You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trojan Horse?

I don't follow you here Paul? Who is demonising who?

To be honest with you, I can't remember. He got called all sorts on this thread. However, it's done in almost every argument on here, whether about this sort of stuff or even *ootball. If the message is unpalatable, the messenger gets slated.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are just unwilling to accept that someone else was right and that they were wrong. The refusal to say "Hey I didn't know that, I guess you were right" means they just start spouting off ever more ridiculous shit whilst increasing the density of their posts with insults and unnecessary terminology to demonstrate just how articulate they are, thus how impossible it could be that they're wrong.

I really hope Dennis Tooth is nothing more than a hugely entertaining nutter - I'd hate to go through another stupid/illegal/murderous war, having got this close to the end of the Bush Presidency. It's my (utterly uninformed) opinion that the only reason Obama would be less dangerous than Bush is that Obama would be reluctant to start wars that aren't in America's interest: if he thought the USA would benefit from nuking New Zealand, I've no doubt he'd do it. Any attack on Iran would be disastrous for the USA.

To return to the title of the thread, I'm surprised nobody's picked up on the real reason he's coming to London.

brkobma.jpg

Barack Obama Loves the Hammers | The Offside

On America joining/being complicit in an attack on Iran: they've just made the first move towards re-opening an embassy there in the last week.

On McCain's POW record: I think that is highly relevant. Anyone who can go through something like that and then emerge to become the Republican Party Presedential nominee is a man of genuine character and substance, in my view. The fact that I disagree with him on many issues doesn't change that. It's weird the way so many people demonise those who disagree with them.

Sadly Paul, the Republican party in the US right now is no where near what the Republican Party stands for (smallish goverment, fiscal responsibility etc etc). McCain is just another Republican, the best of the worst if you will. The Republican Party is in a bad spot here in the states and will rightfully take their lumps in November.

I just don't see why McCain gets anything near the praise he gets on foreign policy issues. His service and subsequent capture in Vietnam doesn't make him fit to be President. Sadly, that is what his campaign is essentially running on, and it wont work. Not in the current politcal climate of the US

:)

Got three glimpses of him this morning. One outside the side gates of Downing Street about 9am this morning. There were only about four people there with us at that point.

Second glance at about 11:30 when we waited for him to leave downing street, but we only saw him from the car where he let out a wave.

Final one was when he left the meeting with Cameron and gave us all a big wave.

What a legend.

Interesting thing on the news this morning about just how inexperienced both candidates are, Obama has only been a junior senator for a relatively short time (at the last election he was teaching at Law School and serving in the illinois senate - they compared his position as like being on Birmingham City Council) and McCain has basically got no real political credentials at all despite his old age, neither have ever Governed a city let alone a state.

It's pretty amazing that the US political system couldn't yield any more potential big hitters than what they ended up with.

Interesting thing on the news this morning about just how inexperienced both candidates are, Obama has only been a junior senator for a relatively short time (at the last election he was teaching at Law School and serving in the illinois senate - they compared his position as like being on Birmingham City Council) and McCain has basically got no real political credentials at all despite his old age, neither have ever Governed a city let alone a state.

It's pretty amazing that the US political system couldn't yield any more potential big hitters than what they ended up with.

I take it your hinting at Schwarznegger. He's foreign and therefore inaudable for President although he did also teach at a school until retiring due to stress after an incident with a man named Mr Crisp who tried to kidknapp one of his pupils.

Ignorance is not an excuse for poor posts.

On America joining/being complicit in an attack on Iran: they've just made the first move towards re-opening an embassy there in the last week.

On McCain's POW record: I think that is highly relevant. Anyone who can go through something like that and then emerge to become the Republican Party Presedential nominee is a man of genuine character and substance, in my view. The fact that I disagree with him on many issues doesn't change that. It's weird the way so many people demonise those who disagree with them.

There has been some serious doubt cast on McCain's record as a POW. There are allegations that he gave a lot of information to the North Vietnamese that was responsible for other American pilots getting shot down, and that he routinely took part in North Vietnamese propaganada broadcasts etc. His father was Commander-in-Chief of U.S. Pacific Command and the Vietnamese quickly realised his propaganda value. Interesting piece containing these allegations here:

John McCain: War Hero or North Vietnam's Go-To Collaborator?

Originally Posted by CrouchieBoy

1) he isnt George Bush

2) he isnt George Bush

and 3) he isnt George Bush

4) he isnt Hilary Clinton

As far as I'm concerned he's guilty until proven innocent. I'd love to see him make a difference, but I can't share Stu's optimism much as I'd like to. To change things significantly you'd have to confront a lot of very powerful vested interests and I'm not convinced he has enough principle or guile to do so.

