You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WILL JAY SPEARING MAKE THE GRADE AT LIVERPOOL

Walton Park

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The odds are stacked against him. A change in policy will see some of the youngsters have a better opportunity.

I'd love to see 16 or so top players who could all play in the first team with no real drop in quality. It's the whole quantity over quality thing, and that's the way we need to go if we want to win the league.

The rest of the first team squad places will be taken up with the kids who show most promise. Spearing would be in that category, and he'd be well worth a spot in the first team squad on that sort of basis. Who knows, if he continued to progress, he might even get into the golden 16 player group.

At the moment the squad is too big and there are too many players who are decent but not world-beaters. I'd much rather sell 2-3 of these decent players to help fund one world class player, and make up the numbers from the youngsters.

Madrid thought that was the way forward as well, they were wrong.

Madrid thought that was the way forward as well, they were wrong.

If my point is taken to its extreme, then perhaps.

But I'm not arguing for Galacticos. I'm arguing for better quality and less quantity. Coupled with this I'm also arguing for some 'vacancies' to be created for the younger players.

Not a chance under Rafa, whatever way you want to look at it Rafa does'nt give youngsters a chance.

he doesn't give youngsters who aren't good enough a chance, which is most of them.

Look at what the youngsters of recent years have gone on to do most of them have done nothing to deserve a place in a top team like Liverpool.

But I'm not arguing for Galacticos. I'm arguing for better quality and less quantity. Coupled with this I'm also arguing for some 'vacancies' to be created for the younger players.

It's no different to the Zidanes and Pavons policy of a small squad of very good players and the holes filled by youth players.

I'm not overly keen on seeing a generation of young players destroyed and dragged off the pitch crying because they've been played in games that are out of their depth like happened in Madrid.

It's no coincidence that the scrapping of this policy has seen an upturn in Madrids fortune with young players only playing if they are good enough to be called up (like Miguel Torres) rather than because their are no other options.

I agree with this... really. It'll be the best of both Worlds. We are showing quality in our reserves and youth squads and they can only improve with pitch time against higher quality of players.

Loans work untill they are around 18-20 depending on skill level and then they are prem quality or they aren't sell them or play them.

If that means screwing off a few nothing special players then I'm fine with that.

We buy quality left back? Get rid of Riise and Aurelio and bring Insua up.

Drop Kewell, drop a striker, and buy a quality Left Wing and let Babel pick up the slack? That works.

Drop another striker, buy a quality one... give Nemeth time in the Carling Cup/early FA cup rounds. That works.

Give Stephen Darby a bit of pitch time because Finnan is losing his game rapidly... Let us see if he's Liverpool quality.

If not? Buy a quality Right back and let Arbeloa back him up.

I agree with this... really. It'll be the best of both Worlds. We are showing quality in our reserves and youth squads and they can only improve with pitch time against higher quality of players.

Loans work untill they are around 18-20 depending on skill level and then they are prem quality or they aren't sell them or play them.

If that means screwing off a few nothing special players then I'm fine with that.

We buy quality left back? Get rid of Riise and Aurelio and bring Insua up.

Drop Kewell, drop a striker, and buy a quality Left Wing and let Babel pick up the slack? That works.

Drop another striker, buy a quality one... give Nemeth time in the Carling Cup/early FA cup rounds. That works.

Give Stephen Darby a bit of pitch time because Finnan is losing his game rapidly... Let us see if he's Liverpool quality.

If not? Buy a quality Right back and let Arbeloa back him up.

The theory is great, I have no problem with the theory but in practice?

Are we patient enough to experiment with various young players on the off chance they might be good enough, are people willing to sacrifice another season or two without a challenge just to see if Darby or Spearing or Nemeth are good enough to step up?

I don't think so, very few top clubs operate like that for a reason.

Guest World Party

If it was up to me he would. Great little player. Only thing that works against him is his height, but he wouldn't be the only short arse in the team.

If the rumours about Alonso leaving are true, I'd bump him up to 4th choice next season. Or at least give him a few run outs in the domestic cup games.

Guest World Party
Apart from Potter, Warnock, Welsh and Mellor, spot on.

He didn't really give them a chance did he, it was more to do with a depleted squad. He soon got rid of them at the first opportunity. Why he sold Warnock and kept Riise and Aurelio is beyond me.

