You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You were spot on in all your points but the Babel one, he's coming good, can't you see it?

Very much so. I'll hold my hands up and say I've been a big critic of Babel, and have worried about his shockingly poor touch on more occasions than I care to remember, but he's put in his performances this season. Long may it continue.

Whats Lucas stand out ability?

At the moment I'd say closing down and being consistent with a lot of his passing, but he can also pass further up the field in attacking situations more, and can probably score a good few goals if he's in that area. The question about all this though seems to be about whether or not Rafa will allow him the freedom to go up there to do that.

Credit to Marseille in that match. They play very nice football and have a few players who are ridiculously comfortable on the ball. They didn't create that many clear cut chances though, and what they did create they didn't capitalise on. Judging by Atletico's superb performance tonight, they'll struggle to qualify but in light of their performance tonight and the attitude of their manager before the game, I wish them the very best of luck.

If Babel would of scored when he touched it inside it would of been a goal people talked about for years

If you're talking bout the one he blasted over I agree. I don't think the way he just smashes it should be used as a stick to beat him with. It's actually something he's really good at, getting a clean strike on the ball from almost any angle.

I no way should Kuyt start on saturday. It will be a game where Stoke have evryone behind the ball and we will need some pace and creativity to get around the back of them.

Also, might be a good time to give Degen a run out and see how he gets on and Agger and Sami to give Skirtel and Carra a rest.

Reina

Degen

Agger

Sami

Dossena

Babel

Alonso

Gerrard

Reira

Keane

Torres

Gerrard going on about 'passing' and 'possession' in all his interviews after the game, somebody isn't happy that Alonso wasn't playing.

Perhaps he was just unhappy that the passing was sloppy right across the team. Xabi isn't responsible for the passing of every player.

A big difference when Riera came on - he's a very intelligent player, and precisely what we need in such games when we're under the cosh. (In fact we could do with another 3 like him). Excellent ball retention, releasing the best pass, and helping to retain possession. The opposition can't hurt you without the ball. It relieves pressure on the back line, allows the team to regain its shape, and takes the momentum away from the opposition and puts them on the back foot. Another couple of ball retaining players in the team would make these matches much easier to watch - and I dare say play.

Agree, i like the look of this lad i must say, there was a backheel he played under pressure near the end which was simply sublime, looks a real player to me.

Great result last night, brilliant start to what could be a difficult group. I thought we did OK, first half we attacked well and looked capable of scoring more than we actually did. We tailed off attacking wise in the 2nd half, possibly due to fatigue from the weekend.

I thought the game was too open for the whole 90 minutes, at times we needed Gerrard to drop in and make it 5 across midfield but he was too far forward. Whether this is how he'd been told to play, or his fitness wouldn't allow him to keep dropping deep and then getting up to support Torres, I don't know. If he had dropped into midfield, or had a more defensive player than Benayoun been brought on in the 2nd half, I think we would have limited the space OM had to work in, and this could have cut out the chances they kept creating.

I also thought Dossena did pretty well, especially when he had possession of the ball. His first touch is very good, he can spot a pass and he can execute said pass as well. I think he'll improve as he plays more games, so hopefully we'll have a top player on our hands.

All in all a good nights work. if I'd been told last week that we'd have beaten both United and Marseille, I would have been delighted. I would have taken draws from both games but to get 2 victories is absolutely immense. Bring on Stoke!

This mightn't go down well, but now is the time to settle on a formation and set of players and stick with it. Even though we won, I thought Rafa made a bit of a balls of it last night selection wise. Alonso looked on Saturday to be getting his groove back, he should be given the next 5 games minimum to cement his place. In fact, his ability to control the tempo of the game when on form was sorely missed in the second half. We've got a fully fit squad to choose from, with serious options everywhere(Babel's form and Riera's acquisition has re-invigorated the left side), giving the likes of Benayoon and Lucas a game for the sake of it shouldn't even be a consideration.

For the next 5 games, I'd go 4-2-3-1

with Macherano, Alonso,

Gerrard, Keane, Riera/Babel,

Torres.

There is a great great opportunity here to set our stall out for the season and build a bit of momentum.

I haven't read any of this thread yet, so apologies if I repeat what others have said.

I thought that was an outstanding result against a very, very dangerous side last night. I said beforehand that an away draw would be fine in the context of qualification, but having seen the display Marseilles' forwards (they seemed to have about six of them) put on last night, I'm made up.

The goal we conceded was probably inevitable when dealing with a side that combines craft and pace like theirs, so I can't berate our boys really. I was very surprised by the way we responded, though. The match became end-to-end mayhem and I got a real sense of the players' confidence after Saturday (although I'm not sure if Rafa would have been so happy about it).

I thought we played some great stuff in the first half and all attacking players looked great. However, Gerrard's goal was truly world class. It is so easy to take him for granted at times, but fuck me - that was a great, great goal. Babel looked right up for it too and the penalty was well earned. In short, the first half was superb.

After the break, we just could not retain the ball and Marseilles hit us with wave after wave of attacks. I really felt we needed to see Xabi come on for Lucas at the same time Reira arrived. However, we muddled through in the end, thanks mainly to another world class performance. If there's a better keeper than Pepe in Europe, he must be super-human because he was as much a match winner last night as Gerrard.

Overall, I'm made up. Our football seems to be getting exciting again - but more to the point, we're winning. Come on you Reds!!!