You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Something special occured tonight

Antynwa

Mentioned it before, but watching that game there just seemed to be a 'will' about our play, we seemed for the first time in months like a unit. We seemed to show class, dignity, respect, we fought for every ball and every pass.

Every single one of our squad and management should be proud of that, it was something to admire, and something to remember for a long time.

I don't want to sound a miserable bastard, nor do I want to put a downer on things, but watching that tonight showed EXACTLY what I believe we lack in the league.

Balls. Big ones, Big balls to grab by, no fannying around, just 'proper footy' 11 men fighting for one another. Rafa's decisions where spot on, the team was spot on, everything about today was spot on.

Yossi proved his class, and although I'm a big critic of his, games like this should be the ones he should start, not Stoke Away for example.

If anyone wants to see what wins leagues, just look at tonight, guts and determination.

I'm a fickle football fan, 2 hours ago I could have booted Rafa out the door without moments thought, now I could cuddle him to bed. However Rafa, please, for the love of fucking god please, whatever you said tonight, whatever you fed the players. Keep it up. This is what we've been missing, 'will power' the willingness to get the fucking balls, grab them, squeeze them and go at the opposition. No fucking about, just fucking will power, the will to fucking win.

Tonight Rafa, this is the perfect example of what I want to see from you and your team, fucking balls.

Fucking Quality Night

Fucking Get in

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's alright doing it on the big glamour CL nights, but the true test of champions is going to the Brittania and Riverside and grinding wins out.

I knew people would start going over board after tonight and forget the limp league performances and silly off field nonsense that has stunted yet another title challenge.

We know we're good in Europe, it's high time the manager started instilling that belief in the league.

i think we have been doing this all season, its the breaking down of teams that we are not doing in the league, i have not seen anything new tonight that i have not seen all season, closing down, determination, it's always there.

I did

I smiled watching the game, if we had lost that game I would have been so proud of the team.

Something was different tonight, I would love to have known what was said at half time.

But yeah, we'll probably draw at the Riverside, but I just feel as if what we have been lacking this season showed itself in the form of a world class victory tonight.

Maybe it's the fear of losing Rafa? I don't know.

I just know I want to see more of it.

It's alright doing it on the big glamour CL nights, but the true test of champions is going to the Brittania and Riverside and grinding wins out.

I knew people would start going over board after tonight and forget the limp league performances and silly off field nonsense that has stunted yet another title challenge.

We know we're good in Europe, it's high time the manager started instilling that belief in the league.

I agree with all that.

But tonight was the missing 'it' it wasn't money, it wasn't a lack of Parry or anything.

It was 'hunger' determination and as I have constantly moaned about, grabbing the bull by the sodding horns.

Guest Ibetitsme7

what was special about it ?

we've been doing this for 5 years now

we are the best side in Europe at football over 2 legs

the difference is so big between domestic and European football it's almost like we're playing a whole different sport

we might be shit at downhill but we're untouchable in the old slalom

s'all in the hips see

Mentioned it before, but watching that game there just seemed to be a 'will' about our play, we seemed for the first time in months like a unit. We seemed to show class, dignity, respect, we fought for every ball and every pass.

Every single one of our squad and management should be proud of that, it was something to admire, and something to remember for a long time.

I don't want to sound a miserable bastard, nor do I want to put a downer on things, but watching that tonight showed EXACTLY what I believe we lack in the league.

Balls. Big ones, Big balls to grab by, no fannying around, just 'proper footy' 11 men fighting for one another. Rafa's decisions where spot on, the team was spot on, everything about today was spot on.

Yossi proved his class, and although I'm a big critic of his, games like this should be the ones he should start, not Stoke Away for example.

If anyone wants to see what wins leagues, just look at tonight, guts and determination.

I'm a fickle football fan, 2 hours ago I could have booted Rafa out the door without moments thought, now I could cuddle him to bed. However Rafa, please, for the love of fucking god please, whatever you said tonight, whatever you fed the players. Keep it up. This is what we've been missing, 'will power' the willingness to get the fucking balls, grab them, squeeze them and go at the opposition. No fucking about, just fucking will power, the will to fucking win.