I'd love to see him threw in there with Gerrard in a massive game like the derby or something, thats a baptism of fire and a half, if he carried himself well in a game of that pressure you'd know the kid can make it. Unfortunately Rafa never tries things like that, and for valid reasons of course, still be good to see though.

The theory is great, I have no problem with the theory but in practice?

Are we patient enough to experiment with various young players on the off chance they might be good enough, are people willing to sacrifice another season or two without a challenge just to see if Darby or Spearing or Nemeth are good enough to step up?

I don't think so, very few top clubs operate like that for a reason.

if we're going to scrape 3rd or 4th the least we can do is play and involve young players and try and build players for the future so maybe one day we can be fantastic

if we're going to scrape 3rd or 4th the least we can do is play and involve young players and try and build players for the future so maybe one day we can be fantastic

The Policy is to buy lot's of expensive players in their early 20's not develop our own, stop messing with the policy.

• 2 months later...

i think the boy can make the grade in the prem,i would have played him today against city,a lot of people have been impressed with plessis and rightly so,but i think the lad spearing is twice as good as plessis,his passing and shooting are superb, the only thing against jay is his height,hes very small compared to most midfielders in the prem,but given his chance i think he could turn out to be a great player for us in a few years.

Jay is a great lad and i would love to see him succeed at Liverpool.

To do this he may have to try his hand at right back, a position i think he could be very good at as he has the power and stamina to get up and down and he has the tackling ability. He is also one of the best crossers of the ball at the club.

Jay is a great lad and i would love to see him succeed at Liverpool.

To do this he may have to try his hand at right back, a position i think he could be very good at as he has the power and stamina to get up and down and he has the tackling ability. He is also one of the best crossers of the ball at the club.

:thumbup:

• 3 years later...
Perfect time to revive this after his good and effective display.

Needs to start against WBA and play a lot more regularly that he has done this season.

You can't fault Jay. Whenever he plays, gives his all.

It would appear kenny doesnt agree with you. I suppose you think hes better than Lucas? He did have a decent game today but hes never gonna be good enough to be anything more than a bit part player.

It would appear kenny doesnt agree with you. I suppose you think hes better than Lucas? He did have a decent game today but hes never gonna be good enough to be anything more than a bit part player.

I would still keep him even if he was only a bit part player, better than any journeyman or foreigner to do that role, he loves the club and it shows when he plays!

Perfect time to revive this after his good and effective display.

Needs to start against WBA and play a lot more regularly that he has done this season.

You can't fault Jay. Whenever he plays, gives his all.

In place of who?

Our problem this season has not been with winning the ball in the middle and getting it forward. It's attackers missing chances and defenders letting in very cheap goals with the very limited attacks our midfield are letting behind them.

Jay is good enough to be decent back up, but I don't see who should be dropped for him. I'm sure everyone is going to say Lucas, but I just think Lucas offers more.

I like Jay though. I just wonder what will happen to him in the future if we do go out and get another midfielder. He's already clearly just back up in Kennys mind given the very limited chances he's got. You feel that if he wants to have a proper career that he can be proud of that he may have to move on some day soon and get himself a starting berth somewhere. Very hard decision though as I think I'd be happy with the bench if it meant getting to stay at the club I love.

Before Kenny took over I would have said no chance. But he proved at the end of the last season that hes a decent player and more than deserves his place in the squad. I also think there's not that much to choose between him Lucas and Adam and like to see him given the chance to play alongside Gerrard

I'm more than happy to eat my words in this instance.

Before Kenny took over I would have said no chance. But he proved at the end of the last season that hes a decent player and more than deserves his place in the squad. I also think there's not that much to choose between him Lucas and Adam and like to see him given the chance to play alongside GerrardI'm more than happy to eat my words in this instance.

Not sure I'd agree there mate. I was worried about the Adam signing, but barring one blip I think he has been very very good. His range of passing and awareness has been excellant. They are very different players anyway.

As i said above, I think Lucas is better, but Lucas gets many more games. Anytime Spearing comes in, bar one or two instances he has not let us down and hs in fact been very good, so I wouldn't mind him getting a run in a midfield that had Adam and Gerrard. I just wonder if Kenny thinks the same.