You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

13 minutes ago, Remmie said:

They are supposed to be 18 different beers and I see 2 the same. Splitting hairs but mildly annoying, perhaps as I am a bit cheesed off as they still haven't sent mine.

All pales. No stour or porters. 

No mains from me, but I saw you were hoping for darker brews 

Just now, RJ Fan club said:

I'll get over it! My Brewdog subscription arrived today which is strange because I cancelled it 3 weeks ago.

On 21/05/2021 at 23:47, Remmie said:

They are supposed to be 18 different beers and I see 2 the same. Splitting hairs but mildly annoying, perhaps as I am a bit cheesed off as they still haven't sent mine.

I sent a complaint email asking where my beers were and got them the next day. There were a few duplicates which was a shame but then saw a Vocation in there so was happy. Anyway it seems they have sent a 2nd crate today in error with mostly different beers but also the Vocation beer again and a 440ml NEIPA and I haven't been charged. Fucking result. 

Mrs TheBitch bought me a Blade. Superb piece of kit and the Blade is good too. 

Not a huge range of beers but the Moretti was a good pint. I’ve ordered a keg of Affligem and Tiger, because Tiger reminds me of when I was allowed to go to SE Asia. 

E7F0E961-7074-4A57-983E-A4E6BE435398.jpeg

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

Mrs TheBitch bought me a Blade. Superb piece of kit and the Blade is good too. 

Not a huge range of beers but the Moretti was a good pint. I’ve ordered a keg of Affligem and Tiger, because Tiger reminds me of when I was allowed to go to SE Asia. 

E7F0E961-7074-4A57-983E-A4E6BE435398.jpeg

Very swish mate. The beer tap looks good too btw.

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Is there anywhere in Liverpool where you can buy boxes of more obscure beer, I.e not supermarkets or bargain booze?

Dead Crafty across from the Ship & Mitre, which also sell stuff, is great but a little pricy.

There's a place out in Toxteth called Black Cat, not been there,  but their lists look alright.

The best one is The Beer Lab in Heswall, which is a little further out.

https://thebeerlab.co.uk/?goal=0_3a7f013789-4b6f405711-204831234&mc_cid=4b6f405711&mc_eid=b321ca276b

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Dead Crafy across from the Ship & Mitre, which also sell stuff, is great but a little pricy.

There's a place out in Toxteth called Black Cat, not been there,  but their lists look alright.

The best one is The Beer Lab in Heswall, which is a little further out.

https://thebeerlab.co.uk/?goal=0_3a7f013789-4b6f405711-204831234&mc_cid=4b6f405711&mc_eid=b321ca276b

I often get deliveries from Beer Lab. Good service. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/05/2021 at 00:01, RJ Fan club said:

Mine arrived the other day. 3 lagers the same and 2 pale ales which is a bit of a shame, can't argue with the price and look forward to trying all of them but no stouts or porters which is a bit shit

Same for me. A few of the same and all pale ale apart from one wheat beer, which was Polish, Surfer it was called. 

The Polish misses had it and one called Forest, which may well have been Polish as well whilst I drunk the others, so a win all round.

7 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Same for me. A few of the same and all pale ale apart from one wheat beer, which was Polish, Surfer it was called. 

The Polish misses had it and one called Forest, which may well have been Polish as well whilst I drunk the others, so a win all round.

Yeah I had forest and it is Polish, it somehow literally tasted of a forest as well, I liked it. 

8 hours ago, mattyq said:

Mine arrived the other day. 3 lagers the same and 2 pale ales which is a bit of a shame, can't argue with the price and look forward to trying all of them but no stouts or porters which is a bit shit

These 2 by any chance? 

IMG_20210527_065034.jpg

IMG_20210527_065049.jpg

On 26/05/2021 at 22:48, mattyq said:

On 27/05/2021 at 06:51, Remmie said:

These 2 by any chance? 

IMG_20210527_065034.jpg

IMG_20210527_065049.jpg

Same numbers of the above. 

On 15/05/2021 at 20:21, RJ Fan club said:

Gone local.

Also having a day in the office next Friday so I can visit their Tap Room. Can not wait.

DA0FE1C8-1A2B-4FDC-B524-4B5BAA38CCDC.jpeg

I got one of them on draft when I was in London. Fullers seem to have this new "craft" brand pubs and had a decent range. (Menu below)

On 26/05/2021 at 20:53, Section_31 said:

Is there anywhere in Liverpool where you can buy boxes of more obscure beer, I.e not supermarkets or bargain booze?

You could try aintree ale https://www.aintreeale.co.uk/

IMG_20210519_163133.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 29/05/2021 at 20:14, RJ Fan club said:

Best canned Saison I’ve had in a long long time 

E59AA800-A84A-4DE4-AB05-21817458F933.jpeg

I can never make my mind up of I like saisson or not. I wish it was more readily available. 

44 minutes ago, Elite said:

Got given a bottle of Greene King IPA which I really enjoyed, any recommendations of similar tasting IPA's?

It probably depends a bit what you liked about it. It's a long time since I have one. I would maybe try one of these,  although I would say they are a bit of a step up from Greene king. 

https://www.adnams.co.uk/beer/shop-by-taste_1/ale/jack-brand-mosaic-pale-ale-mini-keg.htm?productid=6925&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnueFBhChARIsAPu3YkQOUz9TenMxyJ2Sgl2wNSoU2WJ0yR9t3AaBhq-7-_N1aJ7ckplVkskaAvFvEALw_wcB

https://www.minikegworld.com/products/adnams-ghost-ship-mini-keg-5l?variant=37385185788062&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CedCommerceGoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnueFBhChARIsAPu3YkTMZMT9YZpd28bQ27VdkO7mCebW5G1dtql88qyCa41SVcL6r7-1DnMaAgcpEALw_wcB

https://www.wychwood.co.uk/beers/hobgoblin-ipa/

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to suspect I've got some kind of yeast intolerance. I bought some Amber ales and everytime I've had one I've been windy as fuck, then first thing the next day had to do a ferocious, exploding shit. Then I'm fine after that. I don't get this with lager though, which apparently is pasteurised while the yeast in ale is Live.

Pretty sure I never used to be like this though but I haven't had real ales for a while. Maybe I just need to get used to it again.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Starting to suspect I've got some kind of yeast intolerance. I bought some Amber ales and everytime I've had one I've been windy as fuck, then first thing the next day had to do a ferocious, exploding shit. Then I'm fine after that. I don't get this with lager though, which apparently is pasteurised while the yeast in ale is Live.

Pretty sure I never used to be like this though but I haven't had real ales for a while. Maybe I just need to get used to it again.

It depends on the lager and the ale. Until very recently all the supermarkets wouldn't sell beer that hadn't been filtered and pasteurised unless they were hooked up with a major brewery who took all the risk. I think in almost all cases in the craft section of the supermarket (lager or ale) it would be unpasteurised and in many cases unfiltered. Obviously down the pub it'd be a bit different. 

• Upvote 1