Tonight Rafa, this is the perfect example of what I want to see from you and your team, fucking balls.

Fucking Quality Night

Fucking Get in

Fucking hell, did you really just praise Rafa then????

I'm going to rep you as I don't think you've ever done that before.

Fantastic result aside, the same problems are there. We're a counterpunching side, anyone that wants to come and "play" us, we'll give them a torrid time, we've seen it time and time again. Tonight was no different than Barca away or Juve away.

Its when the onus is on us to come out and play, when the opposition is happy to sit back, we're found wanting all to often.

Tonight was brilliant, the character and spirit in the side is there for all to see(Riera aside pehaps), but we didn't play all that much "football". Which is fucking fine in itself, its been proven to work for us in this competition, i've no problems with that. But when it comes to the Stoke's, the West Ham's. Lets go and play and express ourselves a bit eh??

Fucking hell, did you really just praise Rafa then????

I'm going to rep you as I don't think you've ever done that before.

I'll give Rafa praise when I feel he deserves it in the same way I feel he deserves to be criticised.

He played a part in an excellent night of football.

Whatever we where missing, whatever attitude displayed tonight that was what was missing.

Balls.

So chuffed, so fucking chuffed

It was a classic European away performance and Madrid never had a clue how to break us down and I never once thought they would beat us.

But to say we showed dignity and respect is slightly over egging it, don't you think?

Nah, I've not seen this sort of performance since the Chelsea 2007 Semis.

I don't get the fuss. We've played as poorly as we have all season but we scored from a set piece.

Peoples imaginations and pre-conceptions just make them believe we've been shitter in the league, we don't care about the league, Rafa doesn't care about the league, he can't win the league, but he's amazin in the champions league- its fucking nonsense.

I did

I smiled watching the game, if we had lost that game I would have been so proud of the team.

Something was different tonight, I would love to have known what was said at half time.

But yeah, we'll probably draw at the Riverside, but I just feel as if what we have been lacking this season showed itself in the form of a world class victory tonight.

Maybe it's the fear of losing Rafa? I don't know.

I just know I want to see more of it.

we were good in the 2nd half, we were not going all out for the win as 0-0 would have been fine, i don't get the point in something special tonight, i thought we were good, fantastic result, great job from the players. but i also seen the ball been giving away too many times,and alot of uneventful play. and madrid were crap. nothing out of the ordinary tonight

Agreed great post

Defence perfect, a midfield that showed truth, character, guts, dynamisim, movement, battle, all you,d want from a midfield that we are all blessed with.

Unforthunately i think Torres got too involved with the ocassion, and Pepe in particular!

Benayoun, well this was a fella i was hoping we,d see big things of this year, but after his start to the season, i thought he was looking like a bag of shit and that he probably would,nt have an impact at liverpool that his talent deserves.

He,s clever, an intelligent footballer, can run with the ball, can battle, head and tackle.

I thought he showed everything he can do tonight, and with all my heart i hope this lad goes on with the confidence he,s got from tonight, and shows what a good footballer he is, and what he can do for us in a Liverpool shirt.

Rafa,s tactics and substitutions tonight were absolutely spot on (a breath of fresh air)

We looked like a real European Liverpool tonight

Fantastic.

Fucking Quality Night

Fucking Get in

North by Northwest-15 MPH ranging to 25 MPH

I love these European results, it's Saturday and Sunday that make me Zlatan myself.

Fucking quality tonight though, well done lads. I did a little sick from my tiggy when Benny nodded the twat in.

Aye. I'm already dreading the game against Boro but nothing can beat the feeling after an away game in Europe.

We are fucking boss in Europe. And we will be until Rafa is still our manager.

I love these European results, it's Saturday and Sunday that make me Zlatan myself.

Yeah, great result but was anybody really that surprised? Rafa has proved himself over the years to be the best there is at stifling the opposition to get a result.

I thought Souness summed up Rafa perfectly though. When the opposition do the same to us he is incapable of overcoming their stifling tactics. The continual signing of mediocre "flair" players suggests he may never work out a way to correct that weakness, because it is not his forte.