You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm properly fucked. I just got a few cans of Polly's from the beer shop on Walton Vale and picked these up in Tesco's this morning too. I probably won't even last till the match on Monday! 

IMG_20210313_120039.jpg

50 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

Buxton and Omnipollo collab from Tesco 

44BC54D9-1658-4449-B063-926DC0B36875.jpeg

I don't know whether to be pissed off or relieved that my local Tesco has a shit selection of craft stuff (they do carry Roaster Coaster which is very good though) - even the two nearest big Tescos don't carry much due to their locations (Cheetham Hill - big muslim population and Salford - dirty scrotes).

How was the Buxton/Omni @RJ Fan club

51 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

I don't know whether to be pissed off or relieved that my local Tesco has a shit selection of craft stuff (they do carry Roaster Coaster which is very good though) - even the two nearest big Tescos don't carry much due to their locations (Cheetham Hill - big muslim population and Salford - dirty scrotes).

It was a grower. By the end really enjoyed it. 

good balance of sweet and tarte.

would buy again, but sparingly. Think I’d rather spend the £5 trying something else in a independent bottle shop. 

I’ve put another Vocation order in today, but I’ve seen a lot of talk of Cloudwater and Deya on here and thinking I need to give these a whirl. 
Any hints or tips on where to start?

I’m on nights tonight so I’m looking on from the sidelines here with envious eyes. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

I’ve put another Vocation order in today, but I’ve seen a lot of talk of Cloudwater and Deya on here and thinking I need to give these a whirl. 

I’m on nights tonight so I’m looking on from the sidelines here with envious eyes. 

I don’t think you can go too far wrong with either.

If the two I’ve only be disappointed with the single hip series I went through last year. I’m sure some would say they’re a technical brewing triumph, but I was left wanting

The Dipas and DDH is where it’s at for me, but their basic IPA, pale ale or DDH Pale are a good start

Deya’s steady rolling man is a good start, but it’s pretty much d good.

Both of them are tbh.

1 hour ago, Red_or_Dead said:

I've had a can of Roaster Coaster in the fridge for ages. Might have to check it out.

47 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

See the link above with the discount, they sell all of it.

All of the CW water stuff is really good.

With Deya if you’ve not had them before stay away from the saturated series. The Something Good series are really good. In all honesty Deya are making some of the best beer in the world so you won’t go far wrong.

They have some Glass House as well which are a newish brewery doing really good things.

• Upvote 1

On 13/03/2021 at 16:48, RJ Fan club said:

Buxton and Omnipollo collab from Tesco 

44BC54D9-1658-4449-B063-926DC0B36875.jpeg

I gave that a whirl tonight. Really nice. Kind of wierd. The lemon makes it almost sour, it's certainly tart. But the malts have that biscuity taste you occasionally get on a pilsner. Perhaps makes it more lemon cheesecake than the lemon sorbet they call it. Nice beer though. 

I tried the salt, brewdog and vocation beers from Tesco tonight on the 4 for 8 quid.on the 440ml. They're all pretty nice, nothing amazing, but above average supermarket IPAs I would say. I think I preferred the brewdog, but maybe it just stood out more as it was so sweet. 

I've finished my night tonight with this Polly's beer. Wow. I can't make words for it. I think it's going to be my first 5 on untappd. 

IMG_20210315_225408.jpg

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I gave that a whirl tonight. Really nice. Kind of wierd. The lemon makes it almost sour, it's certainly tart. But the malts have that biscuity taste you occasionally get on a pilsner. Perhaps makes it more lemon cheesecake than the lemon sorbet they call it. Nice beer though. 

I tried the salt, brewdog and vocation beers from Tesco tonight on the 4 for 8 quid.on the 440ml. They're all pretty nice, nothing amazing, but above average supermarket IPAs I would say. I think I preferred the brewdog, but maybe it just stood out more as it was so sweet. 

I've finished my night tonight with this Polly's beer. Wow. I can't make words for it. I think it's going to be my first 5 on untappd. 

IMG_20210315_225408.jpg

I do like a Pollys. They can be a bit samey, but good and consistent.

I’ll look out for that Lebble, has a good colour 

I too had the rest of the new range £2/2.40 or 4 for £8 Tesco. Pretty average, some of them will be decent bbq beers I reckon, also had the new Northern Monk DDH (Faith in Futures) from there, was decent enough 

1 hour ago, RJ Fan club said:

I too had the rest of the new range £2/2.40 or 4 for £8 Tesco. Pretty average, some of them will be decent bbq beers I reckon, also had the new Northern Monk DDH (Faith in Futures) from there, was decent enough 

I didn't get any of the single can ones except the Buxton lemon beer as they didn't have them in. It was just the 4 for 8's I tried. The single cans are something for down the line. I've got loads of new beers here at the moment though. Shame there's no match for 3 weeks - perhaps I'll have to break that routine. 

2 hours ago, RJ Fan club said:

That’s exactly the same problem I have with Polly’s, I always feel like I’m drinking the same drink, very little variation.

Like you say though, solid beers.

1 minute ago, mattyq said:

Started watching these two, seem to know their stuff

I'm all in on Mild as well. Proper old man's beer

Boxcar did a double dark mild a month or two back and it's one of teh nicest beers I've ever had, glorious stuff.

Find it, it looks like this...

boxcar_double_dark_mild.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It is really good, so rich and smooth.

A nice break from some of the more abrasive beers currently being made.

Exactly my thing

Don't mind drinking some of the sharper stuff, Sours etc, in a beer garden on a hot day but otherwise not really

I bought some Aldi beers today. I don't recall getting them before. I had 2 with my meal tonight. Shite. I'm not looking forward to the other 3 or 4 I've got. The 2 I tried were lunar Lager, which was ok, but super ordinary. The 2nd was something called "Twice as Nice" which was apparently a Double IPA. I could barely taste any hops as it was so malt heavy and it was only 6.6%, which I don't think makes it a Double anyway.