There has been some serious doubt cast on McCain's record as a POW. There are allegations that he gave a lot of information to the North Vietnamese that was responsible for other American pilots getting shot down, and that he routinely took part in North Vietnamese propaganada broadcasts etc. His father was Commander-in-Chief of U.S. Pacific Command and the Vietnamese quickly realised his propaganda value. Interesting piece containing these allegations here:

John McCain: War Hero or North Vietnam's Go-To Collaborator?

4) he isnt Hilary Clinton

As far as I'm concerned he's guilty until proven innocent. I'd love to see him make a difference, but I can't share Stu's optimism much as I'd like to. To change things significantly you'd have to confront a lot of very powerful vested interests and I'm not convinced he has enough principle or guile to do so.

Thanks for the article link, man. Didn't know any of that.

Me neither - like most people I'd just taken the 'war hero' tag as a given - difficult to be sure but the article seems fairly credible.

Doesn't hold back that Douglas Valentine chap, does he?!

Barack is leading too clean a campaign to go after this, but if the boot were on the other foot the Republicans would ruin him with this stuff. A la Kerry I guess, but he was a douche in the first place.

By the way, is it just me or does anyone think Barack is greying his hair to give himself a more esteemed, older look. A few months ago there wasn't a grey hair to be found on his bonce. Wise move.

Agreed.

I can't understand the hype. He is still a politician...

Doesn't hold back that Douglas Valentine chap, does he?!

Barack is leading too clean a campaign to go after this, but if the boot were on the other foot the Republicans would ruin him with this stuff. A la Kerry I guess, but he was a douche in the first place.

By the way, is it just me or does anyone think Barack is greying his hair to give himself a more esteemed, older look. A few months ago there wasn't a grey hair to be found on his bonce. Wise move.

I just assumed it was some crusty streaks of your manlove!

Obama dismisses McCain ad attack

White House hopeful Barack Obama has hit back over a TV ad which questions his readiness to lead the US.

Republican John McCain's campaign released the ad, which juxtaposes images of Mr Obama with those of Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.

Titled "Celeb", the ad calls Mr Obama the "biggest celebrity in the world", but questions his economic policies.

The Democrat responded by accusing his rival of negative campaigning, and of only revealing what he was against.

"You need to ask John McCain what he's for, not just what he's against," Mr Obama said while on the campaign trail in Missouri.

The ad shows images of the Illinois senator speaking to a 200,000-strong crowd in Berlin last week, interspersed with shots of celebrities Spears and Hilton.

The ad, set to be broadcast in nearly a dozen key states, was followed by a rival ad from Mr Obama's own campaign team.

Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.

John McCain's latest campaign ad and Barack Obama's response

It accuses Mr McCain of practising the "policies of the past", and uses images of him with President George W Bush.

Mr Obama's chief strategist, David Axelrod, told MSNBC the McCain ad was "balony".

"I am going to paraphrase, oops he did it again," he said, playing off the title of a Britney Spears song and album. "This is not the John McCain we expected."

Rapper row

The Republicans have been keen to stress their belief that Mr Obama is not tested, not ready to lead and too out of touch with the public.

The Democrats have meanwhile distanced themselves from lyrics by supporter and rapper Ludacris, which brag about an Obama presidency being destiny, call President Bush "mentally handicapped" and say Mr McCain doesn't belong "in any chair unless he is paralysed".

Mr McCain's campaign manager said it was up to the American people to decide what was positive or negative.

"I'm going to do everything in my power to protect my candidate and to define the race in terms that I think are appropriate," said Rick Davis.

If you go here you can see the video:

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Obama dismisses McCain ad attack

• 1 month later...
Well I'm not a CN, I have indicated my sources but some is my informed belief and some is my informed knowledge and the rest is already pre-scripted in regard to what the UK will do etc.(I.e 'urge restraint')

1An attack will be made within a month, more likely in the next two weeks.

2Iran will be attacked by Isreal and backed by the US, the UK will likely 'urge restraint'

3 Who knows when but it will, it's hard to predict who has the biggest ego..

4 Obama will be lucky to make it to the WH and if he does he won't be in there long.

5The other nations are already aware of what is going on on an intelligence level and the lines are already drawn between who is on what side.

Er, we're a long way past two weeks, or even a month. So where's this war with Iran then?

Er, we're a long way past two weeks, or even a month. So where's this war with Iran then?

ALL BETS ARE OFF!

Only messing, the process has begun and did begin within the timeframe I mapped out when Georgia attacked Russian peacekeepers. I was 'pretty sure' it would be Iran but not 100%. I was aware two years ago about the Georgia situation being primed but did not know things would bend that way.

Russia is in bed with Iran as is China.

The UK is urging restraint.

Wait and see regards the rest.