You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Gangs Of New York - 7/10.

I hadn't seen this in ages, and it's probably one of those films that is deemed to be better now than it was on release. Visually it is certainly brilliant. The thing that struck me most having watched it again is just how similar it is to The Departed. Di Caprio's Amsterdam Vallon is very similar to his Billy Costigan, having to maintain a persona and behave in a way that is the total opposite to what he believes in, in order to remain close to the film's antagonist. Day-Lewis' Bill The Butcher is very similar to Nicholson's Frank Costello in that he chews the scenery and has that air of menace constantly bubbling under the surface, making it tense for people to be around him. Both films were directed by Scorsese.

Chinatown - 9/10

I watched Chinatown last week, for the very first time, and while I really enjoyed it, I was blown away by just how eerily similar some of the visuals and sets were to Hitchcock's Vertigo.

The first half hour, especially, several of the scenes were just a little too familiar.

Don't know whether that's due to a deliberate Polanski nod, or outright plagarism, or (probably) down to my imagination.

Crackin noir.

End Of Watch - 8/10. Very enjoyable and realistic.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Although, think it would have been better had they both died.

Also the bit after the funeral where they are in the Police car chatting about when he first slept with his wife, was pointless and badly acted. Put a dampner on an otherwise well acted movie.

Regretfully just had to neg Total Longo for dissing Zulu. One of my favourite films ever, that. The build towards the battle scenes is electric.

To be fair, Lurtzy, I fell asleep. After 40 minutes. I was tired anyway, the chances are Terminator 2 wouldn't have kept me awake. So i shall endeavour to watch the final hour and a half and if it improves significantly, I will be back on to say so.