the feeling the majority of them will be rubbish in the England.

I haven't seen much of Gaetano D’Agostino, but Marek Hamsik is an excellent player, although I'm not sure where we would fit him. His best position is probably where Gerrard currently plays.

Aye.

I hope he does go to the Mancs. They need better.

For many reasons I can understand why people would want him here, but my head says exactly what your saying, he's washed up and if Fergie is afterhim, thats a good thing. Whatever Owen has left int he tank, he's not Ronaldo or Tevez.

ps The fs thing yesterday, in the current climate being on here is dodgy enough, so swearing will only set the alarm bells of and they will investigate what im looking at, so better to keep it simples.

Hamsik would be a good signing, don't know about the other guy. Italians are generally shit (except Zola of course) so I hope we don't buy one!

Yeah. Awful, awful footballers which is why their national team will never win a World Cup.

I can't recall that many that have torn up the English league to be honest.

there has been a couple, but i think you are right, I am not sure I would buy anyone from serie A, I can't think of anyone who would improve us.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I can't recall that many that have torn up the English league to be honest.

This scouting lark must be a piece of piss, I can just see it now

"See this kid, going to be a world beater, and we can get him for free"

"Where's he from?"

"Naples"

"Fuck that then"

Serie A's best players - Veron, Shevchenko etc are have disasters here.

I was thinking more of Zola, De Matteo, Taibi (he was a success in my eyes), Vialli and Gullitt etc.

I wouldn't dismiss a younger player, but as much as I enjoy watching him play I would be very weary of siging Pirlo for instance.

Serie A's best players - Veron, Shevchenko etc are have disasters here.

Serie A's best players have traditionally been native defenders and foreign attackers. The former have never really travelled to England, while the latter typically speaking wanted to play in Italy rather than England. So I think it's difficult to judge this issue: there's very little evidence to go on. Apart from, as I said, the evidence of a reluctance to travel, which is somewhat damning in itself...

Reports in Portugal suggest Liverpool are set to launch a surprise bid for long-term Everton target Joao Moutinho this summer as speculation continues to link playmaker Xabi Alonso to Madrid. This would be a major blow to David Moyes who has been tracking the mercurial midfielder for 18 months.

Rafa Benitez may have publicly declared that neither Alonso or Javier Mascherano will be leaving Anfield but is planning replacements as he’d rather cash in now than having disillusioned players within the squad.

Moutinho has been linked with a move to Goodison since last summer with the player himself acknowledging Everton’s interest. The Portuguese international had this to say last season, “What I want to do right now is achieve a good season with Sporting.

“What is going to happen next season? Moving abroad is an option and I feel ready to make the step up to such challenge.

“I`m aware that Everton are interested in me.

“I must say they are a good club and Nuno Valente told me positive things about them.”

Everton has a big money bid rejected last summer but are expected to return with more offers as the club look to build on a highly successful 2008/09 season which saw the Toffees reach the FA Cup final. It is not only Liverpool who have been linked but also Manchester United. Last month the Portuguese press claimed Sporting were offering Moutinho in exchange for their former star Nani but whether United were interested remains to be seen.

Sporting released a statement last season detailing the terms of a new deal Moutinho signed announcing that the previous release clause of €25 million (£22.2 million) has been lowered. The player has also waived the right to a commission from any future transfer on top of losing the right to collect a payment of 10% of any offer over £13.3m that Sporting reject. This suggests the club are maximising the amount of money they will make from any transfer.

The humbling of Sporting by Bayern Munich in the Champions League has left many of the club’s young starlets eyeing moves away from Portugal with Miguel Veloso also set to move abroad with numerous Premier League clubs monitoring his situation.

Moutinho has also been linked with Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal in the past but it’s highly unlikely any of these three clubs will be bidding. The 22-year-old is already captain of his club side (the 2nd youngest player to ever do so) and a regular in the Portuguese national team. Moutinho also played in all 4 of Portugal’s Euro 2008 matches (3 starts).

Moutinho has a proven track record at every level of club and international football. He made his Sporting first team debut at 17 and was brought into the national side at 18. It’s only since the 2006 World Cup that the youngster has managed to cement his place in the national side and is now regarded as one of the key players in the squad.

In his first season in the Sporting first team, the club reached the Uefa Cup final before losing out to Russian side CSKA Moscow. However, by beating 2 English clubs in that run (Middlesbrough & Newcastle) he was brought to the Premier League’s attention and his progress since has been monitored very closely.

Despite being a creative player he has shown great consistency belying his tender age. Moutinho has made 135 career League appearances (132 starts) for Sporting and scored 16 goals. He has also won 23 caps (1 goal) which is impressive considering the type of player he is and the abundance of attacking talent which is produced by his nation. He is skilful midfield player but also has a strong engine and pace which would make him a different proposition to Alonso in the Liverpool midifield.

If Everton could pull off this signing then it would be a bold ambitious move by the club and enhance an ever improving small squad at Goodison. However, interest from Merseyside rivals Liverpool in Moutinho will be unwelcome news for Moyes as he continues to build Everton into a side capable of competing for a Champions League place.

http://community.footballpools.com/blog/2009/07/03/joao-moutinho-liverpool-to-snatch-18m-stylish-long-term-everton-target/

I was thinking more of Zola, De Matteo, Taibi (he was a success in my eyes), Vialli and Gullitt etc.

I wouldn't dismiss a younger player, but as much as I enjoy watching him play I would be very weary of siging Pirlo for instance.

Yes, Taibi was a success for us because it was funny seeing him screw up for the Mancs.

I wouldn't really class Gullit as a real success in English football because when he joined Chelsea it was in the twilight of his career, and his managerial career was a failure.

Not to mention the fact that Gullit isn't Italian but Dutch.