You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone going to try and get a glimpse of him when he visits London this weekend?

Got no idea where he's going to be yet. but I'm surrendering my weekend to go searching for him. Would love to see him. This could be our JFK type, future of the world hinges on it, moment.

[YOUTUBE]RsWpvkLCvu4[/YOUTUBE]

What a man.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's so good about him?

That's a good question. Unfortunately the only answer I've heard so far is this one:

1) he isnt George Bush

2) he isnt George Bush

and 3) he isnt George Bush

I so want him to be more than just Blair-lite, but I think he may well be just that. I still don't know what he stands for.

Anyone going to try and get a glimpse of him when he visits London this weekend?

Got no idea where he's going to be yet. but I'm surrendering my weekend to go searching for him. Would love to see him. This could be our JFK type, future of the world hinges on it, moment.

[YOUTUBE]RsWpvkLCvu4[/YOUTUBE]

What a man.

Ha, ha. You know, you could apply for American citizenship and do us all a favour.

Chris - The tool that keeps on giving.

I don't need to read his promises. I was just asking the question in response to Chris' "what a man" statement. All politicians make grand promises as they try to gain favour before an election and althogh some of them keep many of them, they're usually over-shadowed in the end by the shitty things they do once in power.

It remains to be seen if he is elected (I think he will be, but time will tell).

I think on this side of the pond we are a bit more skeptical, since we had our own bright young leader sweep in and promise change just over a decade ago. Of course some things did change for the better under Blair, but I suspect that even his most ardent supporters would have to admit that he lost his way a bit and didn't deliver quite what was hoped. That's my view anyhow.

My point is that we are now wise to the bright young thing who comes along on a tide of euphoria; hence a little reticence or even skepticism on this side of the pond.

Ultimately the proof will be in the pudding. Let's see if he gets elected and let's see what he can do. I'm hoping he gets in.

I think the fact he's a democrat first and foremost is his best attribute. I've read some of his book and there's a lot of righteous anger in there about how Bush - in his words - has almost ruined their economy by taking borrowing to massive levels purely so he can make room for tax cuts for the top 1% of 'earners' (i.e his mates)

He also talks at length about his desire to reform the social security and health systems, I've almost never heard a US politician talk about social security as anything more than an afterthought.

Here's a tip Paul.

Have a look at Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Issues

You can see what he thinks, and what his policy is on all sorts of important things!

Plenty of broad statements, but little detail from my admittedly cursory first glance. I certainly wnat him to win, simply because, as a Democrat, he is more moderate than McCain. However, I'm not at all convinced he'll be the political hero everyone wants him to be.

Well, boys, here is the inside info, you should all know what's at stake. We are imminently about to go to war with Iran, causing high oil prices (they neglect to mention this on the news, watch them acting dumb whenever high oil prices are mentioned, scratching their hedz. Isreal is keen to act before Barack gets in power (as he wouldn't support such a thing.) McCain is a quick snack on your way out but he cannot nourish the appetite of a nation.

Once Iran and Isreal start pushing each other with indignation then things will spiral out of control and I don't mean a full on massacre ala Iraq but rather that the end time is near. the cataclysmic apocalypse refered to in the scriptures of every holy book known to mankind.

So in effect the future of the whole of mankind rests on his shoulder and yet I have a strong sense he will be killed somehow. Thats as concise as I can keep it. I'll throw that out. Why don't you guys just mull it over.

I'm not messing about here. We are here to comment on what's happening right here right now, not the past. If you want you can start a new thread entitled 'what I ate for lunch today' and actually discuss yesterdays lunch within the confines of that thread, passingly. However threads in relation to current affair affairs should always be in the here and now, no-one wants to waste time going over old ground and I don't see any merit in pursuing this any further if you're not willing to meet people halfway. Trying to throw a rusty old spanner in the works is hardly an act that will further mankind. God was right about you, the type of guy that will find the spade a great invention and go in his back yard and start digging until he falls into the sky down under under the weight of his own gravity ignorance. Yah dig?