You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Is there anything in the rules that it has to be a film you watched all the way through. Missy wanted to watch Elf together...its still on but I had to leave the room or I would have done something I regretted. Painfully painfully shit 0/10

Island Of Death - Fucking insane 'video Nasty' from the 70's. A brother and sister fuck their way across a Greek island while partaking in bestiality, rape, water-sports, lots of murder, racism, homophobia and copious amounts of full-on incest. It's all done in such an over the top way that it stops being disturbing and becomes very, very funny. While some (well most) will think it's vile nonsense I actually quite liked it, but then I viewed it as some sort of absurd comedy.

Jeez, with all that going on they still find the time to have a go on the jet skis.

Hobbit. 4/10 poorly paced and directed and actually quite dull at times. Special fx very mixed

The Hobbit - 4/10. It felt like one of those Terry Pratchett shows that Sky do mixed up with the Star Wars Thanksgiving Special.

People who don't read Tolkien books or at least have a basic understanding of what they're about shouldn't watch movies about Tolkien books if these are the best critiques on offer as a result. Alternatively "I didn't get it" would be fine.

"Poorly paced"? "Dull"? Jesus. Not enough car chases in it for you or something?

Is there anything in the rules that it has to be a film you watched all the way through. Missy wanted to watch Elf together...its still on but I had to leave the room or I would have done something I regretted. Painfully painfully shit 0/10

Repped. Elf is fucking shite. I've never understood why anyone finds it funny. I took Lurtz junior to see it when he was young. He thought it was ace and I kind of understood why; it's because he was seven years old. Doesn't make it any good though, it's a fucking abomination of a film.

Bless her. Shortly after I posted the above the film finished and Missy calls out, 'Its finished now, Mummy' Was I that obvious? (And no, I've no idea why a 13year old grumpy adolescent still calls me Mummy)

Being a big Lord of the rings fan The Hobbit was always going to score high in my book. Its as good as the others, the visual effects in 3D were magnificent, cant wait for the next instalment.

McKellen was brilliant as Gandalf again

9/10 ,

People who don't read Tolkien books or at least have a basic understanding of what they're about shouldn't watch movies about Tolkien books if these are the best critiques on offer as a result. Alternatively "I didn't get it" would be fine.

"Poorly paced"? "Dull"? Jesus. Not enough car chases in it for you or something?

I have read them, mate. I "got" the film just fine. It was an overlong nostalgia trip for those that loved the other Jackson films that could have been done with trimming by at least half. I did think the scene with the riddles was excellent but it stood out because as far as the rest goes, I just thought it was a poor film, especially when compared to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The efforts at comedy were clunky for the most part, characters were shoehorned in just so fans could say "Oh, look! It's them! Thingy from the first one!" and the higher frame rate just didn't work - it made it look like a TV show.

The book is great. It does not need too much fucking with to get it right (see the graphic novel adaptation or the old BBC Radio adaptation). Now I realise that Jackson is a film making award or two ahead of me, but I think the decision to stretch it over three films might not necessarily be the right one.

Island Of Death - Fucking insane 'video Nasty' from the 70's. A brother and sister fuck their way across a Greek island while partaking in bestiality, rape, water-sports, lots of murder, racism, homophobia and copious amounts of full-on incest. It's all done in such an over the top way that it stops being disturbing and becomes very, very funny. While some (well most) will think it's vile nonsense I actually quite liked it, but then I viewed it as some sort of absurd comedy.

Thought it was a bit crap myself, but it's definitely memorable!

I liked Elf.

Thought it was a bit crap myself, but it's definitely memorable!

I liked Elf.

Oh it's definitely crap, but I was laughing my head off throughout, I found it really entertaining albeit probably not in the way the director intended. It's so over the top it needs to be seen to be believed.

I also really like Elf.

Elf is boss. I think Will Ferrell mostly makes crappy comedies but Elf is a really sweet, funny film. Plus Zooey is in it.

Agree with that, but Zooey with blonde hair isn't quite right.

The Hobbit tomorrow afternoon for me. Can't wait.

Don't really watch a lot of films anymore but I went to see Sightseers last week; brilliantly dark humoured story of a couple who go on a trip round the likes of Keswick Pencil Museum and develop a mutual love of murder. Well shot, great soundtrack and actually a lovely little story about how people adapt their behaviour to impress their partners.

8/10

Just watched 'Black Swan' - 8/10

One of those films where you're not entirely sure what's objective reality and what's going on in the protagonist's mind.

Plus it's got two seriously erotic scenes featuring Natalie Portman flicking her bean and lezzing off with Mila Kunis. First and probably only time I'll watch a film about ballet with a semi on.

Just watched 'Black Swan' - 8/10

One of those films where you're not entirely sure what's objective reality and what's going on in the protagonist's mind.

Plus it's got two seriously erotic scenes featuring Natalie Portman flicking her bean and lezzing off with Mila Kunis. First and probably only time I'll watch a film about ballet with a semi on.

If you enjoyed that, you should give Roman Polanski's 'Repulsion' a go. It's slower than 'Black Swan' but a much better film in my opinion. Aronofsky cited 'Repulsion' as one of his main influences.

The second collaboration between McDonagh and Colin Farrell, following 2008's In Bruges, which I loved.

Well this was very poor indeed. The film opened with James Darmody and Rothstein from Boardwalk Empire both getting killed by Psychopath #1 and I though this looks good.

Well it was a mess of 1 liners and by the end it completely lost its way.

They should have shot the dog is all i will say....